• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So I'll admit, knowing that there is likely a 99.442% probability this issue has been discussed somewhere on this forum, I did not preform a solid level of research or due diligence before giving up. But I did search a little, for like 5 minutes, and therefore ask that you humor me as newb who just didn't know any better. Thanks!

The question: I can't imagine that Maryland's AR HBAR requirements are justified by anything even close to being valid or logical. So I'm not sure why I'm asking, but I just gotta know. Is it because they feel the rifles will be safer if heavier (using gun control logic here!), longer, or thicker? Did I miss the point? Have they ever provided a justification, just for funsies?

Thanks!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    An HBAR is a target rifle.
    Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
    Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
    Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    An HBAR is a target rifle.
    Target shooting is a sport.

Target rifles and assault rifles are two different things, one is good and one is bad.
    Bad guns have a mind of their own and must be banned by important people in Annapolis who wear suits and eat lunch with other important people who wear suits.
    Those people are smarter than you because all your neighbors voted them into office with great confidence in their decision making powers.

Ask me why an 11 round magazine is more dangerous than a 10 round magazine.
    OK why is 11 rounds more dangerous then 10

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I though the requirement was so you couldn't attach the M203 Grenade Launcher. Or so I was told. Libtards don't make sense 'cause they're Libtards.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The ban is based on Dianne Feinstein's old Assault Weapons List from about 1988-1989.

That list was the basis for Clinton's AWB of 1994-2004. It was used by Maryland when so-called "Assault Weapons" were Regulated (Form 77r and 7 day wait), and used for the ban of 2013.

The List is used by other states, but I don't know if other states versions include the HBAR exemption.

The List was created by a pair of Dianne Feinstein's staffers, who said they went down to the newstand at lunch time and bought a copy of Gun Digest. They went through the catalog section in the back and listed every long gun that looked scary, or unsuited for wabbit hunting. Seriously.

Because the List was created in 1988, it is full of odd guns few have ever heard of, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster. (The latter was NOT an AR, but rather an odd combination of AK and AR features, never produced in large numbers. Years later, after the Bushmaster rifle failed, the company turned to making ARs.) Except for a few revisions (I think) in 1994, the List has never been updated, which is why it does not include rifles like the SCAR and Tavor.

Anyway, in 1988 ARs were not being made by dozens of companies. If you wanted an AR, you pretty much chose among the Colts: the rifle or the carbine. They also had a target version- the Colt HBAR Sporter. This was coming into favor with serious High Power competitors for bullseye competition.

When legislation is proposed, there is always dealing and hoss trading and compromising. The argument was made that AR15s were increasingly used by serious target shooters. Okay, how can we distinguish the Evil Assault Rifle that kills people from the harmless AR15 that only punches neat holes in paper far away? Why the paper puncher has a Heavy Barrel.

Further, with the AR15 being added to Maryland's Regulated list, it was pointed out that Junior Competitors between the ages of 18 and 20 would be unable to possess the increasingly favored target rifle of choice. Thus the HBAR exemption.

By the way, I'm always a little annoyed when I read well-meaning rants about how stupid the HBAR exemption is. What do the ranters expect, that the Slavering Gun Grabbers will suddenly see the light, and revoke all restrictions on gun ownership? Just repeal all the anti gun laws? I do not think they will.

Wow....just wow. I feel like everyone was just waiting for me to ask that question...great answers, all of them.

For the record and full disclosure: I myself wear a suit everyday to work. However I do so because I don't know how to dress and therefore it provides me with a uniform of sorts lime when I was in the army.

Also, I'm not a greedy politician. I work for the Air Force. And while I certainly do not have the privilege of pulling the trigger, I am very happy to say that I am a very very small cog in the massive machine that very effectively turns worthless Islamist extremist scum into smoldering piles of cat food. So don't hold the whole suit thing against me, I'm a blue collar kid through and through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom