• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I think pistol issues have to be ruled out first. Could be a boogered feed ramp, extractor, or ejector. Maybe the extractor tension needs adjustment.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I'll certainly put some more rds through it and if the problem persists then I'll take it to a qualified smith to have it looked over. I initially thought I'd like a compact versus a full size but did not realize that they can be so temperamental. Once I get a chance to shoot the 226 them I suppose I'll have a better idea of wether its the gun or me. These are my first handguns so my experience is rather limited.

Thanks for all the replies. There's some good points/suggestions brought up that I'll look into.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Limp wristing is NOT a weak grip. It is having the wrist stiff enough to allow the action to work properly. If the wrist is not stiff enough, the gun recoils all together and the slide does not get the proper velocity to cleanly eject and chamber the next round.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I'm aware of the difference your pointing out and am actually talking about limp wristing. I say grip sometimes because its easier typing. My grip although deminished, is more than sufficient to pick up a gun and shoot it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Limp wristing is NOT a weak grip. It is having the wrist stiff enough to allow the action to work properly. If the wrist is not stiff enough, the gun recoils all together and the slide does not get the proper velocity to cleanly eject and chamber the next round.

This. When I first got my beretta after a couple hundred rounds at the range during a session I noticed ejection problems after I relaxed the wrist too much. if after firing most pistols if you see almost the full top the pistol you probably are limp wristing.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    So far I've used Rem UMC brass and American Eagle brass, happens with both.

If NO steel cased ammo has been shot through it, the above ammo you stated (especially Fed Am Eagle) should have no problems running that gun jus' fine. Read next quoted post and have an experienced 1911 shooter do it for you with the two types of mentioned ammo. If problem persists with that person, it's almost certainly a gun problem.

Have a friend shoot it for you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    here ya go..
    ...basically, you need enough recoil energy isolated in the slide for the gun to function. When the entire gun moves rearward, and especially re-vectors into a rotational force, that energy is bled off from the kinetic energy needed to cycle it. The mass of the frame gives resistance to rearward and upward travel just by it's inertia. The heavier the frame, the less sensitive it is to limp-wristing, all other factors being equal.

You've also bought a 1911 that's mutated from its original design so far, and then produced by a company that has a record of spotty QC, that it's likely to have malfunctions just from that. For a 1911, 4" is probably the smallest you want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom