• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe they are on to something, but when they claim there has been almost no innovation in bullets since the civil war...do they mean the Spanish civil war? Because seriously, spitzer bullets. Boat tail bullets. Jacketed bullets. That’s just for starters.

******** statements are going to be met with disregard for the rest of their claims.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    They think metal jackets, secant & tangent ogives, and boat-tail bullets were used at Gettysburg.
    Advertising assumes people are stupid enough to believe whatever you tell them. They're big sellers in Blue States.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    To simplify this it's about drag and time of flight, not accuracy. A boattail bullet is designed to have less drag than a flat base and hence, not slow down at as great a rate. Launched at the same muzzle velocity the boattail will get to the target in less time.
    A boattail that doesn't slow down as quickly as a flatbase gets pulled down by gravity for a shorter period of time = less drop at the same distance.
    A boattail that doesn't slow down as quickly as a flatbase gets pushed by wind for a shorter period of time = less wind drift at the the same distance.

I'm sure someone can state it better, but that's as simple I can explain.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    To simplify this it's about drag and time of flight, not accuracy. A boattail bullet is designed to have less drag than a flat base and hence, not slow down at as great a rate. Launched at the same muzzle velocity the boattail will get to the target in less time.
    A boattail that doesn't slow down as quickly as a flatbase gets pulled down by gravity for a shorter period of time = less drop at the same distance.
    A boattail that doesn't slow down as quickly as a flatbase gets pushed by wind for a shorter period of time = less wind drift at the the same distance.

No, I think that is a pretty good explanation

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    To simplify this it's about drag and time of flight, not accuracy.
    True, most chambers will shoot a flat base bullet more precisely and when a barrel is on its last legs, it will start chucking BTs out of the group and flat base bullets will stay in a little longer. This is due to the increased length of the bearing surface.
    A boattail bullet is designed to have less drag than a flat base and hence, not slow down at as great a rate. Launched at the same muzzle velocity the boattail will get to the target in less time.

That's pretty much right on.
    A boat tail reduces the drag factor generated by base turbulence.
    Reduced drag means greater retained velocity.
    Greater velocity results in reduced time of flight.
    Reduced time of flight reduces the influences the effects of ALL environmental factors, including drop, deflection, Magnus, Coriolis, gyroscopic precession (spin drift) and the wind differential.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Attachments

• 265247FE-2047-4CE9-A798-D9CFFE1E8502.jpg
      265247FE-2047-4CE9-A798-D9CFFE1E8502.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 97

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Found in "Understanding Firearm Ballistics 6th Edition" by Robert A. Rinker chapter 16 Bullet Design & Performance on page 211:

Streamlining the rear of a bullet with a long taper to a point does not serve a useful purpose. At the muzzle, the hot gas tends to turn or upset the bullet and cause poor stability and accuracy. The Army tried this type with a sabot to hold in the gas and help with alignment in the bore. It was not successful."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom