• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Setting up my new SLR106 for optics and need to get a side rail mount (the rail itself is already installed). What are you guys using. Choices seem to be:

Kalinka low-profile
    UTG/Leapers
    Others?

Prefer low-profile and centered and this will be used to mount a Millett DMS-1 on 30mm Millett rings.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Is that low profile? I am a little worried by the time I stack MIllett "tactical" rings on there it will be a little high.

Also looking at the Yukon

I want to try to stick with Aluminum to keep the weight down

p3203533dt.jpg

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Is that low profile? I am a little worried by the time I stack MIllett "tactical" rings on there it will be a little high.

Also looking at the Yukon

I want to try to stick with Aluminum to keep the weight down

p3203533dt.jpg

It is low-profile. And I believe it's made of aluminum. It's pretty light.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    JimBob, Be very careful if you want to order the mount in the picture. If you run a search of reviews from people who have bought it from various sellers; you'll find that the mount is not as the pictures represent (it isn't open in the center, but rather solid metal). And several reviews stated that it did not lineup over center, but was offset. I found similar reviews on 4 different seller sites, so trying to get this particular mount could be a crap shoot. Kinda sucks. I was going to get it to replace the quick release mount I currently have (I like the looks of the Yukon better ;)).

I use this one, which seems to still be available.

http://www.tacticalaccessories.com/products/viewproduct.php?id_product=208

I also have this mount on one AK, and it is beautiful, VERY low to the gun; but it uses screws and isn't quick release. Which is a bit of a pain when cleaning.

http://www.tacticalaccessories.com/products/viewproduct.php?id_product=398

Last edited:

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    Setting up my new SLR106 for optics and need to get a side rail mount (the rail itself is already installed). What are you guys using. Choices seem to be:

Kalinka low-profile
    UTG/Leapers
    Others?

Prefer low-profile and centered and this will be used to mount a Millett DMS-1 on 30mm Millett rings.

Ive seen the iron sight removed and had a picatinny rail put up there for optics...why not do that?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Ive seen the iron sight removed and had a picatinny rail put up there for optics...why not do that?

Do you mean this?

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/AK-RSR1.html

I mounted this on my underfolder since it had no side rail. It retains a notch sight that works under whatever optic you mount, so you still have iron sights available. It sits pretty far forward though. I have a Burris Fastfire on atm. But you might have a problem using certain optics in that position.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Its the old saying "You get what you pay for.". To be honest, I've never owned any Leapers stuff. But from what I've read from reviews (I'm real big on reading reviews :)); its hit-or-miss quality-wise. I've seen many issues (fitment, durability, etc.) on things like forearms, stocks, and such. So I've always steered away. But I've also seen glowing reviews on some things (like the rail mounts). I suppose it just depends on the application. Some people call Leapers "Airsoft Junk", others say its fine for the average person. I mean most of us aren't seriously expecting to take this stuff into actual combat conditions. Because if we were, price wouldn't be much of a consideration, and we'd all spring for the best available. There's a reason you don't see our troops using ATN or Sightmark red dots in Iraq or Afghanistan. IMHO

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Depends.

A quick release will work fine on your run of the mill AK with minimal recoil.

Don't work so well on a RPK or Saiga-12. IF you want something solid go with a UTG MNT-973 or AKSMT08

MNT-973:
    41XnQMPLv1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

AKSMT08:
    41go9MdonsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends.

A quick release will work fine on your run of the mill AK with minimal recoil.

Don't work so well on a RPK or Saiga-12. IF you want something solid go with a UTG MNT-973 or AKSMT08

MNT-973:
    41XnQMPLv1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

AKSMT08:
    41go9MdonsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HEy guys, given this is 5.56 I think a quick release will be fine. The only reason I was avoiding Kalinka's is they are steel which would seem to add weight.

MG4DEUCE

The Otter
    Jun 28, 2010
    Annapolis
    http://texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16166&cat=381&bestseller=Y I have heard good things about these.

I have a serialized VEPR mount on my VEPR II 7.62x39 16". Its rock solid. Once you get it adjusted you tighten the screws and drill and pin the mount sections in place. Absolutly zero movement. I have seen a few on Gunbroker but they are few and far between. If anyone finds one, get it. You wont be sorry. Here is a link to the VEPR mounts http://www.robarm.com/vepr_mounts_and_optics.htm

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Per the feedback I went with the Kalinka Mount as I wanted one on the side rail and not forward or on the site base.

bp02w-1-600.jpg

Ultimately, I was a little worried about the weight but it did not seem that much more or less than other options.

Odered a Millett DMS-1 scope and 30mm tactical medium height rings, which should make a nice set-up (pics when I get everything).

One thing I need now is a good compact tactical light for the side-rail, what are you guys running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom