• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    FINALLY got an M1A. Came across this Loaded Springfield at the local shop for a great price "used" so I jumped on it. I am incredibly torn on how to set it up. I love the old school look, but want a regular scope. However for now I have it set up like the Randy Shughart M14 from Black Hawk Down. Im not worried about getting a correct Aimpoint 3000 or whatever for now since even the movie was incorrect there. I want a synthetic stock to paint to finish the rifle.

Some questions:

What are you guys using for surplus ammo?

What is the correct stock that would have been used as an alternative to wood? My research says fiberglass?

Will a GI M14 stock (wood or synthetic) fit a loaded M1A? I know barrels are different so I wasn't sure.

Anyone have any more info?

1e0e8ad011be6c842108df601cb88104.jpg

38a4555dbc237f0a47e238207c464955.jpg

7aa3f0a3d0c83da4af40fb5cc419e35b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    FINALLY got an M1A. Came across this Loaded Springfield at the local shop for a great price "used" so I jumped on it. I am incredibly torn on how to set it up. I love the old school look, but want a regular scope. However for now I have it set up like the Randy Shughart M14 from Black Hawk Down. Im not worried about getting a correct Aimpoint 3000 or whatever for now since even the movie was incorrect there. I want a synthetic stock to paint to finish the rifle.

Some questions:

What are you guys using for surplus ammo?

What is the correct stock that would have been used as an alternative to wood? My research says fiberglass?

Will a GI M14 stock (wood or synthetic) fit a loaded M1A? I know barrels are different so I wasn't sure.

Anyone have any more info?

1e0e8ad011be6c842108df601cb88104.jpg

38a4555dbc237f0a47e238207c464955.jpg

Very cool. Mikey Likey.

Makes me want to take mine out of the safe and stretch her legs out.

I don't have any answers to your questions but look forward to seeing what the cognoscenti produce.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Very cool. Mikey Likey.

Makes me want to take mine out of the safe and stretch her legs out.

I don't have any answers to your questions but look forward to seeing what the cognoscenti produce.

Thanks! Cant wait to toss on an M14 flash hider with bayonet lug.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks! Cant wait to toss on an M14 flash hider with bayonet lug too.

Oh HELL yeah, GOTTA do that. ;)

When you get a chance, step outside, face west, bend over and drop your drawers.

After installing a PROPER flash hider, step outside, face east, and do likewise. That will show the proper level of appreciation for the handiwork of both O'Malley AND Sen. Frankenfeinstein.:D

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Oh HELL yeah, GOTTA do that. ;)

When you get a chance, step outside, face west, bend over and drop your drawers.

After installing a PROPER flash hider, step outside, face east, and do likewise. That will show the proper level of appreciation for the handiwork of both O'Malley AND Sen. Frankenfeinstein.:D

Too many large moons in that idea. I don't wanna mess with the tides. ;)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    FINALLY got an M1A.

First off, congratulations. I'm green with envy.
    Now, pardon my naivete, but do you live outside Maryland? Other than the [Chinese-made] Poly Tech version, my understanding is that the M1A is banned in MD.

As far as modifications, I think it looks best as-is. And if you decide to resell, it'll nearly always be worth more in its OEM configuration. And it looks outstanding next to your Garand (which it handily outclasses).

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Now, pardon my naivete, but do you live outside Maryland? Other than the [Chinese-made] Poly Tech version, my understanding is that the M1A is banned in MD.

As far as modifications, I think it looks best as-is. And if you decide to resell, it'll nearly always be worth more in its OEM configuration. And it looks outstanding next to your Garand (which it handily outclasses).

Honestly I have no idea if it is banned in MD. I lost track of all of that stuff. No I don't live in MD anymore. I can't wait to shoot this and my Garand this week. I haven't fired the M1 in ages! Unforgivable I know. :(

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    I shoot plain ol' steel Wolf/Tula .308 outta mine. It goes bang, it hits what I'm aiming at, is much cheaper than brass .308/7.62.

I use a Sadlak Industries Airborne scope mount with a Vortex PST 1-4x optic. Love that set up but it does make an already heavy rifle, pretty damn heavy.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    USGI stocks will fit the loaded model just fine. It's the ones that are really worn that can be loose. People tend to bed those.

A proper flash suppressor and stock will really up the style points

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Honestly I have no idea if it is banned in MD. I lost track of all of that stuff. No I don't live in MD anymore. I can't wait to shoot this and my Garand this week. I haven't fired the M1 in ages! Unforgivable I know. :(

We're jealous you were able and got out of Marylandistan and into free 'merica. Many of us are still trying to find paths out that work for us.

That's a bootiful addition! :thumbsup: Think good thoughts of us when you get it to the range.

Oh, and of course, a range report is mandatory!

:bowdown:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My M1A has shot everything I've ever tried. Lately I've been shooting a lot of Perfecta .308 (there was a huge sale on it a couple of months ago)

The fiberglass stock is the alternate to wood. It is a better stock but does not look as classy. I'm planning on getting mine painted in Vietnam era jungle camouflage.

USGI stocks swap out with the M1A stock. There is just a gap where the happy switch was. You can fill that with wood or a couple of companies sell fake switches to fill the space.

One note on flash hiders. I don't remember the muzzle thread on the M1A/M14, but it is the only rifle in existance with that pitch. Make sure you get the right one.

Edit: threads are .595X32.

Feb 28, 2013

Nope. He flew the coop.

Here's my two brothers.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 684

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I can easily and reliably hit my buddies 16in steel plate at 340yards with iron sights using cheap ass wolf. Some Indian surplus I had sucked. All other commercial stuff ran fine.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I found Portuguese surplus at my shop for $14.95 a box. Brass case non corrosive. Snagged the last 3 boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom