• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    My 1st home built .308, from a 80% lower with a complete upper assembly from Alpha Shooting Sports.

The problem is that when the bolt is back the fired brass doesn't want to release from the extractor. The bolt either hangs open, stove piping, or partially shuts trying force the empty brass back into battery behind the next round or jams it up into the top of the upper.

The BCG was greased appropriately and dipped in Mobil 1, it's plenty wet.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm thinking that maybe the extractor spring is too strong. Does that make sense?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Out of curiosity, how does it cycle if you just cycle it manually with the CH?

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Out of curiosity, how does it cycle if you just cycle it manually with the CH?

Same problem.

However, Alpha recommended removing the O-rings from the extractor spring. I did that and manually cycled 40 rounds through. About 9 out of 10 rounds extracted and ejected properly. I'll try to get to the range in the next few days for a live fire test.

Thanks!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sounds like excess extractor tension. It could also have a weak ejector spring, or an ejector bore that was drilled too deep reducing ejector tension.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Progress! Removing the 2 O-rings freed up the extractor so now extraction and ejection is working.

Next problem - the trigger didn't want to reset. I backed out the pistol grip screw a bit and it made a world of difference. But I still get an occasional incident where the disconnector doesn't want to let go of the hammer. I can flick the trigger forward and all is well.

But I'd like to get it right. Before I take a file to the disconnector should I consider this a "breaking-in" issue and run more rounds through? The disconnector and hammer are greased - maybe they need more?

All suggestions & observations are welcome!

Thanks

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I would check the depth of your fire control group pocket. If you're not a solid 1.25" (I think it's the same as an AR-15) you'll have problems. 1.25 plus a little is fine, but less than 1.25 won't work.

Last edited:

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I would check the depth of your fire control group pocket. If you're not a solid 1.25" (I think it's the same as an AR-15) you'll have problems. 1.25 plus a little is fine, but less than 1.25 won't work.

Thanks, but I don't think that was the issue. Maybe. Because I did notice a tiny ridge left between the trigger hole and the pistol grip screw hole. The Dremel took care of that in just a few seconds.

The trigger was part of a LPK, basically a real cheapie. A little attention with a fine file and some 2000 grit sandpaper on the disconnector and hammer engagement surfaces helped a lot. But still a problem.

Then I picked up & installed a no-name trigger from Midway on sale for $30 and she's now running great!

I have to say, I was amazed at how easy it is to put together an AR from an 80% lower. A Craftsman benchtop drill press and a Bosch router were all the cutting tools I needed. I can spin a wrench but I'm not even close to being a gunsmith nor machinist.

The upper assembly was purchased complete. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom