• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    All you guys counting on freeze dried foods like Mountain House, one question for y'all. Are you going to have enough potable water? Having water to rehydrate food rations can almost double or triple your water storage requirements.

Of course, you could always have some of this cans in your survival pantry.....

images (10).jpeg

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    All you guys counting on freeze dried foods like Mountain House, one question for y'all. Are you going to have enough potable water? Having water to rehydrate food rations can almost double or triple your water storage requirements.

Of course, you could always have some of this cans in your survival pantry.....

View attachment 326435

LOL

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    We have about 6 months of survival food, a mix of Wise and Mountain Horse. Over the last few months, we have been buying bulk foods ( rice, flour, sugar, dried beans, etc) and storing them in air tight food grade 5 gallon buckets. We also have 20 chickens for eggs and started gardening and canning this year. We have about a year of chicken feed stocked, and can let them free range as we have multiple fenced acres. We also have the ability to hunt and fish here so long as the land provides. We have multiple streams, rivers and ponds around us and one stream that runs through the property. We also collect rain water to help with water needs

Moving into the middle of no where changed our bug out philosophy. When we were in Richmond, we had to balance what we had with what we could bug out with. Here in the country, we have moved towards bug out in place and have been stocking towards that. So we are stocking deep on staples and even heavier that i had been on ammo. The wife and i are getting older, so we're good with making this the hill we die on if it comes to that.

We are also surrounded by many that think the same way. It is a very close knit community that watches out for each other. I know that can change when time gets tight, but my gut says that this community will stick together. I hope i am right

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    We have about 6 months of survival food, a mix of Wise and Mountain Horse. Over the last few months, we have been buying bulk foods ( rice, flour, sugar, dried beans, etc) and storing them in air tight food grade 5 gallon buckets. We also have 20 chickens for eggs and started gardening and canning this year. We have about a year of chicken feed stocked, and can let them free range as we have multiple fenced acres. We also have the ability to hunt and fish here so long as the land provides. We have multiple streams, rivers and ponds around us and one stream that runs through the property. We also collect rain water to help with water needs

Moving into the middle of no where changed our bug out philosophy. When we were in Richmond, we had to balance what we had with what we could bug out with. Here in the country, we have moved towards bug out in place and have been stocking towards that. So we are stocking deep on staples and even heavier that i had been on ammo. The wife and i are getting older, so we're good with making this the hill we die on if it comes to that.

We are also surrounded by many that think the same way. It is a very close knit community that watches out for each other. I know that can change when time gets tight, but my gut says that this community will stick together. I hope i am right

You are definitely in better situation than city slickers. But in a total war you won't be. It would be like the Union Army burning down Shenandoah valley on the way to the sea.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    You are definitely in better situation then city slickers. But in a total war you won't be. It would be like the Union Army burning down Shenandoah valley on the way to the sea.

Agreed on that point , why i mentioned that the wife and i were fine with making this the "last stand" homestead. I'm getting too old to run away

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My wife was born and raised in Hawaii, where they eat a lot of SPAM. So I actually have several cases in my pantry. She prefers the lower sodium variety from Costco.

Now if we could find someplace to buy decent linguica....

Have you tried the Portuguese Sausage flavored SPAM.

Not quite as good as Hawaiian Portuguese Sausage, but not a bad substitute.

Any time I am in Hawaii to visit relatives, I bring back a bunch of Portuguese Sausage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You need boiling water to reconstitute the freeze dried food.

Boiling kills living organisms.

So you just boil a bit more for a bit longer.

Other option, and a important part of any such plan is a way to filter/purify water. It can be a simple as a bunch of coffee filters and a gallon of bleach.

As for where to get water at all: Rain, Streams, Ponds, Lakes, Rivers.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    You need boiling water to reconstitute the freeze dried food.

Boiling kills living organisms.

So you just boil a bit more for a bit longer.

Other option, and a important part of any such plan is a way to filter/purify water. It can be a simple as a bunch of coffee filters and a gallon of bleach.

As for where to get water at all: Rain, Streams, Ponds, Lakes, Rivers.

You think like a Zoomie and not a Grunt. SERE does not compensate for your POG mentality. :D

Boiling does kill Bio organisms but doesn't kill Chemical or Radiological contaminants in ground water sources and some aquafiers.

And heat for boiling may not be available in a cold bivouac. You may just have to reconstitute your meal with cold water. When you can heat water, the fist priority is COFFEE always COFFEE. And when you can use turbine exhaust to heat your water, your hot water can get a JP4/JP8 after-taste.

As for using bleach or iodine, you can't carry enough Coffee, Tang or Kool-aid to improve the taste just for drinking. Even if you boil and distill, your imagination will make you think you can still taste the bleach or iodine.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You think like a Zoomie and not a Grunt. SERE does not compensate for your POG mentality. :D

Boiling does kill Bio organisms but doesn't kill Chemical or Radiological contaminants in ground water sources and some aquafiers.

And heat for boiling may not be available in a cold bivouac. You may just have to reconstitute your meal with cold water. When you can heat water, the fist priority is COFFEE always COFFEE. And when you can use turbine exhaust to heat your water, your hot water can get a JP4/JP8 after-taste.

As for using bleach or iodine, you can't carry enough Coffee, Tang or Kool-aid to improve the taste just for drinking. Even if you boil and distill, your imagination will make you think you can still taste the bleach or iodine.

Actually boiling does remove a lot of chemicals. Either through distillation or by breaking them down with the heat.

Most radiological is particulate, so a filter takes them out.

Bleach also reacts with many chemicals.

So filter, bleach and boil. Boiling after bleach drives off the chlorine, so that taste is better. But actually, if you put in enough bleach to taste that bad, you put in too much. This is not a swimming pool with people peeing in it all day.

If you are in a SHTF fan situation where the water is seriously chemically or radiologically contaminated you are already dead or dying. :)

Yes, you need to have some stored water. But you aren't going to store enough water for a family of 4 for a year. You need to have a source.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    also have more palatable and generally healthier staples like rice, beans, soups, lentils, frozen or dried meats, nuts, etc...Good quality food with longer term storage doesn't have to be that expensive if you are willing to do the work in properly sourcing and packaging. Those buckets provide convenience of course...
    This ^^^
    I don't buy prepackaged survival food. It's expensive, low quality (compared to bulk and fresh foods, properly prepared and seasoned) and doesn't taste as good. I also buy bulk seasonings in large containers. On top of that it might be a good idea to have some garden seeds on hand to grow your own fresh vegetables.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    Aged C-Rations

In 1981 we deployed to provide Air Control & Landing facilities. Shortly after leaving garrison the vehicle with supply of C-Rats broke down. On arrival at deployed location, a vehicle loaded with rations was waiting. When we opened the crusty, dust covered outer box, the contents were C-Rations (undated anywhere). We immediately knew they were older, not from just the white chocolate (bloomed and lack of cocoa butter), but the green packaged Lucky Strikes cigarettes. For the younger folks, Lucky Strikes cigarettes have been in white with Red circle packaging since 1940s. Quote from all knowing internet:
    "The brand's signature dark-green pack was changed to white in 1942. In a famous advertising campaign that used the slogan "Lucky Strike Green has gone to war", the company claimed the change was made because the copper used in the green color was needed for World War II."
    These were the oldest rations I was aware of in my 20 plus Air Force career in mobile outfits.
    Oh, they were supplied from forward stored War Readiness supplies. All but a rusty can or two were eatible, but chocolate, now white in color, was brittle and tasteless. A little trivia about aged survival food.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Freeze dried food stuffs are great because of shelf-life, but I am also of the opinion that with a little bit of planning you can store many months of weekly staples with basic pantry/freezer rotation.

Exactly. I keep both types on hand. I have some freeze dried Mountain House stuff, but mostly just for the variety. It's far too expensive and bulky to rely on for your whole prep.

Most of what I keep are regular staples that we rotate and use (FIFO) in our everyday meals: rice, beans, flour, preserved fruits and veggies from the garden, etc. Powdered milk also lasts a long time, takes up little room, and is handy to keep on hand.

Jun 4, 2015
    I don't get "Survival" food. You have to stock Amazon size warehouse if you want to survive that long.

When it comes to Armageddon, surviving isn't about stocking anything. It is about getting into a group that knows where/how to get ammo (NG armories) and food (business warehouses).

We easily have a year's worth for the family in cans, dry, and frozen, and we raise chickens, ducks, quail, and rabbits. The prepared stuff doesn't take "an Amazon warehouse."

The important thing is to rotate through and keep stuff within shelf life, and buy things you're actually going to eat.

If things completely go to hell, there isn't going to be anything in the warehouses. For one thing, with kanban and JIT there really aren't any warehouses. Even if they haven't run out by the time it's an issue, they'll be looted in minutes.

National Guard armories are: Locked up tight, and don't have ammo. They may have a box or two for sidearms, but they usually draw ammo at the range. They don't keep stocks on hand. (I was an armorer in the Guard for years.)

If your strategy is, "Knock over an armory and steal from a warehouse," you're going to have a very short life expectancy.

You need a group who already have ammo, save it for defense and not ill-thought out campaigns, have food on hand and know how to produce it.

You might join us at survivalblog.com for effective strategies on the above and other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom