• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I toured the gun shops in my area looking to do some volunteer gunsmithing and one guy told me they don't really need one anymore since YouTube has everything now. Wonder how good the youtube is with a full disassembly of a 30-30.

;)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That's the DIY speed hammer mod. If you are too cheap to buy the JP Speed Hammer that is what some do. Its mainly for 3-gun shooters. I have the real deal in one of my ARs although I usually dropped a Geissele S3G into anything that was speed shooting.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As mentioned, that is a common "high speed" hammer modification. When you install light springs you often have to reduce hammer mass. This is the correct way to do it.

The hammer is a notched semi auto hammer.

The Colt Expanse comes this way out of the box. JP Hammers are designed with this principle of low mass.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    As mentioned, that is a common "high speed" hammer modification. When you install light springs you often have to reduce hammer mass. This is the correct way to do it.

The hammer is a notched semi auto hammer.

The Colt Expanse comes this way out of the box. JP Hammers are designed with this principle of low mass.
    i appreciate your reply.
    i understand what you are saying, but arent the lighter springs supposed to be color coded? these are not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i appreciate your reply.
    i understand what you are saying, but arent the lighter springs supposed to be color coded? these are not.

You are correct, but sometimes people bend the factory springs instead of buying replacements, which I dont think is good. Perhaps this is the case here?

Brake cleaner will also strip the paint off of springs too. Some people use that instead of gunscrubber.

I think the Colt expanses come with a standard hammer spring and the hammer is silverish looking.

Is this a Colt?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Light hammer spring and a Mil-Spec hammer spring.

Mil-Specs have an extra turn. Or you could say light springs have one less turn. True 100% of the time? Don't know.

Sorry I couldn't get my foot in the pic. Hope it helps.

hammer spring 001.jpg

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You are correct, but sometimes people bend the factory springs instead of buying replacements, which I dont think is good. Perhaps this is the case here?

Brake cleaner will also strip the paint off of springs too. Some people use that instead of gunscrubber.

I think the Colt expanses come with a standard hammer spring and the hammer is silverish looking.

Is this a Colt?

not a colt. bushmaster upper with an anderson lower. i will be pulling it down for inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom