Couple of Beretta 92SF questions: Plastic guide rod, and extra mags.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    okay, and I just hit Greg Cote up for a MecGar mag. That way I'll have at least one mag when I can finally pick up, whenever mine and Lou's schedules match up :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Anyone else on whether I should keep the plastic guide rod? How about the plastic trigger? I'd prefer steel I would think :shrug:

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Anyone else on whether I should keep the plastic guide rod? How about the plastic trigger? I'd prefer steel I would think :shrug:

Personally I don't use my M9 for anything other than a target gun so I'm just going to stick with the plastic parts until they fail. Asked similar stuff about the Glock back in the day...

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Personally I don't use my M9 for anything other than a target gun so I'm just going to stick with the plastic parts until they fail. Asked similar stuff about the Glock back in the day...

very good point concerning the glock. :thumbsup:

main reason i want to swap out for steel parts is so it's more military correct. then again, the latest contract guns may very well be plastic parts, anyone who's been in know for sure if the 2007-2011 guns have the plastic guide rod?

also thinking about an M12 holster and the mag pouches that go with it, but the holster alone is between $50 and $80!!! :tdown:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Supposedly the plastic "waffle" guiderod was intended to shed sand and grit that managed to get stuck under the slide for increased reliability, along with plastic coated Aluminum trigger parts, improved chrome lining, coated and modified mags, and a few other small changes. It is military correct, my 2005ish mil-marked M9 over-run pistol has the plastic parts, a couple earlier guns I have seen had steel, later model guns have plastic. So far after several thousand rounds, there have been 0 jams, worn parts, loss of accuracy, or any other issues, it is one of my most trouble-free pistols, and I trust it every bit as much as any GLOCK, M&P, Sig, or HK pistol I own.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    My 2¢ dealing with Mil M9's and my 92F.
    As stated the "plastic "waffle" guide rod was intended to shed sand and grit that managed to get stuck under the slide for increased reliability." I had to change out 197 M9 metal guide rods for the plastic. It was a MWO, the M9 was a deadline for deployment without it. Yes, the plastic fails, more if you hang crap off your weapon. But still less then the metal in the sand. Just check it. If it cracks, replace it.

Stay away from the Checkmate magazines! They fail bad! So bad that DOD had to drop them and order 1 million(to start) from Airtronic Services for Iraq. Airtronics = GOOD, Checkmate = BAD,BAD,BAD!

M12 holster, if your paying more then $25 ish. You are getting a$$ raped. M12's are now surplus. Need some :)

Check ARFCOM time to time. $125 can get you another complete upper 96,92 from time to time.

Happy shooting.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    As stated the "plastic "waffle" guide rod was intended to shed sand and grit that managed to get stuck under the slide for increased reliability." I had to change out 197 M9 metal guide rods for the plastic. It was a MWO, the M9 was a deadline for deployment without it. Yes, the plastic fails, more if you hang crap off your weapon. But still less then the metal in the sand. Just check it. If it cracks, replace it.

Stay away from the Checkmate magazines! They fail bad! So bad that DOD had to drop them and order 1 million(to start) from Airtronic Services for Iraq. Airtronics = GOOD, Checkmate = BAD,BAD,BAD!

M12 holster, if your paying more then $25 ish. You are getting a$$ raped. M12's are now surplus. Need some :)

Check ARFCOM time to time. $125 can get you another complete upper 96,92 from time to time.

Happy shooting.

Great post! Thank you.

Any idea where I can find one of these mil-surp holsters at? I'd pay $25 for one right now. What about the mag pouches too? Matching M12 and pouch would be perfect for my new gun!

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County

Happy shooting.

Great wisdom right there. Especially on the "if it breaks replace it" part. Stuff breaks, it's called wear and tear. The guide rods cost <$10 so order a couple if you're planning to run yours through the ringer. With proper inspection you will see damage long before failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom