• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm not a big fan of shiny handguns in general. Don't get me wrong, I think nickle and polished-stainless steel looks good on Colt and S&W revolvers. I just don't care much for it on anything else. I'm not all that crazy about either matte stainless or 'urban' gray' but I own handguns in each of those finishes.

So when CZ announced availability on a 'stainless' P-01 (Sku #91197) last year it didn't interest me all that much. Between the pimp-daddy polished finish and the half-ass electro-penciled roll-marks, it was disappointing and considering how long CZ fans had been clamoring for a real stainless 75 Compact of some kind it was doubly-disappointing.

6l0y5va.jpg

ELNOGYy.jpg

So, I passed. $750-850 just didn't seem like that great of a deal and I figured sooner or later CZ would make a matte version of it. Turns-out, that was probably a good move because, now that these guns have gotten some wear and tear on them, the 'stainless' finish appears to be flaking-off and it has come to light that these pistols aren't really stainless, at all. The finish is, in fact, some type of plating that CZ-USA/UB has been (understandably) reluctant to admit to owners who bought them under the assumption that they were stainless steel guns and are now having problems.

rzlm5eZ.jpg

dyGWn9V.jpg

Shame on you, CZ. There's no excuse for this kind of flim-flam BS.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Yeah, making a shitty gun is one thing. Making a shitty gun and marketing it as something it isn't is...fraud.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is there a metallurgical reason that - for that metal/finish - it makes more sense to use a laser for those markings?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Is there a metallurgical reason that - for that metal/finish - it makes more sense to use a laser for those markings?

qmGyqbv.jpg

Wouldn't think so. Stainless 75's have normal roll-marks. It doesn't matter if they're either matte, brushed, or polished.

r100rsman

Mar 9, 2017
    Olney
    I own two CZ pistols (CZ97 and SP-01) and love them both. They shoot like a dream and the SP-01 is the most accurate handgun I own.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    that is shocking. all the cz products I have ever seen have been very high quality. I can't believe they would but out something with garbage marks and finish like that.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I own two CZ pistols (CZ97 and SP-01) and love them both. They shoot like a dream and the SP-01 is the most accurate handgun I own.

I own 7 of them. That's not the point. The point is, who the FVCK do they think they are, pulling this kind of fraud BS on American gun-buyers? These guns were marketed and sold last year as stainless steel. They are not. They're some type of cheap-ass plating over regular carbon steel that eventually flakes and wears-off after use. No 'stainless steel' that I'm familiar with does that.

r100rsman

Mar 9, 2017
    Olney
    I think it would be most helpful to hear from someone actually owns one of these chrome beauties and what their experience has been.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    That is really awful. I had to go take a pic of the rollmark on my 75b and zoom in to see if I just hadn't noticed how bad things were. It's nice and clean, but zzzzz_man is right, the workmanship is bad enough, but calling it a stainless gun is outrageous...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Now see who says you can't polish a turd. Myth forever busted!!

I'll tell ya what, that's some mighty fine turd-polishin' right there! :lol2:

I'll tell ya somethin' else: Of all our Warsaw Pact adversaries during the Cold War, I probably admired the Czechs the most. I had no respect for the East Germans and only a grudging-respect for the Russians because I knew we could kick their asses in any one-on-one fight but, the Czechs weren't afraid of us, made great guns, built ungodly motorcycles and were well trained/well-paid compared to their Red Army comrades. I had no desire to pick a fight with them.

I got my first taste of CZ in 1978 during a Warsaw Pact weapons familiarization day at the range. I shot an Israeli-captured CZ 75 and I knew that one day I'd have one in my gun collection. I was that impressed with it. Now, forty years later, I own several and like them all but, you can't tell me that a gun manufacturer, like CZ, didn't have a hand in this charade. You can't tell me they didn't know these P-01's weren't really stainless steel. As far as I'm concerned this puts CZ in the same realm as Nigerian princes wanting me to hold-on to their personal fortunes for them and Russian mail-order brides.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Looked at the photo of the 75B in high-polish stainless on the CZ website, and it looks nothing like the photos posted here and on The Original CZ Forum.

One post on OCZF offers "proof" of not-stainless by using cold-blue on the bottom of the slide ... with a photo from 2010. Another alludes to a corporate response from CZ, but won't post it. There is additional speculation that this batch of pistols was part of a contract over-run. Not sure if that implies they were completed by a third party, or handled at CZ internally. Test run? Nickel plating?

This isn't passing the sniff-test. Definitely need more information before passing judgement.

It's possible that these pistols are counterfeit grey-market goods, and CZ doesn't want to admit that their distribution chain may be compromised.

Found photos of the P-01 in high-polish in another thread, and they appear to include the electro-pencil artifacts. Didn't find a corporate statement on the matter.

Attachments

• CZ75BHighPolishStainless_02_close-up.jpg
      CZ75BHighPolishStainless_02_close-up.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 719

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Looked at the photo of the 75B in high-polish stainless on the CZ website, and it looks nothing like the photos posted here and on The Original CZ Forum.

One post on OCZF offers "proof" of not-stainless by using cold-blue on the bottom of the slide ... with a photo from 2010. Another alludes to a corporate response from CZ, but won't post it. There is additional speculation that this batch of pistols was part of a contract over-run. Not sure if that implies they were completed by a third party, or handled at CZ internally. Test run? Nickel plating?

This isn't passing the sniff-test. Definitely need more information before passing judgement.

It's possible that these pistols are counterfeit grey-market goods, and CZ doesn't want to admit that their distribution chain may be compromised.

Found photos of the P-01 in high-polish in another thread, and they appear to include the electro-pencil artifacts. Didn't find a corporate statement on the matter.

Yeah, I also read that thread and am thinking the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom