Does mag. size limits change your choice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    AliasNeo07, Hmm.....yes perhaps I should have phrase if there was a ban on possession of magazine larger ten rounds would change one's mind. Might have changed some answers.

I had to help my cousin out with this decision because he lives in CT. They can only possess 10 rd mags. He decided to keep a .45acp and a shotgun for home defense, but conceal carries a micro compact 9mm with 10 rounds.

If there was a small .45acp that could fit 10 rounds of .45acp, that’s what I would carry if there was the 10rd limit here. Currently, I have a 13+1 45acp in my nightstand, but carry a P365 with 12+1 of 9mm plus another 12 rounder.
    Ultimately, if given the same amount of rounds, I’d want a .45.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I had to help my cousin out with this decision because he lives in CT. They can only possess 10 rd mags. He decided to keep a .45acp and a shotgun for home defense, but conceal carries a micro compact 9mm with 10 rounds.

If there was a small .45acp that could fit 10 rounds of .45acp, that’s what I would carry if there was the 10rd limit here. Currently, I have a 13+1 45acp in my nightstand, but carry a P365 with 12+1 of 9mm plus another 12 rounder.

The Glock 36:is a single stack .45 ACP. Holds 8+1 but with a mag add-on gets 2 more. Got it specifically for CC

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    The Glock 36:is a single stack .45 ACP. Holds 8+1 but with a mag add-on gets 2 more. Got it specifically for CC

Thanks. He doesn’t like the ergonomics of Glocks. I’m good with my P365 and 25 rounds of Gold Dot 9mm, but will look at the Glock when they inevitably limit us to carrying 10 rounds. I thought the G36 was 6+1.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Unless hollow points are banned like in NJ, I just don't see the point of going out of your way to get a .45 if you can shoot 9 faster and tighter because of less recoil. If restricted to ball then yes a 230 grain 45 hardball probably better than 9.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Unless hollow points are banned like in NJ, I just don't see the point of going out of your way to get a .45 if you can shoot 9 faster and tighter because of less recoil.

I don’t find .45 recoil any harder than 9mm. In fact, it’s more pleasurable to me. It’s a push back, rather than a snap up with 9mm. I can shoot .45 just as accurately as 9mm, without much difference in time. Given the same brand of hollow points, the .45 still causes more damage than 9mm. That said, The gap isn’t as wide as it once was.

I’m a Speer Gold Dot guy and every test I’ve seen shows that the 230gr .45 expands more than their 9mm offerings. I don’t know how the +P+ 9mm performs relative to the .45, but the recoil with the +P+ Defeats the purpose. It also beats up your gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In my personal calculus , the number of rounds in the gun as an abstract is well down the hierarchy of priorities . ( Disclaimers - So long as at least 5 , preferably 6 , and I habitually carry reload(s) ) . The fit of the gun , and how well I shoot it are much higher priorities .

My tastes run heavily to revolvers and single stacks . When I do use higher capacity , it is usually because of other attributes of the gun , and not specifically because of the capacity . As a bonus , single column extra magazines are easier and more comfortable to conceal/ disguise than double column .

In the land of hypotheticals , IF I was one of the handful of people authorized to carry in NJ , the Ammunition restrictions would indeed be a major influence .

IF I'm to be limited to non- expanding projectiles , by diggity I want BIG non expanding bullets . FMJ in .45acp , SWC in .44Spl and .45Colt .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks for feedback guys. Yeah, Maryland has some weird loop holes where your legally able to own them, even go out of state and buy them and bring them back in. Think some politician purposely left that hole in that law as I can't imagine them being that stupid! I guess I could be wrong on them being stupid. Although the seem to be getting smarter and a lot bolder!

Unfortunately, I'm still learning of the gun shops in my area (Gaithersburg area) and not familiar with what gun shops are across the state lines.

It's not a loop hole to use magazines you possess when there's no law against it. Even if there was a law banning possession, Americans should not comply with that law. Rights only exist if you exercise them, whether legal to or not.

Are politicians that stupid? Yes and no. Generally the people promoting more 2a infringements have very little technical knowledge about guns. However, them not going after possession of mags was a political move to ensure the ban went through with less resistance. They're fine banning everything, but grandfathering in possession because they can then just wait and let them phase out, or come back later for possession in another bill.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    It's not a loop hole to use magazines you possess when there's no law against it. Even if there was a law banning possession, Americans should not comply with that law. Rights only exist if you exercise them, whether legal to or not.

Are politicians that stupid? Yes and no. Generally the people promoting more 2a infringements have very little technical knowledge about guns. However, them not going after possession of mags was a political move to ensure the ban went through with less resistance. They're fine banning everything, but grandfathering in possession because they can then just wait and let them phase out, or come back later for possession in another bill.

smokey0118, Good point and something I did not think of but yes, you're probably correct that the "loop hole" regarding magazines was purposely left there to allow the bill to pass more easily. I'm sure the politician figured they can always come back for them with a later bill.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I don’t find .45 recoil any harder than 9mm. In fact, it’s more pleasurable to me. It’s a push back, rather than a snap up with 9mm. I can shoot .45 just as accurately as 9mm, without much difference in time. Given the same brand of hollow points, the .45 still causes more damage than 9mm. That said, The gap isn’t as wide as it once was.

I’m a Speer Gold Dot guy and every test I’ve seen shows that the 230gr .45 expands more than their 9mm offerings. I don’t know how the +P+ 9mm performs relative to the .45, but the recoil with the +P+ Defeats the purpose. It also beats up your gun.

Mr Blue, yeah I was thinking along the lines of what would happen if Maryland adopt gun laws like Connecticut whereby only 10 round mag were allowed. I thought I heard about NJ not allowing hp ammo to used. Combining those two restriction would have me contemplating my choice.

I agree 45acp is more a push in recoil department compared to 9mm especially if you're going to those +p or +p+ in 9mm. But if not shooting the +p 9mm, I think the 9mm is bit faster on follow-up.

A problem I see with 45acp is it's more expensive to shot unless you get into reloading to help offset the cost and it has more recoil than 9mm in similar sized handguns.

I heard it's very difficult to obtain a carry conceal permit/license here in Maryland.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    In my personal calculus , the number of rounds in the gun as an abstract is well down the hierarchy of priorities . ( Disclaimers - So long as at least 5 , preferably 6 , and I habitually carry reload(s) ) . The fit of the gun , and how well I shoot it are much higher priorities .

My tastes run heavily to revolvers and single stacks . When I do use higher capacity , it is usually because of other attributes of the gun , and not specifically because of the capacity . As a bonus , single column extra magazines are easier and more comfortable to conceal/ disguise than double column .

In the land of hypotheticals , IF I was one of the handful of people authorized to carry in NJ , the Ammunition restrictions would indeed be a major influence .

IF I'm to be limited to non- expanding projectiles , by diggity I want BIG non expanding bullets . FMJ in .45acp , SWC in .44Spl and .45Colt .

My taste also run towards revolvers and single stacks. Perhaps GP100 in 44spec and 1911 45acp, lol!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Instead of worrying about how rounds are in your revolver or pistol maybe you should worry about how many "hits" are in you?

If you're a Professional Bolo that's always satisfied with scores of 60-70% then yes, high capacity mags were definitely intended for you.

If you're consistently hitting 90-100% then it really doesn't matter because you make every round count.

45 years ago if you wanted a high capacity pistol, you had a choice between a Browning HP, Beretta 92, S&W 59 or the highly exotic CZ-75 from behind the Iron Curtain.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    smokey0118, Good point and something I did not think of but yes, you're probably correct that the "loop hole" regarding magazines was purposely left there to allow the bill to pass more easily. I'm sure the politician figured they can always come back for them with a later bill.

That's exactly what they did already with mag capacity limits. At first the limit was 20 rounds then when tey decided to tighten the screws a litle more it was much easier to cross out all the 20's in COMAR and replace them with 10's.

Oh, and eliminate the word "loophole" from your vocabulary.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD

P320 Compact. It has a 9+1 capacity. Thicker than a P365XL but not much larger overall. I've carried it.

During the 1994-2004 capacity ban, big bore compact .45s were a thing because if you're limited to 10, you want each one to hurt as much as possible. I almost bought a Glock 30 for that purpose but the grip didn't work for me. Went with a P220 instead and have carried Sigs since.

Matt

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While more rounds in reserve is certainly better than fewer...I would believe the reality is that the vast majority of lethel force incidents are decided one way or the other within the first half-dozen rounds fired from all involved. Of course...no one wants to be on the short end of those numbers.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018

Agreed. I find the .45 cal glocks are actually mechanically more accurate than the 9mm, when when you throw the marksman barrel into the mix. Plus the bigger frame and trigger just feel better for me. Smaller handed people probably works disagree, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom