• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtacqb

Sep 29, 2011
    I live near Columbia MD and am looking to get involved with an IPSC gun club and participating in competitive and non-competitive shooting. I am a retired Marine but haven't shot consistently in a while. Just purchased a new tool of the trade and anxious to get started.

I am asking for recommendations. I heard about a group in Thurmond but unable to find contact information.

I was going to do some IDPA shooting until I realized that my new pistol is not allowed (real bummer). Maybe I can use one of my other guns for that.

Thanks

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Welcome and Thank you for your service.

TCSC is a great venue....IDPA third Tuesday of the month @ 1400.

New shooters must take the range safety class before first shoot @ TCSC IDPA.

IPSC shooters will have info to follow on the specifics of IPSC.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have periodically used a non-idpa-legal pistol at some of the local idpa competitions. told the ROs in advance and there wasn't an issue. just wanted some real practice with a gun i use for home defense, magwell, barrel weight and all...

york and thurmont noted above uspsa/ipsa are excellent venues, thurmont also does idpa as noted above. york also has 3 gun events.

i think most if not all of the 'local' events are posted or discussed here in the Competitive Shooting forum, so good place to check back with from time to time.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    Most IDPA groups aren't hardcore about "legal" pistols at the club level so long as you aren't showing up with a tricked out compensated, weighted, red dot sighted gun. Hell the holster I used for the 4 or 5 matches wasn't legal. The one I have now is though

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    York IWLA (actually Dallastown, south of YorK) has one of the best and most active USPSA clubs within 100 miles of you. Next match is Sunday 10/9.

Read the blog to find out sign up times and other details: http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

The pistol committee website is: http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.com/

To find other nearby clubs, check the area website map: http://www.uspsa8.org/area-8-map

The York matches are excellent.

I have heard some bad things about Thurmont (such as the matches getting cancelled at the last minute). I don't know if they are true. But I thought you might want to know that or look into it more closely.

7A38

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    I have shot USPSA at York, Thurmont and Summit Point. All of them are a bit of a drive from Columbia but I have found it is worth it.

If you have a gun that you can shoot IDPA there are a number of options available as well within an hour.

If you were interested in something else you can always check out the calendar at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick and see what is available. They have bowling pins, steel and a number of other fun events.

Which pistol do you have that is not IDPA legal? There are some local clubs that will let you shoot with it just for fun.

Mike

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    What kind of gun is it that it isn't allowed?

i have a wilson tactical elite 1911. what makes it nonlegal for idpa is the magwell and they welded on a weight at the end of the barrel to dampen recoil (both 'stock' on that gun). super awesome defensive pistol, but guess they want to keep the playing ground level for everyone. unfortunately not legal either in uspsa single stack.

my one brother has H&K expert or elite or something like that and it has a magwell though not much of one but is not idpa legal.

just go to the idpa website and they spell it all out. good news is most mass-production factory guns are totally legal (glock, s&w, springfield, beretta, etc).

spr1

Aug 2, 2010
    Wrt Thurmont, the weekend of Hurricane Irene got canceled for some reason.......
    Like most clubs, most of the work is done by a few. The year before a match got canceled because the few were mostly all on vacation or traveling for work.
    Thurmont is an incredible facility for action shooting.
    If you sign up for a match, odds are you will not be disappointed.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    No problem with the magwell....
    The bushingless barrel would be illegal though for IDPA.

mtacqb

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the information.

The gun I have that is not IDPA legal is a Wilson combat CQB with light rail (rail does not extend to the end of the gun). If I am allowed to use it for IDPA club events, that would be awesome.

I don't know which I would like better, IDPA or IPSC but I want to try both.

As I continue to do research, I realize that I have the tools necessary to participate in 3 gun events as well. I am really looking forward to getting involved.

Thanks again...

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the information.

The gun I have that is not IDPA legal is a Wilson combat CQB with light rail (rail does not extend to the end of the gun). If I am allowed to use it for IDPA club events, that would be awesome.

I don't know which I would like better, IDPA or IPSC but I want to try both.

As I continue to do research, I realize that I have the tools necessary to participate in 3 gun events as well. I am really looking forward to getting involved.

Thanks again...

Why would your QCB not be allowed in IDPA? Lightrails are fine.

mtacqb

Sep 29, 2011
    Why would your QCB not be allowed in IDPA? Lightrails are fine.

I contacted Wilson Combat who posed the question to the IDPA HQ. The Wilson rep told me that IDPA told him that the CQB with light rails is not allowed. Wilson told me that the light rail was the prevailing issue and did not provide any additional details. It is the CQB Tactical LE.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I contacted Wilson Combat who posed the question to the IDPA HQ. The Wilson rep told me that IDPA told him that the CQB with light rails is not allowed. Wilson told me that the light rail was the prevailing issue and did not provide any additional details. It is the CQB Tactical LE.

That sounds strange since Bill Wilson makes the gun and also the rules for the game.
    If I were you I'd call IDPA HQ and sak Robert Ray for clarification on that.
    Unless I'm missing something about your gun it should be legal as per the rule book.

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    If it doesn't have a bushing barrel maybe that is the problem?

1. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL
    Divisions

Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing.

The light rail is not a problem... yet.

Mike

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    If we are talking about the CQB Tactical LE, I thought it only comes with the bushingless bull barrel as a selling point?

I certainly don't own one... just going off information from the web so YMMV etc.

Either way I certainly wouldnt be against a new shooter using it (until they start beating me) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom