M16 BFA (blank firing adapter) on 16" AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I have a couple questions about BFAs on AR15s.

I was wondering if it would be safe to run an M16 blank firing adapter on a 16 inch AR15. There is a special yellow one for shorter barrels, but the one I have is red. Can someone edjumacate me on the difference, why there are two separate kinds, and if there are any dangers to using the wrong kind?

I was also wondering what the proper way to attach the BFA is. Once the plus is screwed all the way out and the device slipped down over the flash hider, am I supposed to crank the screw all the way in until it's touching the crown of the muzzle, or are you supposed to leave a gap there? Also, is it possible to damage the crown if I'm not careful?

Anything else I should know about while using my M16 BFA? I was never .mil and have zero experience with these things. Thanks!

-hole punch

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    You can run the red BFA on a 16" barrel. What you're doing with the BFA is sealing off the barrel so that the gases will cycle the carrier instead of being expelled out the muzzle.

So with that in mind, you have to turn the screw all the way in until it's touching the crown to seal off the barrel. No gap. I wouldn't worry about damaging the crown as long as you hand tighten the screw and not use any tools.

Rifle will get pretty dirty.
    Check the BFA for tightness if you run into cycling problems.
    Biggest safety concern would be gas/particle/foreign objects being shot from the muzzle, but won't be a problem if you use the BFA properly installed and don't experiment with objects (cleaning rods) in the barrel.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Most of BFAs i've seen have a small hole in the part that seals the barrel to expel a calculated amount of gas/pressure out the muzzle and through the BFA. This keeps you properly cycling. Hand screw down with no gap. I believe .mil still says don't fire at anyone at close range during force on force

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Yeah, the blank firing adapters we had in the Army barely allowed the weapon to cycle even if you cranked them all the way down, so there's certainly nothing dangerous about them. (Unless you forget and use a live round instead of a blank) Expect a lot of misfires from the bolt not going back far enough to grab the next round from the magazine.

Oh, and blanks are very filthy, since all the powder residue that normally goes out the front of the barrel either stays in the barrel or goes in the gas tube.

I loved the rule about not firing at close range. We had MILES lasers mounted on our rifles and the sound of the blank activated the laser on the MILES. A microphone on the MILES picked up the noise and fired an invisible laser, and we wore harnesses that detected the laser and made noise if we were "wounded" or "killed". Anyway, there was no way I wasn't going to shoot someone at close range, and I never saw that rule enforced. It was a CYA rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom