• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    That's what i thought, thanks. Other poster sounded contrary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

From the 2 defense lawyers I have talked to yes they are contrary. I agree with them the law says:

O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.

If the permit does not authorize possession on private property that the owner has prohibited possession, then you are in violation of 18.2-308 and can be charged with a misdemeanor concealed weapon violation.

Now the reason that the lawyers I talked to said that they could not find anyone charged for simply walking into a prohibited property is that the government would have to prove that the person carrying the concealed weapon knew that the owner of the property prohibited concealed weapons. Sure there might be a small sign by the door, but it can be argued that is not sufficient notification. Now if you are caught concealed carrying on their property and they verbally inform you that concealed carry is not allowed and you immediately leave why would they charge you? If you were to return and continue to conceal carry once you had been notified then it would be a pretty easy prosecution. But in that situation a trespass violation is much easier to prosecute.

I think it's a case of what you might possibly be charged with and what you are most likely to be charged with.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    From the 2 defense lawyers I have talked to yes they are contrary. I agree with them the law says:

If the permit does not authorize possession on private property that the owner has prohibited possession, then you are in violation of 18.2-308 and can be charged with a misdemeanor concealed weapon violation.

Now the reason that the lawyers I talked to said that they could not find anyone charged for simply walking into a prohibited property is that the government would have to prove that the person carrying the concealed weapon knew that the owner of the property prohibited concealed weapons. Sure there might be a small sign by the door, but it can be argued that is not sufficient notification. Now if you are caught concealed carrying on their property and they verbally inform you that concealed carry is not allowed and you immediately leave why would they charge you? If you were to return and continue to conceal carry once you had been notified then it would be a pretty easy prosecution. But in that situation a trespass violation is much easier to prosecute.

I think it's a case of what you might possibly be charged with and what you are most likely to be charged with.

Agreed.

Keep in mind also that Trespassing doesnt require anything more than a posted sign that you should have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom