45 Acres in Baltimore County - Now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If I was you, I would sell it and buy land in a FREE STATE!. PA or WVA comes to mind. Balt Cnty is almost as bad as the city is.... I will never buy land in the non republik of commie MD..

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If I was you, I would sell it and buy land in a FREE STATE!. PA or WVA comes to mind. Balt Cnty is almost as bad as the city is.... I will never buy land in the non republik of commie MD..

Oh my, that's so helpful. You think he didn't give it some thought before he signed the 26 pieces of paper to close on a property ?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Or maybe more of us staying and living here can get some political change. I know, pretty damned unlikely, but if every hunter, sportsman and gun owner runs away there certainly won't ever be change (for the better).

Mule789

Dec 23, 2016
    First and foremost I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread.

I guess a quick update on where we are:

- We have posted no trespassing/no hunting signs on the edges of the property.
    - Made a few phone calls to the county about the legality of some of the proposed activities would be used for.
    - Had a few conversations with the neighbors about any sightings of other hunters on the land.
    - As for progress on the deer front, we find 3 or 4 mature does with young in the backyard every other day or so. The only problem is we haven't seen any bucks yet. Our hopes are to set up some feeders with trail cams to see what is out there for September. I snagged a few photos of the does at the front door.

Also, I apologize for getting to this late. Quite honestly when I posted the thread I enabled email notifications for replies however the notifications were going to my junk folder. So I just though the thread was overlooked. Again, I appreciate everyone's kind words and feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpg
      IMG_1547.jpg
      118.1 KB · Views: 120
    • IMG_1555.jpg
      IMG_1555.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 120

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    DNR Permission to hunt card
    https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/Content/Downloads/MD DNR COMPASS Permission to Hunt_Trap Form.pdf

Blue Blazes
    Maryland law also allows property owners to use bright blue oil base paint on trees to mark property boundaries. The paint mark must be a vertical mark at least 2 inches wide and at least 8 inches in length. The mark must be at least 3 feet from the ground but no more than 6 feet high. An observer should be able to see marks to his left and right when standing between marked trees. Your hunters can assist with boundary maintenance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This time of year, most bucks will have dropped antlers so they can be harder to tell from does. Also deer tend to have herded up.

That said, as much as I'd love a nice sized buck, just having a huntable property that gets does would be amazing to me.

I have to get through this big home renovation and pay down/pay off my loan for it that'll take a few years (I am hoping no more than 5), but then I am on the hunt for land. Hopefully prices don't skyrocket in the mean time. I had been thinking of buying 30+ acres. Talking to a coworker a couple of days ago I realized that might not be the way to go. Now I am thinking 10-20 of the "right" property and I can hunt it, even if not a huge area. In the right county/state I can still set up a 50yd, or maybe even a 75 or 100 yard little range to shoot at every once in awhile. Build a cabin and use it as a hunting and get away from crap property.

Then when I retire or get close to retirement and I can sell my house and move away from Baltimore and I don't have kids in school and care about the quality of the school system, I can then afford a big property some where like WV or far western MD (preference I think would be for WV) and look for that 40-100 acre property and because my wife will complain bitterly some small condo in a big city for living a few months a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom