• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I just recently got 2 Yugo Tokarevs from SOG. I was pretty happy with them, though one is a little nicer than the other and the more worn one has a pitted barrel. They seemed in good shape and even the pitted one should still shoot well. But I just noticed that on the more worn one if you let the slide return full force without riding it back the hammer will drop and not stay cocked.

Initial troubleshooting:
    Since I have 2 I can swap the parts back and forth. First thing I tried was the same thing with the other pistol and all seems fine, no hammer drop. Then I took the hammer group out of the malfunctioning pistol and put it in the good one, still no hammer drop. That made me think it was something with the trigger or something else on the malfunctioning gun, so I figured that the hammer group from the good pistol would probably also drop when put in the malfunctioning gun. But it doesn't. So both hammer groups seem fine in the good pistol, and the good pistols hammer group seems fine in the malfunctioning pistol. The bad hammer group only drops in the bad pistol.

This leaves me unsure of what the problem might be. I can return/exchange it with SOG for 30 days after receiving although I think I'm still on the hook for the original shipping and return shipping :(. Before I contact them I wanted to get some input and find out if anyone else has had this problem. I'm not sure if it is a common Tokarev thing, some initial googling didn't turn up much.

EDIT: I should add that on both guns I have taken the crappy safeties out. So all testing was without them.

The hammer also drops when you lock the slide back and release it with the slide release.

EDIT 2: The hammer does catch on the half cock notch when it drops. So it doesn't look like it would fire but it does look like the hammer would need to be manually cocked for every shot.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If the hammer has a half cock notch, and it looks like it does, I'm thinking it's toast.

HCN.jpg

PS: Not to thread jack, but.....This is an excellent example of why surplus semi-auto pistols should not be used as self defense/emergency/SHTF firearms.

.02 of course.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Could be a worn sear nose too. Or a combination of both sear and hammer.

Going forward, don't drop the slide on an empty chamber/magazine without holding the hammer back. Having a round in the magazine helps to slow the slide down just a bit when the slide strips off a round. Causing less shock to the hammer and sear.

Tok Sear.jpg

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    If the hammer has a half cock notch, and it looks like it does, I'm thinking it's toast.

View attachment 213908

PS: Not to thread jack, but.....This is an excellent example of why surplus semi-auto pistols should not be used as self defense/emergency/SHTF firearms.

.02 of course.

It does have a half cock notch. So why do you think it is toast? I'm thinking you're right but I'm trying to figure out why. I also didn't mention in the main post but it does catch on the half cock notch when it drops, so it isn't dropping all the way and doesn't appear that it would slam fire or anything, but it wouldn't run as you would have to re-cock the hammer for every shot.

So that points more towards the sear than the hammer as the hammer seems to be catching properly

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It does have a half cock notch. So why do you think it is toast? I'm thinking you're right but I'm trying to figure out why. I also didn't mention in the main post but it does catch on the half cock notch when it drops, so it isn't dropping all the way and doesn't appear that it would slam fire or anything, but it wouldn't run as you would have to re-cock the hammer for every shot.

So that points more towards the sear than the hammer as the hammer seems to be catching properly

Sounds more like your full cock notch is worn then. Again, could be sear too. Or combination of both.

At least your half cock notch is doing what it's supposed to do.

Does the hammer follow when you're chambering a round? Or does it stay engaged in the full cock notch position?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Sounds more like your full cock notch is worn then. Again, could be sear too. Or combination of both.

At least your half cock notch is doing what it's supposed to do.

Does the hammer follow when you're chambering a round? Or does it stay engaged on the full cock notch?

I haven't acquired any 7.62x25 yet and I don't have any handy places to shoot at my house so I don't know. The hammer does cock but closing with the full force of the slide releases it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I haven't acquired any 7.62x25 yet and I don't have any handy places to shoot at my house so I don't know. The hammer does cock but closing with the full force of the slide releases it.

I wouldn't tell SOG that if you're looking to do a return.

They may consider that abuse.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't tell SOG that if you're looking to do a return.

They may consider that abuse.

What would be abuse? just allowing the slide to close? I dont know why they would think that. Seems like a pretty standard thing to try.
    I don't mean banging on the slide or anything, just releasing it or depressing the slide release to close it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What would be abuse? just allowing the slide to close? I dont know why they would think that. Seems like a pretty standard thing to try.
    I don't mean banging on the slide or anything, just releasing it or depressing the slide release to close it.

I see your point. It shouldn't make a difference on a new pistol. But it's an old pistol. With possibly worn parts.

If they allow a trade, hold onto the slide when you depress the slide release and ride the slide home. Or simply hold the hammer back.

It will help in making your pistols last longer.

An git sum ammo fer dat thang.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    well numrich doesn't have any M57 parts and for their other tokarev parts just a hammer is 35 bucks plus shipping and I don't even know if they are compatible across variants. And I didn't see any sear parts. Probably better to just try to return or exchange it.

Here's another question for you guys who have done more C&R deals than me. Whats the best way to ship it back? According to their written policy buyer has to pay return shipping unless I can convince them to cover it. I'm not sure how they will want it handled but I had to return a C&r pistol once before and UPS required it to ship next day air to the tune of over 80 dollars. Fortunately the seller reimbursed me for that one. My understanding is you have to do ups or fedex as usps will only accept packages from 01 dealers. Are you required to tell them it is a pistol so they can charge exorbitant prices? I dont know if fedex is any cheaper than UPS or not.

Confirmed no handguns from atf https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I bought one a little bit ago cheap for 100 dollars that was like new w/box. NEEDS to be well lubed or slide tends gets hard stuck. May fix with break in, I dunno.

The 7.62x25 Tok is one mean SOB, does more damage to 6x6 post than a 9mm Luger BUT expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
      IMG_0616.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 505
    • IMG_0617.jpg
      IMG_0617.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 517
    • IMG_0618.jpg
      IMG_0618.jpg
      100.8 KB · Views: 531

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    So I called S.O.G. and they gave me a return number to put on the package but I am responsible for getting it back to them. They told me that they thought a C&R FFL was able to ship handguns via USPS but according to USPS regs a C&R holder can only use the mail if it is an antique handgun.
    https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

So obviously shipping ups next day for 80 or 100 dollars is not worth it. I guess at this point the cheapest thing is to find an FFL dealer that will mail it for me.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    After a little more talking to S.O.G and explaining that C&R can't use usps and to do ups it costs nearly $100 they decided that as a courtesy they would send me a pre-paid shipping label for ups.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    After a little more talking to S.O.G and explaining that C&R can't use usps and to do ups it costs nearly $100 they decided that as a courtesy they would send me a pre-paid shipping label for ups.

Nice! I've heard people complain about SOG, but they've always treated me well if I explain what I need and why.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Nice! I've heard people complain about SOG, but they've always treated me well if I explain what I need and why.

It is really nice of them and I just got the shipping label from them but unfortunately it is for UPS second day air and UPS won't ship handguns by anything less than next day air. So now I have to talk to them about that.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Ask them to send you a FedEx label. FedEx will ship a handgun 2nd day air.

I went through the same thing with returning a cracked frame star b to j&g

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I bought one a little bit ago cheap for 100 dollars that was like new w/box. NEEDS to be well lubed or slide tends gets hard stuck. May fix with break in, I dunno.

The 7.62x25 Tok is one mean SOB, does more damage to 6x6 post than a 9mm Luger BUT expensive.

Yours is a more recent production civilian gun, not a C&R surplus military gun (the safety on the slide is only on the new production ones), but as with old and new Yugo firearms, they are great and robust, good shooters, but the fit and finish isn't great. Lots of machine marks.

My first surplus Yugo Tokarev was like new, hardly used. The machine work was so rough, the slide would stay back just from friction.

Get out the permanent marker and find where things are rubbing badly and hit them with a stone, some fine grit sandpaper (use a flat backer like a piece of wood), etc. Or just shoot it a bunch, that would probably do it too.

I was impatient so I buffed up a couple problem areas (one was the actual hammer where it contacts the rearward slide) and it is fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom