• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Oh and I forgot to ask but what is a good reload for shooting out of a Garand? I remember reading that it is a lighter load due to the semi auto receiver gas system.

Theres recipes all over the net but the original stuff is called M2 ball. So just look around for a recipe that replicates it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Oh and I forgot to ask but what is a good reload for shooting out of a Garand? I remember reading that it is a lighter load due to the semi auto receiver gas system.

Mopar is right on. Alot of times you can find folks selling Ammo local for 50-60 cents a round. or you can buy from the CMP for .68 cents per round shipped.

Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    Good on the limits! It should be 3 per LIFETIME...

For every fifth, sixth, or seventh Garand some guy bought, maybe even in a short time, there are 3 guys out there that might not have one someday.

These are historic pieces, the likes of which will never come again; I couldn't sit and look at my gun cabinet if it held a half-dozen of them, knowing that eventually there will be some dude, who is maybe 8 years old now, who will have a hard time finding one because some folks just can't get "enough" of a finite resource like that.

It's like they guys who backed a truck up to CMP to load up ammo...c'mon, man. And I'm not even talking about the flippers.

I'll get the stink-eye for this, but bring it, folks. :sad20:

I'm an engineer, and I have an eye for a finely crafted piece designed without regard for "quick and dirty" and "cheap as we possibly can" manufacturing methods.

But I only have 1 Garand.

And that's enough. :)

Serial number 2,718,735; manufactured by the Springfield National Armory in March of 1944.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    You wont get the stink eye from me, You are entitled to your Opinion. Its not like the rifles are being destroyed , so Little johnny will still have a chance to get one in the future.Will he get one Cheap? prob not But Am i getting a SVT for 50.00 like they used to be back in the day?? NO..
    Far as a Limit of three, i would buy at least 4 cause i want all 4 Makers, Then if i wanted more im supposed to go buy off Gunbroker ? I would MUCH rather buy from a company like CMP that you cant trust to give you a nice rifle. Afterall, thats what its about right? getting the best rifle you can for your money? Seriously though, you know if it was a limit of three. Bill would order three, then have his buddy order 3, then his mom , then his cousin etc.
    Rifles are a investment as well as many other things. There is a reason I own Many of the same items. For one, i like That rifle enough to own different ones. They all have different Characteristics that make them Unique. There will be one day in the future where i get Old and tired and cash out or I will die first and the wife and kids can sell them to pay for Bills etc. again, they are a Investment as well as a fun toy/tool.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Good on the limits! It should be 3 per LIFETIME...

For every fifth, sixth, or seventh Garand some guy bought, maybe even in a short time, there are 3 guys out there that might not have one someday.

These are historic pieces, the likes of which will never come again; I couldn't sit and look at my gun cabinet if it held a half-dozen of them, knowing that eventually there will be some dude, who is maybe 8 years old now, who will have a hard time finding one because some folks just can't get "enough" of a finite resource like that.

It's like they guys who backed a truck up to CMP to load up ammo...c'mon, man. And I'm not even talking about the flippers.

I'll get the stink-eye for this, but bring it, folks. :sad20:

I'm an engineer, and I have an eye for a finely crafted piece designed without regard for "quick and dirty" and "cheap as we possibly can" manufacturing methods.

But I only have 1 Garand.

And that's enough. :)

Serial number 2,718,735; manufactured by the Springfield National Armory in March of 1944.

Haters going to hate. :rolleyes:
    Collectors buy all you can afford now while the getting is still good. :party29:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Here is the statutory mission of CMP from their website. A lifetime limit would seem to fit that mission just fine. But they also need to sell enough to continue funding all of their programs. I'd rather my grand kids generation be able to buy rifles from CMP then people having dozens, but that ain't happening at this point, and really isn't the purpose.

Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
    To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
    To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

It also gives the highest priority to the following below. I know the sales are used to fund youth shooting activities and I'm not involved in those decisions.

In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Serious question. With repro 1911's long being a thing, repro M1 Carbines now being a good quality thing and recovered 03 and 03A3 drill rifles being made all to a good standard, why isn't anyone making M1 Garand repros? Yes, yes, collectability blah, blah, blah but it would likely be a good avenue for those entering the sport that want a lower cost option without having having to invest about $200 in books and tools to determine the condition and value of a rifle.

Springfield Armory use to. Fulton Armory still does, for a price. [EDIT FA Garands use an original receiver]

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Just join one of the online ones like Garand collectors association or M1 collectors club ( I have joined both over the years). Both were inexpensive. That will fulfill the club requirement. The shooting/firearms activity requirement can be fulfilled in ways other then shooting at a club match.
    Thanks guys, we hopefully will have one ordered from cmp by halloween

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Heard yesterday folks talking about a 90day to 6 month wait at this point. They changed the website to say they are out of stock again. Most likely to catch up on the orders that came pouring in.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    They are taking orders for the more expensive CMP Special with Winchester Receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom