• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My buddy coyote hunts and they got bad around me just recently. I am thinking about tagging with him in my area and backing up with a 12 gauge and he is using a rifle. I have 00 Buck, 9 pellet rounds in 2 3/4" and 3" #5's for turkey. He thought some of the loads might not be legal. I could not find anything on shot size in the hunting and trapping guide book. I serious do not think 00 buck could be illegal and maybe #5 could be, or if legal just not enough oomph.

Any predator experts here to answer this?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping

Taking coyote, fisher, gray fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox and skunk with firearms is subject to these regulations:

A shotgun may not hold more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
    Rifles and handguns may be used. Full metal-jacketed, incendiary, or tracer bullets may not be used.
    Muzzleloading rifles, shotguns and handguns may be used. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder. Muzzleloaders are considered unloaded if the ignition system is disabled by removal of the cap, primer, battery or primer powder.
    It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in, on or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

Incendiary is illegal, so no dragons breath. Clearly MD is no fun.

But otherwise, there are no particular rules as far as i can tell, so full send.

keep in mind there is no such thing as "tagging" - you will also need the furbearer stamp on the license.

The question is are you hunting them for sport or are you hunting them to get rid of them? If you're hunting them to get rid of them you want to shoot them as soon as you can get a shot a shotgun's not the way to do that. They're going to have to get really close and they're typically very skittish. While I know it can be done if you're just trying to get rid of them personally I would use a rifle..

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The question is are you hunting them for sport or are you hunting them to get rid of them? If you're hunting them to get rid of them you want to shoot them as soon as you can get a shot a shotgun's not the way to do that. They're going to have to get really close and they're typically very skittish. While I know it can be done if you're just trying to get rid of them personally I would use a rifle..

My buddy will be using rifle and I will just be backup. We are just killing them and we have done it with foxes and have them skirt around behind down wind and run by at a gallop once they get a whiff. I can't drop them on the run with a rifle, but years of waterfowl and I don't normally miss much with a shotgun.

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    Coyote Spotted in Brooklyn Park Maryland this week

As we were driving through a BP neighborhood two days ago we spotted a adult Coyote in broad day light trotting up the street about 15 feet in front of us.

It looked back and did not really seem too bothered.

Broad daylight and out in the open, is this normal ?

-JW.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have never killed a coyote, so I am far from expert. I have shot plenty of 5 birdshot though, and have also killed deer with buckshot.

That said, 5 birdshot was great for pheasant, but is too light for yotes. If I was to be shotgun hunting, and was expecting one to close within 30 yards or so, I'd choose #4 buck. I'd prefer the pattern density of the smaller 4 buck to 00 on coyote size animals. Pattern your shotgun, and you can see what you can expect to have at what range.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’ve always read that T or #4 buck is preferred for yotes. No personal experience though.

In fact Hevi Shot makes a T coyote load.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I seriously suggest a semi auto small caliber. The ar platform in 223 (can is a bonus) loaded with lighter bullets is all but perfect. I am a boltgun snob and even I admit this.

If you can get em inside fifty yards and you have a good semi auto shotgun that you run well (being a waterfowl guy I'd bet you have a few) then test it with #4 and #1 buck (#2 is probably better but is all but a forgotten thing). See how tight you can go on the choke to keep the pattern dense. Federals flite control le loads tend to be very good for this type of tight pattern work but be warned that the hardened and plated shot will need a good, soft, backstop.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    #4 Buck as others have mentioned. I have an old Remington 1187 that I use, barrel cut down and choked perfectly that patterns great out to about 45 yards.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Sounds fun. I can tag along and bring thermal :)

Eugene Stoner's bang stick for the win. Heck, just about any full power round that will feed in one would be perfect (ok, maybe not .458 socom - although the "angry screwdrivers" from Lehigh Defense might do well for a few of them all lined up :lol: )

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The opinions from dedicated coyote hunters vary from BB to 4B , with long range patterns being a major factor .

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have a box of this. Never shot it but it is supposed to be the chit! At least Les Johnson says so.

Attachments

• 8ABB2561-8EE0-4B97-B14D-86A6772640C3.jpeg
      8ABB2561-8EE0-4B97-B14D-86A6772640C3.jpeg
      59.1 KB · Views: 171
    • 84C4B52B-5795-4564-BF53-3D65EB5EE302.jpeg
      84C4B52B-5795-4564-BF53-3D65EB5EE302.jpeg
      40.5 KB · Views: 165

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I would hunt with a varmint cartridge or long range smaller caliber. I also would give the hides to someone if you dont care. Why shoot all those BB's into it. My son traps them and then uses a 22 pistol to dispatch them in trap. Hell use at least an 17HMR. 22/250 22 swift 22 Hornet, 257 Roberts, 243, 270 , 223 .

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads