• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have put in for vacation for this week, and will be getting all my gear ready and doing some training over the winter. I'm stoked, can't wait.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm adding a 4th instructor to the mix. Fellow Paramedic and USMC vet, did 6 years as a survival camp alternative education program for disadvantaged youths in Utah. I'll add more bio later.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Okay don't change the dates I put in for vacation also in march also.:party29:

Sounds good, I have really big plans for this class. I don't know how excited you guys are but my mind won't let me stop refining my ideas I'm so stoked about this.

A lot of this is going to be a surprise (in a good way), what I mean is that there will be dynamic and challenging scenarios which will prompt to you apply the basic teachings which will hopefully ingrain the learned material in your memory.

Just an FYI on what I've been doing and will be doing in prep.

Worked on the pond to minimize runoff and hopefully keep the water clear enough to spear and bowfish (as long as we don't get too much rain). I've called the fishery to reserve fish so that we will have enough for the class.

I'm working on upgrading and adding some rabbit hutches and 2 additional breeding pairs so that we will have plenty (probably too many) rabbits.

We worked a bit on range facilities and are deciding on additional steel plates and range organization.

A new site is being prepared for primitive farming techniques.

We cut a few trees for bow staves and moved them to the greenhouse to cure. Hopefully they are dry by the class, but if not we had already cut a few earlier in the year which will definitely be good by then.

I'm thinking about building bunk beds for the cabin. This obviously isn't in-line with a "Primitive" experience, so some input would be appreciated. Would you feel shortchanged if a bunk was provided?

One thing you guys can do to help. If you or any of your friends hunt, see if you can get a couple of deer hides for the class. Most of the hides I currently have are already brained and just need stretched and smoked. We are going to need as many hides as possible and leftovers will go to those that want them anyway. I will save mine from this hunting season, but I don't kill more than 2-3 deer a year by choice. When you skin the hide, pull more than cut and try not to nick the actual skin. Put it all in a plastic grocery bag, then triple bag it and put it in the freezer. It'll keep just fine til the class.

More on the way I'm sure.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Guys....sorry to be the booger in the punch bowl, but this looks like a commercial venture being advertised and overlaps somewhat with services being offered by registered Industry Partners who have paid to advertise here.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Justin's assured me that this is not a commercial venture and that the costs involved to participants is to cover expenses only.

Carry on. :thumbsup:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    How many people are you going to take on in this class Justin?

I'm thinking 12 is probably the max. 12 is what I've had in my head for buying supplies and to be honest I don't want a huge group because then it becomes impersonal and I don't think folks will learn as much.

So far it looks like I have 7-9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom