Japanese Arisaka in local shop... should I bite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    hole punch, after all this discussion, we expect you to figure out a way to pick up that $95 Arisaka. No way you can loose. Heck, if nothing else you could part it out on GB and still come out ahead.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    You Da Man!! :thumbsup: We wanna see those pics! :D

might have to take them all over again. my camera's memory card is like swiss cheese all of a sudden :| some pics are fine, others are unreadable. i lost some good ones it seems, too :(

edit: anyone have any experience with corrupted flash cards?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    might have to take them all over again. my camera's memory card is like swiss cheese all of a sudden :| some pics are fine, others are unreadable. i lost some good ones it seems, too :(

edit: anyone have any experience with corrupted flash cards?

Hey, hole punch...You got that camera of yours workin' yet?

I'm hopin' to see the difference between a $95 Arisaka and one I'm kinda scheming on...:innocent0

;)

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Alright here's the photos I took as soon as I got it home the other night. All I've done at this point is started to oil the buttplate which seemed to be the worst metal I could see.

The bore isn't a sewer pipe, and I swear I can see teh ring of chrome around the muzzle, so I'm guessing this is chrome-lined, but the anti-aircraft doodads are missing as well, so maybe this one is a mix and match rearsenal job. I'll begin oiling and stabilizing it this week.

I have LOTS of research to do before I can even begin to guess what I have here. I've just been so busy this weekend I haven't had time to sit down and get to know her.

Side note: Is there some trick to getting photos of your bore? I shined a bore light up from the chamber, went to full manual on the kit lens of my DSLR, and cranked the F-stop to the highest number because I assumed the widest depth of field would give the best results, but try as I might, even at ISO 1600 I couldn't get an exposure that was both in focus and fully exposed :p

Side side note: Please ignore the "NAMBO" note that was on there. I'm not sure if the seller even knew what it was they had. It was actually tagged "7.62x52mm?" :shrug:

Attachments

• IMG_6777_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6777_scaled.JPG
      62.3 KB · Views: 166
    • IMG_6780_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6780_scaled.JPG
      61 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_6781_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6781_scaled.JPG
      58.2 KB · Views: 158
    • IMG_6782_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6782_scaled.JPG
      60.7 KB · Views: 165
    • IMG_6783_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6783_scaled.JPG
      47.1 KB · Views: 163
    • IMG_6797_cropped_scaled.JPG
      IMG_6797_cropped_scaled.JPG
      9.7 KB · Views: 163

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yup, 23rd series Kokura. Manuf. July 43 thru Mar. 44. Looks correct for the series. Should have a knurled safety knob. This series does have a chrome lined bore so give her a good scrubbing and see what pops out from under the grunge.
    The only real downers are that the cleaning rod's missing, someone grafted an extension onto the buttstock and then bent the bolt handle (that can be fixed, I know someone over at Gunboards who does this if you're interested). If the bent bolt doesn't match then I'd look into finding an proper replacement rather than going to the trouble of straightening a non-matching bolt. They're not hard to find and sell for around $50.
    Looking at the stock graft I'm not sure if it can be easily removed and the original buttstock re-integrated. Maybe.

Last edited:

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Thanks for the info, Mawkie!

I saw the puzzle pieces in the stock, but figured it was something done late-war to make do with wood shortages. So do you think this was a bubba'd stock, or was this just something an American did? The wood seems to match nicely, but I'll have to look again.

Too bad about the bolt being modified. I'm not sure even where to find the serial on the bolt. Just looking it over briefly I only saw the serial on the left side of the receiver.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    For $95 that isn't bad at all. I agree the bolt handle has been modified and wood added to the butt, but the rest of the rifle looks unmolested. There should be a S/N on the underside of the bolt handle and on the extractor. Likely not if that's a replacement handle welded onto the bolt body.

From the pics it's hard to tell how the extra wood was added to the butt. Perhaps it's removable?

If you don't care if a replacement cleaning rod is a repro, IMA has them pretty cheap:
    http://www.ima-usa.com/japanese-arisaka-rifle-cleaning-rod-long.html

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Most likely whomever bent the bolt also added the stock graft. I'm not surprised as the std stock length is on the short side for most Americans (not unlike what you find on AKs and SKS stocks). So somebody wanted a more comfortable stock length. Musta been somebody real big 'cause that's one serious stock pull. Wish they had gone the easy route with a slip-on recoil pad (I've been known to use MAS grenade launcher pads now and again, they work great!).
    BTW, agree w. everyone that you did fine for $95!

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Not bad for $95. I got one similar to yours not long ago for double the price(stock is in better shape).
    Found a box of ammo, 20 rds for $45.
    Still have not shot it and probably won't anytime soon.
    A nice conversation piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom