• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Taser Lawsuits Filed across east coast

So we filed a taser case in NJ today. The case is essentially the same as the one George Lyons filed in D.C. We have been in contact. A copy of the complaint is in the link. We will see how these go. If D.C. and New Jersey fall I might take a trip down the east coast to tackle the last three states with bans. RI NY and Mass.

http://www.sdslaw.us/single-post/20...-against-New-Jersey-to-overturn-the-Taser-ban
    Today, we filed a lawsuit against New Jersey to overturn the Taser ban

August 11, 2016

The case, styled New Jersey Second Amendment Society and Mark Cheeseman v. Christopher S. Porrino, in his official capacity as Acting Attorney General and Colonel Rick Fuentes, in his official capacity as Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, was filed today seeking to overturn the stun gun/Taser ban in New Jersey.

My co-counsel Alan Beck and Ryan Watson are involved in this fight. This will be the second New Jersey case we have brought together. You can read the case here.

The complaint seeks the following relief:

WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs request that judgment be entered in their favor and against Defendants as follows:

An order preliminarily and permanently enjoining Defendants, their officers, agents, servants, employees, and all persons in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of the injunction, from enforcing N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-3(h) to ban the acquisition, possession, carrying or use of Tasers and other electronic arms;

An order declaring that N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-3(h) is unconstitutional and violates the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution;

An order declaring N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-3(h) unenforceable;

Costs of suit, including attorney fees and costs pursuant to 42 U.S.C. §1988;

Such other Declaratory relief consistent with the injunction as appropriate; and

Such other further relief as the Court deems just and appropriate.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some Maryland counties have bans in statute. Baltimore County is not enforcing it now. It is not clear to me where Howard County or Baltimore City is.

Baltimore city would be one I'd like to see, because their knife laws are ridiculous as well. I would like to get a chink in the armor and have it all come crashing down.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some Maryland counties have bans in statute. Baltimore County is not enforcing it now. It is not clear to me where Howard County or Baltimore City is.

Baltimore city would be one I'd like to see, because their knife laws are ridiculous as well. I would like to get a chink in the armor and have it all come crashing down.

Add ocean city to that list.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would like to see the Howard County Ban go down.

On the one hand, as a HoCo taxpayer, I would like to see the Howard County ban go down the way BC ban went down: BC Atty decided it was unconstitutional. Let's not have taxpayers pay legal fees. On the other hand, isn't it like forcing everyone in HC to chip in to fight civil rights? Maybe to wolfwood? I am conflicted.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Its a lot easier for a county to repeal its ordiance than it is for a state to repeal its law. So I got a feeling that those ordinances will go away on its own. However I'd be happy to help out a enterprising attorney that wants a win who is licensed in MD

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up and wishing you success.
    When did Baltimore County stop enforcing their ban? When tried to order a stun gun awhile back the company would not ship to BC

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    When did Baltimore County stop enforcing their ban? When tried to order a stun gun awhile back the company would not ship to BC

Not sure. It is pretty recent though, as in the last few months. Here is the relevant note in the BC code:

https://www.municode.com/library/md...s?nodeId=ART17MIPROF_TIT2FIWE_S17-2-104ELCODE

Editor's note— The Supreme Court of the United States held in Caetano v. Massachusetts, 577 U.S. ;daterule;(2016) that a Massachusetts law banning the possession of a "stun gun" by a person other than law enforcement personnel or a weapons supplier violates the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Baltimore County Attorney believes that the holding applies to, and effectively abrogates, Section 17-2-104 of the Baltimore County Code as currently written.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'll be curious how/if they defend this. They're usual line of defense is:"Our state courts have upheld it, so it's constitutional."

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    I'll be curious how/if they defend this. They're usual line of defense is:"Our state courts have upheld it, so it's constitutional."

My guess would be the 2A-Two-Step via intermediate scrutiny. The Caetano PC ruling did not invalidate stun gun bans. It rejected the MA SJC reasoning that affirmed the ban.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    My guess would be the 2A-Two-Step via intermediate scrutiny. The Caetano PC ruling did not invalidate stun gun bans. It rejected the MA SJC reasoning that affirmed the ban.

I imagine you are right. The D.C. case is first. They are filing a PI in their case. If D.C. rules in Lyons favor that will be two court Michigan and D.C. in favor and zero against tasers. If that is the case I think we will be in good shape. If D.C. rules against George then we will be in for a fight. I've got one taser case up on appeal on the Ninth. I hope these two get done before the Ninth rules so it can help that ruling.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

That'll be a stretch, not that they won't try. This is a total ban and the precedent for less lethal weapons is against them from the get go. So eventually if this gets to CA3 they may be in a position to strike the ban or split with the Michigan appeals court (cited in Caetano) and the CT supreme Court who ruled batons were also 2A protected.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    That'll be a stretch, not that they won't try. This is a total ban and the precedent for less lethal weapons is against them from the get go. So eventually if this gets to CA3 they may be in a position to strike the ban or split with the Michigan appeals court (cited in Caetano) and the CT supreme Court who ruled batons were also 2A protected.

Also the Wisconsin Court of Appeals struck down WI switchblade ban.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Its a lot easier for a county to repeal its ordiance than it is for a state to repeal its law. So I got a feeling that those ordinances will go away on its own. However I'd be happy to help out a enterprising attorney that wants a win who is licensed in MD
    In the past, in other subject matters, the filing of a lawsuit is often enough to get a county or city govt to repeal their ordinance, rather than fight it.

This is the kind of example of why the ban needs to be repealed/removed rather than just ignored. Ignored laws can change at any moment to suddenly be enforced.

If the opinion is that the ban is unconstitutional, it needs to be removed ASAP.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    everytown filed an amicus in the dc taser case

I didn't feel like making a new thread so I am just putting it here

Attachments

• everytown taser brief.pdf
      349.9 KB · Views: 155

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    everytown filed an amicus in the dc taser case

I didn't feel like making a new thread so I am just putting it here

They don't seem to take any real position on the stun gun ban other than they want the courts to continue with the weak intermediate scrutiny standard that has basically killed all but a few 2A challenges.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    They don't seem to take any real position on the stun gun ban other than they want the courts to continue with the weak intermediate scrutiny standard that has basically killed all but a few 2A challenges.

But of course, laws infringing on rights that emanate from penumbras should be subject to strict scrutiny. Obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom