• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Received an incredible Christmas gift this year, I'm still in shock! My grandmother had a collection of guns that had belonged to my great grandfather and she passed them out to some of my family members this xmas when we were all together. I received the Colt 1911 that my great grandfather carried when he fought in WWI.

I don't know a whole lot about his service as he passed long before I was born, but I do know that he was wounded in action in France when he dove into a artillery shell crater while under fire...unfortunately the shell had been loaded with mustard gas and he received extensive injuries from the exposure, which caused complications throughout his life. My grandmother still has a box with his Purple Heart, a German Iron Cross, and a .45 round that he scratched "FOR THE KAISER" on the side. Wish I could have met him as he sounds like he was an amazing guy.

I don't know much at all about 1911s as they have been way out of my price range but I think based on the serial number this one would date to late 1917 or early 1918? I plan to get the Colt "letter" for this one to help narrow down the date. I think it still has the correct barrel for this serial number range too....anyone able to confirm?

The last photo is of two other items we believe he brought back from the War that I was also fortunate enough to receive....top is a sawback bayonet and bottom is a unit marked German Naval cutlass.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
      IMG_1611.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 846
    • IMG_1612.jpg
      IMG_1612.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 846
    • IMG_1613.jpg
      IMG_1613.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 843
    • IMG_1614.jpg
      IMG_1614.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 850
    • IMG_1615.jpg
      IMG_1615.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 848
    • edged.jpg
      edged.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 848

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow. Amazing! Please be sure to hold on to those and pass them down. You were given a priceless gift.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    It's always great to see history stay with the family v. being sold or destroyed.

Post your findings. Would like to know more.

NRA & SAF Life Member

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Great karma. I am in.

Seriously, awesome gift. Clean her up (not too much though), oil her, check her out and take her to the range at least once. That is a beautiful 1911. Cherish it.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Awesome! So what were the guns the other family members got?

There were 6 total...most of the others had actually been found in the attic of a house my great grandparents lived in. All aside from the 1911 the others were black powder:

1795 Springfield musket w/ bayonet
    Remington New Model Army revolver
    1863 Enfield rifle musket
    The remaining ones were "Kentucky" rifles

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads