What Type of AR Upper Receiver Fixture for a Vice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was reading this article (NRA) about AR barrel installation:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0819

The guy is using a block that attaches to the receiver pins. Someone made a comment on the article; words to the effect that such a fixture holder would stress those upper pin holes. Considering some barrels are over torqued, I think the commentor has a good point if you are removing an existing barrel to install a new hand guard.

The other two type of fixtures I am aware of are a reaction rod and a clam shell type. What do you guys recommend?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I was reading this article (NRA) about AR barrel installation:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0819

The guy is using a block that attaches to the receiver pins. Someone made a comment on the article; words to the effect that such a fixture holder would stress those upper pin holes. Considering some barrels are over torqued, I think the commentor has a good point if you are removing an existing barrel to install a new hand guard.

The other two type of fixtures I am aware of are a reaction rod and a clam shell type. What do you guys recommend?

The author writes a lot of books....:innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The best is the Midwest URR.

The one in the article is one of the worst you can use. It can shear off the pivot pins, egg them out, and I'm some cases twist the upper.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    The Geissele has a reaction rod that is designed to fit in a vise Little more expensive.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If I didn’t already have and use a Magpul BEV Block, I would go with the Midwest Industries URR.
    I like the BEV Block because I can use it on both the upper and lower.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The best is the Midwest URR.

The one in the article is one of the worst you can use. It can shear off the pivot pins, egg them out, and I'm some cases twist the upper.

I brokedown and got one and it is worth it. I like magpul and I am sure the bev block has its purpose but the mix of plastic and metal makes me nervous. Midwest URR is long enough you can pretty much put the upper at any angle needed and you vice does not need to be in the perfect position on your bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom