• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    nice! congrats! im going on a land hunt this may for my move in 2012...i'll have to stop by out that way since i have friends in abilene....with your permission of course

Im looking in east texas...but will be going out to west texas in may for a few days...

A good friend of mine has a ranch in Brownsboro, TX. I love that place. West Texas is cool too. I would have bought land in Texas to begin with but it's too far away from my family. Since the place in WV is all sewn up and I don't owe anything I really started thinking about Texas again. I got in touch with a realtor I had talked to before and found some property I really liked. The economy has slaughtered that market and they were willing to bend over backwards to get me to buy something. These folks are reputable, I did my research, they are accredited with the BBB, etc. Anyway, I talked myself into it and well now I have land in WV and TX. I'll buy something in TN next and I'll have the trifecta of my 3 favorite states.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    tss1004 said:
    A good friend of mine has a ranch in Brownsboro, TX. I love that place. West Texas is cool too. I would have bought land in Texas to begin with but it's too far away from my family. Since the place in WV is all sewn up and I don't owe anything I really started thinking about Texas again. I got in touch with a realtor I had talked to before and found some property I really liked. The economy has slaughtered that market and they were willing to bend over backwards to get me to buy something. These folks are reputable, I did my research, they are accredited with the BBB, etc. Anyway, I talked myself into it and well now I have land in WV and TX. I'll buy something in TN next and I'll have the trifecta of my 3 favorite states.

Wanna adopt me? Lol

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You will need a license.
    A general non-resident hunting license in $315.00.
    I've bought so many I've thought about becoming a resident down there for a little while just to buy the lifetime license for $1000.

Do yourself a favor and don't kill a javelina.
    Anything that smells that bad from 80 yards away needs to be left alone.
    Go shoot a pig instead.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    TSS,

Good lord that looks peaceful, congratulations man I am really jealous.

Question: What about wild pig/boar?

Go shoot a pig instead.

I was just watching a show last night on discovery on how they are an invasive species that is overrunning the south part of the country from Arizona to most of rural (or not so rural) Florida. We watched these guys hunt em with dogs and then hogtie em, and I told my wife, "now theres a situation in desperate need of a rifle"
    Right then and there I googled Boar Hunt and came up with a ton of operations out of Texas.
    It would mean I have to buy a .308 (oh darn) but it sounded to me like a lot of fun.

Bart

octave410

Feb 12, 2011
    Ft Meade
    Congrats on the land, I lived in Texas for four years and loved it! I wanted to buy some land out there as soon as I got there, we just never had the funds to do it. What realtor did you use, if you don't mind me asking? The wife and I wanted to start investing in some land, and we are Texas residents.

It would mean I have to buy a .308 (oh darn) but it sounded to me like a lot of fun.

A lot of people use Marlin 336's in 30-30 and the such for hunting Javelina, great brush gun. Plus, what would be more fitting than a lever action in Texas? ;)

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    If you're passin' out the GPS coordinates, I may be through that area soon...

Congrats on the land, I lived in Texas for four years and loved it! I wanted to buy some land out there as soon as I got there, we just never had the funds to do it. What realtor did you use, if you don't mind me asking? The wife and I wanted to start investing in some land, and we are Texas residents.

A lot of people use Marlin 336's in 30-30 and the such for hunting Javelina, great brush gun. Plus, what would be more fitting than a lever action in Texas? ;)

http://www.classiccountryland.com/

There are several ranches in Texas with land for sale and their owner financing is fair. I don't think this stuff lasts long.

nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    From my knowledge them Javelinas are mean animals and will attack if they know one of there buddies is injured. So you need a repeating rifle to keep the rest at bay.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    When we going? (I'm in for pigs...)

I would imagine most would need some time to prepare financially, but I'm willing to let almost anyone from the boards go down and hunt.

If you are serious about wanting a place to go in TX there is an open invitation. I do have some simple rules though.

Leave it like you found it.

Obey the game laws.

Respect the nearby landowners and their property.

It's real flat in some areas, knowing your backstop is extremely important.

I'll have to have some kind of waiver I guess and you'll need a written letter of permission to use the property.

I don't really think anyone here would violate the rules, but I just have to put that out there. If people can't follow them then my generosity will end.

If someone wants to put a texas trip together and we all go down to hunt I'm in. I know very little about it and will have to do some research.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    From my knowledge them Javelinas are mean animals and will attack if they know one of there buddies is injured. So you need a repeating rifle to keep the rest at bay.

I've seen and heard of pigs being protective like this but not so much with Javelina. They tend to ignore people and run like hell at a gunshot. They will attack a dog but people don't have much to worry about.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    where is it in texas I know you said west but in texas that can be a day drive lol...

Look up "Big Bend Ranch State Park", and it's in the hollow area of privately owned land in the middle of the park.

It takes me 24 hours to drive to Dallas and I would imagine this is about 5 hours by car farther.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom