• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not sure of current pdf, but when I did it, those fields auto-populated with same data as the main form.

Did you try to print the entire form after filling out the first part? Could be that on printing, the CLEO gets auto-populated.

The credit card info did not get populated in the CLEO part, so someone put some thought into it.

I didn't try printing it first. On this version (October 2020), the credit card section is blacked out on the CLEO part. The smarty pants wife figured out a way to add our own text boxes to each field of CLEO. It was tedious, but much neater than my handwriting...and therefore probably worth the trouble. I have a somewhat unusual last name, and it is often mis-interpreted when I write (I have club memberships and credit cards with it misspelled, and even my DC letter initially had it wrong:rolleyes:).

They are going out in the mail tomorrow, so :fingerscrossed:

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    If I (a C&R holder to be) purchased a C&R eligible handgun from an individual would I have to go to an FFL for a transfer? Or would that not apply since at that point I would be a FFL?

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    If I (a C&R holder to be) purchased a C&R eligible handgun from an individual would I have to go to an FFL for a transfer? Or would that not apply since at that point I would be a FFL?

Every handgun transfer within MD has to go through an 01 FFL. Full Stop.

The purchaser doesn't have to have an HQL, however, if the gun is C&R.

Edited to add: If you're purchasing the C&R handgun from an out-of-state seller, however, then no 01 FFL has to be involved and the seller can ship it directly to you.

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore

Edited to add: If you're purchasing the C&R handgun from an out-of-state seller, however, then no 01 FFL has to be involved and the seller can ship it directly to you.

Awesome thank you for the clarification I appreciate it. Can’t wait to really blow some money!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

MSP can be used instead of an FFL01 for Pistol transfers person to person within the state of MD.
    Often used by many people here including myself.

One thing to add on your last statement, no magazine >10 rounds can be included with the pistol.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

BUT the out of state seller will need a copy of your license before they ship to you, And I think they'll send you a copy of their license with your purchase. At least that's the way it works with a brick and mortar FFL, so I could be wrong.

Jul 1, 2012
    BUT the out of state seller will need a copy of your license before they ship to you. And I think they'll they should send you a copy of their license with your purchase...

... but sometimes they won't send a copy because they think you as an FFL-03 aren't a "real" FFL.

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    MSP can be used instead of an FFL01 for Pistol transfers person to person within the state of MD.
    Often used by many people here including myself.

One thing to add on your last statement, no magazine >10 rounds can be included with the pistol.

I'd assume the 7 day wait still occurs as it is still and handgun?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'd assume the 7 day wait still occurs as it is still and handgun?

You assume correctly. In this case, the tranferror (seller) will retain the regulated firearm until the transferee (buyer) is "Not Disapproved". Oh, and the seller needs to ensure the transfer is completed on the Licensing Portal upon the actual transfer of the regulated firearm. Apparently that has been a problem in some of these transfers.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    C&R exceptions for MD regs?

Are there any exceptions for C&R when it comes to ‘high’ capacity mags??

If I want to get a beautiful WWII carbine that has a 15 rd mag... but that mag has matching serial numbers to everything else on the weapon.... am I really just supposed to ask seller to ship w/o mag??? And screw my investment and historical preservation?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

If I want to get a beautiful WWII carbine that has a 15 rd mag... but that mag has matching serial numbers to everything else on the weapon.... am I really just supposed to ask seller to ship w/o mag??? And screw my investment and historical preservation?

None that I'm aware of.

You might get the seller to ship the mags separately to a friend in Free America.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

As the above poster mentioned, you can ask them to ship the mag somewhere out of state and then pick it up at your discretion. Some will do this, others will not.

But no, there is no exception for C&R weapons.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Alright...I'm trying to figure this out. I'm sure if I scroll back through this thread, I may find my answers. I have read, but am still unsure. I think I understand anyway...but I'm going brace myself for the slings and arrows and ask again.

I got my license in the mail, then a week later got the packet with the list, a loss form, an amendment form, and a letter explaining that form P3317.2 was not included because it's on back order. I looked that number up online, and found it to be a hodgepodge of forms relating to loss or theft. It was geared more to a full brick and mortar FFL, not the FFL03 instructions that I was hoping it would be. Sooo...how do I use this damned thing? :o

My understanding is that I do not sign the actual license. I make a copy of it (unsigned) that I will sign at the time of transfer, and give to whoever I'm buying from...along with a copy of my driver's license. Then log the purchase in my bound book. Is that correct?
    Am I supposed to come home with a copy of the person I buy from's license as well?

What's the purpose of the little cut out card at the bottom of the license (that says, "Not valid for the sale or other disposition of firearms," on it)?

Also, what to I put for, "Position/Title?"

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for your patience...I'm not stupid. I just really don't want to screw anything up with the ATF :o

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My understanding is that I do not sign the actual license. I make a copy of it (unsigned) that I will sign at the time of transfer, and give to whoever I'm buying from...along with a copy of my driver's license. Then log the purchase in my bound book. Is that correct?
    Am I supposed to come home with a copy of the person I buy from's license as well?

What's the purpose of the little cut out card at the bottom of the license (that says, "Not valid for the sale or other disposition of firearms," on it)?

Also, what to I put for, "Position/Title?"

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for your patience...I'm not stupid. I just really don't want to screw anything up with the ATF :o

So, make several copies of your license. Sign one of those copies, scan it into your computer, save it as a JPEG and/or convert it to a .pdf. 99% of what you will likely be doing when dealing with any of the online sellers will involve this copy. Keep the unsigned original document and several unsigned copies somewhere safe. The reason you do this is that there are still some wackadoodles out there who won't take a scanned version or a copied version of a signed license, they want to see live ink. Less than 1% of your transactions will require the wackadoodle live-ink signed copies.

The card is worthless, just leave it attached.

For your position/title, "Collector" will suffice.

All FFLs you deal with, regardless of what "type" they are, need to furnish you with a copy of their license. If you're buying from a non-ffl (you CAN absolutely buy some random dude's C&R-eligible arms from Kansas or wherever with your license) you will need their full name and address.

Lastly, you will need a bound book. It can be a spiral-bound notebook, a composition book, or a purpose-printed book (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/BookFactory-Firearms-Acquisition-Disposition-Record/dp/B003Y7OBSI/) You MUST log all C&R eligible firearms you purchase and/or dispose of (sell) in that book regardless of whether you acquired it as a FFL or ran a 4473 like any old schlub. Doesn't matter, your license doesn't turn on or off at your whim, if you are within your licensing period, C&R eligible items get logged.

There are instructions in your packet on how to log things, but it should be: weapon name/type, importer/manufacturer, serial number, caliber, date of acquisition or disposition, from/to whom it was purchased/sold.
    You can put the name and FFL number for FFL to FFL transfers, or the name and address for non-FFL to FFL acquisitions and dispositions.

Enjoy your newfound ease with which to drain your bank accounts!

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Do you have to log every firearm you owned before getting the C&R license after you get the license into your bound book, just the C&R firearms or none of the firearms that you owned before you receive your C&R license?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So, make several copies of your license. Sign one of those copies, scan it into your computer, save it as a JPEG and/or convert it to a .pdf. 99% of what you will likely be doing when dealing with any of the online sellers will involve this copy. Keep the unsigned original document and several unsigned copies somewhere safe. The reason you do this is that there are still some wackadoodles out there who won't take a scanned version or a copied version of a signed license, they want to see live ink. Less than 1% of your transactions will require the wackadoodle live-ink signed copies.

The card is worthless, just leave it attached.

For your position/title, "Collector" will suffice.

All FFLs you deal with, regardless of what "type" they are, need to furnish you with a copy of their license. If you're buying from a non-ffl (you CAN absolutely buy some random dude's C&R-eligible arms from Kansas or wherever with your license) you will need their full name and address.

Lastly, you will need a bound book. It can be a spiral-bound notebook, a composition book, or a purpose-printed book (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/BookFactory-Firearms-Acquisition-Disposition-Record/dp/B003Y7OBSI/) You MUST log all C&R eligible firearms you purchase and/or dispose of (sell) in that book regardless of whether you acquired it as a FFL or ran a 4473 like any old schlub. Doesn't matter, your license doesn't turn on or off at your whim, if you are within your licensing period, C&R eligible items get logged.

There are instructions in your packet on how to log things, but it should be: weapon name/type, importer/manufacturer, serial number, caliber, date of acquisition or disposition, from/to whom it was purchased/sold.
    You can put the name and FFL number for FFL to FFL transfers, or the name and address for non-FFL to FFL acquisitions and dispositions.

Enjoy your newfound ease with which to drain your bank accounts!

Thank you! :bowdown:

The books we have (Katie got her license too) don't have quite as much room because they have a spot for a photograph, but still seem to have a space for all the pertinent information.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you have to log every firearm you owned before getting the C&R license after you get the license into your bound book, just the C&R firearms or none of the firearms that you owned before you receive your C&R license?

Log entry is required only when there are transfers.
    So, if you have C&R that you acquired before the CURRENT license, you don't have to log those. Just those that you acquire AND Sell/Gift. So, if you have one PRE C&R, then sell/gift/transfer, you log that sale in the book adding a new entry. You can note "Pre-FFL03" in the Buy column.

I have some that were NOT C&R when I purchased them and have now aged into C&R (one just turned 50 this year). IF I transfer, that will be the only time they will appear in my log book.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I am trying to get my C&R License, do I need to only fill out "Application for FFL" (12 pages) or do I fill out Part B - Responsible Person Questionnaire or both? Everything I have read so far on line keeps just taking me to the long list of ATF forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom