Couple of Beretta 92SF questions: Plastic guide rod, and extra mags.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    What's with the plastic guide rod on the newer 92s? Better? Worse? The same? I'm just wondering if I should change mine out to a metal one, and if so, which one should I go with?

Also, the police trade-in 92SF I'm getting from Lou (waiting on our work schedule and shop hours to line up so I can pick up!) comes with only 1 x 15 round mag. I've been told by mbz300sdl and others to steer clear of aftermarket mags and go for factory Beretta mags, but that Mec-Gar mags might be okay too.

Any online venders for mags and guiderods I should know about?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

Can't testify to the guide rod, but it seems that the difference between the magazines are how they're coated. To be honest, unless if you're running it in the desert/mud/snow/sleet/hail all of the time, I'm fairly certain the cheaper blued mag will be more than adequate.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Arm chair commando are under the assumption that plastic guide rods are crap but I have to ask you who is a better judge of function, guys on the net or the several engineers put towards the purpose of designing the gun.

My opinion would be shoot the ever loving crap out of that gun. If the gun starts to malfunction or the rod breaks then swap it out. Until then why bother? If it makes you feel better buy a back up one to have on hand just in case but don't be too surprised to find you don't need to use it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hey guys, the one I picked for me has the plastic guide rod too. Been wondering if the plastic was better than the metal or vice versa. Thought perhaps it is a way for Beretta to cut costs and do the plastic. Then look at Glock guide rods, are they metal or plastic?...........HHhhhmmmmmm

If you have plastic, stick with it unless it gives you absolute reason to switch.

Wonder what Chad has to say about it?

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Mec-gar make most mags for U.S. made guns. The only difference is that they don't put logos on their aftermarket mags. My 92FS mags are 18 roung Mec-Gars and I have never hade any problem with them. I get all my mags from Greg Cote, LLC. His business is run out of Anne Arrundel Co. and you usually get your mag the next day via USPS. Here is his site. http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ I have delt with him for years and his prices are usually better than anyone else. Give him a try. He is easy to communicate with and very knowledgable about mags.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I like plastic guiderods. Metal ones can get scarred, gouged, dinged, ect.....When that happens it will accelerate the wear on the lower lockup area of the barrel, recoils spring, and frame. WHen a plastic one gets dinged, scratched, ect....it just wears the damage away and dosent effect the barrel, recoil spring, or frame.

I have no idea what the difference is in those mags though. I like Mecgar Mags for my Beretta M9

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I like plastic guiderods. Metal ones can get scarred, gouged, dinged, ect.....When that happens it will accelerate the wear on the lower lockup area of the barrel, recoils spring, and frame. WHen a plastic one gets dinged, scratched, ect....it just wears the damage away and dosent effect the barrel, recoil spring, or frame.

I have no idea what the difference is in those mags though. I like Mecgar Mags for my Beretta M9

Good report as I expected none the less from ya' bro.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Can't testify to the guide rod, but it seems that the difference between the magazines are how they're coated. To be honest, unless if you're running it in the desert/mud/snow/sleet/hail all of the time, I'm fairly certain the cheaper blued mag will be more than adequate.

very good point :thumbsup:

If you go to the Beretta site (www.berettausa.com) there is a sale on magazines. I think the prices ran from $26.99-29.99.

I ordered some for the 92FS I got from Lou.

The factory Beretta mags at MidwayUSA.com are only $19.99. Is there something different about the ones sold on the Beretta site?

Hey guys, the one I picked for me has the plastic guide rod too. Been wondering if the plastic was better than the metal or vice versa. Thought perhaps it is a way for Beretta to cut costs and do the plastic. Then look at Glock guide rods, are they metal or plastic?...........HHhhhmmmmmm

If you have plastic, stick with it unless it gives you absolute reason to switch.

Wonder what Chad has to say about it?

I think I will stick with plastic for now. After googling around a bit it seems 50/50 on these plastic ones, and most of the guys preferring steel prefer it for cosmetic reasons.

pick up a bunch of military surplus mags.:thumbsup:

ooo ooo ooo! where can I get em?

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    My brother worked at Beretta in Ack. Beretta is going to plastic guide rods on several models. Don't know if they're completely switching over everything yet, but the 92s and the 90-two both have them straight off the line. The only difference between the mags is the brown one has a "sand coating" and, I believe, a slightly deeper groove cut into it to help work better in the sandbox. Keep in mind, you can use the Beretta factory 17 round mags for the 90-two in the 92s as well. They give you an extra two rounds but don't stick out the bottom anymore than a 15 rounder does.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    very good point :thumbsup:

The factory Beretta mags at MidwayUSA.com are only $19.99. Is there something different about the ones sold on the Beretta site?

I think I will stick with plastic for now. After googling around a bit it seems 50/50 on these plastic ones, and most of the guys preferring steel prefer it for cosmetic reasons.

ooo ooo ooo! where can I get em?

got mine at the gun show but check here at the bottom of the page.:thumbsup:
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/beretta.html

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    pick up a bunch of military surplus mags.:thumbsup:

Make sure that the springs aren't FUBAR on those. One supplier used the wrong spec. steel and if you leave them loaded with 15 rounds for a while, they won't push the last 5 or 6 up. I thought I got a great deal on 'new in the mil-spec wrapper' stuff from an online retailer, and I did - until I had to replace the springs.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I got some USGI mags off gb and they are great. Good price too. As far as the plastic guide rod, Mine is metal so I can't really comment on it.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Make sure that the springs aren't FUBAR on those. One supplier used the wrong spec. steel and if you leave them loaded with 15 rounds for a while, they won't push the last 5 or 6 up. I thought I got a great deal on 'new in the mil-spec wrapper' stuff from an online retailer, and I did - until I had to replace the springs.

A lot of Mil-Spec mags are parkerized, which is actually a huge problem because the parkerization on the inside causes the follower to bind and stall. We have quite a few in our armory with this problem and cause repeated jamming. Switching to standard blued mags the pistols work just fine. Any of the guys carrying M9's also switched to standard mags they purchased out of their own pocket, the issue ones are stuffed into the bottom of a "I'll never use this shit" duffel bag.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    A lot of Mil-Spec mags are parkerized, which is actually a huge problem because the parkerization on the inside causes the follower to bind and stall. We have quite a few in our armory with this problem and cause repeated jamming. Switching to standard blued mags the pistols work just fine. Any of the guys carrying M9's also switched to standard mags they purchased out of their own pocket, the issue ones are stuffed into the bottom of a "I'll never use this shit" duffel bag.

i'll take as many mags as you want to throw away!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom