• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    And CBS resports this as 'serious' news ...
    Education pick Betsy DeVos cites grizzlies in Wyoming when asked about guns in schools

President-elect Donald Trump’s education secretary pick Betsy DeVos’ sparked outrage among Democrats and many on social media on Tuesday when she cited the threat posed by grizzly bears in her response to a question about guns in schools during a confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill.

Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, who has pushed for stricter gun regulation since Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in his state, asked DeVos during the hearing if she supported guns in schools.
    “I think that is best left to locales and states to decide,” she said. “If the underlying question is...”

Murphy, a Democrat, interrupts by asking, “You can’t say definitively today that guns shouldn’t be in schools?”

“Well, well I would refer back to Senator Enzi and the school he was referring to in Wapiti, Wyoming, and that there is probably a gun in the school to protect from potential grizzlies,” she said.

Murphy later tweeted that he was “shaken to the core” by her answer.

He should be shaken to HIS core ... He's an ideologue who interrupts and bullies, and CBS can't even discern a statement of fact and from a reference to someone else's comment. Besides, considering the school's geographic location, her referred answer made perfect sense.

NSSF.org -
    Sen. Chris Murphy on Guns: The Facts Are Not with Him

Last edited:

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I listened to some of her testimony. She doesn't seem to be that knowledgeable about education, nor was she able to answer simple questions. I don't think she appeared that bright.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I hear ya, but ...

I listened to some of her testimony. She doesn't seem to be that knowledgeable about education, nor was she able to answer simple questions. I don't think she appeared that bright.

Different issue ...

She was interrupted when trying to make her point about states and local school boards having the decision about allowing firearms in schools. Which should properly be the correct position for the 'Federal' Dept. of Education. We no longer want bureaucrats in DC to dictate to the states what THEY think is best for OUR kids. Imagine Common Core with gun control.:mad54:

Reading the referenced NSSF piece, Murphy's goal is NATIONAL gun control, so any means to that end would satisfy his tact in confirming or not confirming an appointee ... regardless of their qualifications or how they are made to appear on the six o'clock news.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny thing was, after Sandy Hook, either SD or UT allowed school staff with permits to carry in school. The state that did not allow this, passed a bill to allow it.

WOW, states that decide for themselves, and figure out, armed school staff can stop an armed intruder faster than law enforcement can respond.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

If DeVos could wave a magic wand and get rid of public schools and privatize the whole system, she would :thumbsup:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    She's an idiot and the worst possible candidate for this post.

OK fine, be against something, but at least be able to define what it is you're against before stating your opposition.

She can't even define the most basic of educational programs, jargon, or processes and yet she's against all of them.

She might be the smartest person at what she does, but education ain't it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    She's an idiot and the worst possible candidate for this post.

OK fine, be against something, but at least be able to define what it is you're against before stating your opposition.

She can't even define the most basic of educational programs, jargon, or processes and yet she's against all of them.

She might be the smartest person at what she does, but education ain't it.
    Caught me off guard too. Big Jeb Bush supporter and I believe a common core advocate (without getting into the weeds of whether it's good or bad - I know you've shared thoughts on this). When Trump was campaigning, I thought he or surrogates were against it. Anyway, DeVos and Crowley (with the heavily plagiarized book, PhD thesis, and other work) have been the real duds.

Even though the Dept of State candidate Tillerson had a rough hearing, I like the idea and hope he works out well. The Dept of Defense will clearly be in capable hands with Mattis, Pompeo for CIA seems like a strong selection, and the AG pick Sessions is solid. Some good ambassador picks as well. Keeping Conway in a WH capacity is great too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Caught me off guard too. Big Jeb Bush supporter and I believe a common core advocate (without getting into the weeds of whether it's good or bad - I know your shared thoughts on this). When Trump was campaigning, I thought he or surrogates were against it. Anyway, DeVos and Crowley (with the heavily plagiarized book, PhD thesis, and other work) have been the real duds.

Even though the Dept of State candidate had a rough hearing, I like the idea and hope he works out well. The Dept of Defense will clearly be in capable hands, and the AG pick is solid. Some good ambassador picks as well. Keeping Conway in a WH capacity is great too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Clearly transparent political appointment who is operating way out of her lane. I get the whole argument for why public schools are underperforming, and my critique is well established here, but she doesn't even know why she's against something.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Clearly transparent political appointment who is operating way out of her lane. I get the whole argument for why public schools are underperforming, and my critique is well established here, but she doesn't even know why she's against something.

Maybe I missed it, but, what is she against?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    She's anti-public schools period.

Is that the case, or is she (like the rest of us) fed up with DC dictates for public education ? You have to admit that you're less in control of what and how subjects are being taught than say even 10 years ago, and most of the edicts have either come from DC or 'leveraged' by the loss of Federal funds funneled to the state.

I don't mean to veer of thread, since my intent was to focus on Murphy's attack on guns in school (thus using the National 2A forum). which is a small aspect of DC's need to control what you think and do staring in K-12.

Sing it with me ...
    In-Doctri-Nation ... In-Doctri-Na-A-tion

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I was really hoping she was brought in to dismantle the Dept of Ed, in which case she wouldn't require much knowledge of education. A pipe dream I know.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    And CBS resports this as 'serious' news ...
    Education pick Betsy DeVos cites grizzlies in Wyoming when asked about guns in schools

He should be shaken to HIS core ... He's an ideologue who interrupts and bullies, and CBS can't even discern a statement of fact and from a reference to someone else's comment. Besides, considering the school's geographic location, her referred answer made perfect sense.

NSSF.org -
    Sen. Chris Murphy on Guns: The Facts Are Not with Him

Oh I'm not surprised. Liberals are always "shocked", "outraged", "appalled", or "shaken to the core" by something. The price of being a hysterical drama queen I guess.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD
    She's anti-public schools period.

No, you are off-base here. School choice should be the default in the US, not a directed system that traps you in the local school system that is failing and staffed by teachers that have reached tenure and are un-touchable.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    No, you are off-base here. School choice should be the default in the US, not a directed system that traps you in the local school system that is failing and staffed by teachers that have reached tenure and are un-touchable.

You do have choice, just not using tax money to do it.

And there is no such thing as "untouchable tenure". Move off of that talking point right now because its simply not true.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom