• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In .223 ( and most cal that aren't way overbore) the biggest factor in throat errosion is bbl temerature. Ie rapid fire once the bbl gets warm. Potentially a big thing with mag dumps in a semi, not so much with a bolt.

Throat errosion only becomes a problem when accuracy deteriorates beyond your needs/ expectations. Bolts Rock has quoted typical bbl round counts for Service Rifle / F Class competitors. But you can go farther and still be minute of groundhog, and further still to be typical for chrome lined mil spec on an AR .

And on a basic note, throat errosion has to due with flame temperature ( and chemical engeneering fiddly details) at the throat, and not velocity per se.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    H335 was always my go-to, and it never disappointed. Now granted I had a 1:9 24" barrel, but 25.3gr (IIRC) H335 under 69gr and 75gr pills were an absolute winner in my rifle.

Hey Brad!!

I know you put "If I Remember Correctly", but, you might want to check that.

My go-to load has been 23.0 grains of H-335 with 69 gr Sierra MatchKings, and in my bolt rifle, the primers START to flatten.
    (In the Colt R6601, they look really good, after firing.)

With 55 grain boolits, 25.3 grains is 'golden', in my rifles.

You MIGHT have the numbers transposed. :shrug:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hey Brad!!

I know you put "If I Remember Correctly", but, you might want to check that.

My go-to load has been 23.0 grains of H-335 with 69 gr Sierra MatchKings, and in my bolt rifle, the primers START to flatten.
    (In the Colt R6601, they look really good, after firing.)

With 55 grain boolits, 25.3 grains is 'golden', in my rifles.

You MIGHT have the numbers transposed. :shrug:

For the Savage 10 FP-LE, in it's 24" .223 Rem configuration, the load was 25.3gr H335, Tula SRP, COL of 2.390" - just checked my logs. The same charge as my 69gr Nosler loads, but with a diff't COL. :)

Going by Lyman's 49th, the Max is 25.1 H335 at that COL. Hodgdon has the online max listed at 23gr at a 2.250" COL.

In THAT specific rifle, there were no pressure signs. But that barrels throat was also VERY well worn - the first 3/16" of barrel had nearly no visible rifling left in it - but it'd still shoot extremely well.

Obviously, that specific load is definitely not to be just used on any given rifle, as it may yield 'less than satisfactory results' - but in that shot out barrel, it was pure gold.

This was a 105 yard target, with the 69gr Nosler load, but the 75gr BTHP's printed identically.

G2.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For the Savage 10 FP-LE, in it's 24" .223 Rem configuration, the load was 25.3gr H335, Tula SRP, COL of 2.390" - just checked my logs. The same charge as my 69gr Nosler loads, but with a diff't COL. :)

Going by Lyman's 49th, the Max is 25.1 H335 at that COL. Hodgdon has the online max listed at 23gr at a 2.250" COL.

In THAT specific rifle, there were no pressure signs. But that barrels throat was also VERY well worn - the first 3/16" of barrel had nearly no visible rifling left in it - but it'd still shoot extremely well.

Obviously, that specific load is definitely not to be just used on any given rifle, as it may yield 'less than satisfactory results' - but in that shot out barrel, it was pure gold.

This was a 105 yard target, with the 69gr Nosler load, but the 75gr BTHP's printed identically.

View attachment 195963

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That number just looked high to me.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That number just looked high to me.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

It was an odd-ball. My 55gr, 69gr, and 75gr rounds all really came to life at 25.3gr H335. Different COL's for each, but the powder charge remained the same.

Was kind of nice to not have to worry about adjusting my powder drop station when switching projectiles. :D

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    I didn't read the rest of the answers, but I like Varget, H335, H4198, IMR4198 and H322, but for heavier load Varget is great, in my opinion

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    OK, it seems that my buddy is getting out of loading and I have scored 3 lbs of Benchmark same lot#s at a great price. I guess I will try that as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom