• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd post about going in to Continental Arms today on my way home from the York Gun show. (Pretty much everything was overpriced, but I picked up a couple of ancillary items.)

I rolled up to the door just a touch after 3:00. Granted, it's a Sunday afternoon, but given what I've experienced the last few times I've been to Cindy's Hot Shots in Glen Burnie, I was a bit surprised.

When my wife and I walked in, there was almost no one in there - I think the whole time we were there, maybe 3 other people came in. I didn't hear too much going on in the range so I can only assume there were lanes open.

Is this typical for Continental Arms, or is this only typical for Continental Arms on a Sunday afternoon?

I've seen threads and posted dedicated to talking about CA and it's often pretty disparaging, describing rude or inattentive staff or a myriad of other complaints. I don't go in there a lot because it's a bit out of the way for me, but in the times I've been there I've never been treated with anything but courtesy and respect. Perhaps we reap what we sow?

Anyway, if the places is always that dead, it might be worth the extra time and drive to shoot up there - Cindy's is much closer, but no more convenient if every time I try to go shoot I'm put on a waiting list until a lane opens up.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I was a member of the range there a few years ago. I personally never had a bad experience at the range. Never bought a gun from them because I know other gun stores do exist.

I didn't renewal my range membership because I had a much better option when the year was up.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For me On Target is the closest indoor range to ne. and Continental is about 35 min away. I have been to Continental about 4-5 times over the past few years and I have not had any bad experiences. The range is fairly well lit, clean and so far the RSO seem to be attentive and do their job. My go to time is usually mid day Saturday and I cannot recall ever being there when the range was more than 60% capacity.

Compared to OnTarget it’s hands down much better.

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    Peak weekend times are definitely early morning. The staff for the last few years has been great. Was going there on a regular basis until the recent change of weekday hours and never had an issue with the employees. When there were "newbie" issues on the range, the RSOs always handled them quickly and without attitude.

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    I have stopped going there back in 2013 when AWB was legislated and I made an on line purchase of soon to be banned rifle at the time. I went there because they were next door to my office, although I have been their customer at Owings Mills location which is now closed for past 20 years. My reason was the lady there, I can't recall her name now but her lack of knowledge of the laws and she had the audacity to try to sell me back my standard capacity magazine that came with the rifle as a parts kit. Same year later at the Christmas party I got a gift certificate for Continental Arms from the secret Santa at my work party and I just put it thru the shredder.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve been a couple times, to use the range. It’s been pretty busy. But that was pre pandemic. I’d go again. It was probably quiet because of the significant ammo shortage. A lot less people are shooting a lot less right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I've gone there a dozen or so times over the years. Never had a problem with the range. The only hiccup I ever had was when I bought a Glock 23, took a few extra days to get it not disapproved. I suspect they were a bit slow in getting it faxed in.

I did see one customer treated a bit rudely, he was definitely new to firearm and when the guy behind the counter asked him what he wanted the guy said he was looking for a 9mm. Counter guy told him that wasn't a brand, and took off to help someone else. Might have been Ziggy.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Bought a few things, decent people in my experience. My business partner spent alot with him, his brother and father buying large safes, guns, etc and they were always respectful.

At the range, the few times i went with him, when they'd ask to see my gun/ammo i'd show ammo and a CCW card and they accepted it without asking to remove/unload/handoff the gun. When partner asked RO a few questions, pretty happy to talk or leave you alone.

I think everyones complaint has been Ziggy lol

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So let me get this straight - there's still a moratorium in effect for doing business at Continental Arms because of some former employee named "Ziggy," who was a douche to customers, but who is no longer there and hasn't been for an indeterminate amount of time?

Am I getting that right?

It seems to me that there's a grudge being held for reasons that should no longer apply.

I looked at some of the prices in the case for guns, and some of the prices for other items. Nothing seemed too out of sorts, so pricing isn't something that would keep me away.

So let me get this straight - there's still a moratorium in effect for doing business at Continental Arms because of some former employee named "Ziggy," who was a douche to customers, but who is no longer there and hasn't been for an indeterminate amount of time?

Am I getting that right?

It seems to me that there's a grudge being held for reasons that should no longer apply.

I looked at some of the prices in the case for guns, and some of the prices for other items. Nothing seemed too out of sorts, so pricing isn't something that would keep me away.

Pretty much spot on.
    As I wrote in post #3, they have been very nice for the past 5-6 years when I have stopped in. To clarify, Ziggy left such a bad taste in my mouth, I stayed away for a solid 5+ years before going back. FWIW- The guy was so bad, I'm sure he permanently closed many customers from doing future business there.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Pretty much spot on.
    As I wrote in post #3, they have been very nice for the past 5-6 years when I have stopped in. To clarify, Ziggy left such a bad taste in my mouth, I stayed away for a solid 5+ years before going back. FWIW- The guy was so bad, I'm sure he permanently closed many customers from doing future business there.

One bad experience will do that...

I never met Ziggy, or he never hassled me. I used to like Continental when I lived up there although I've only shot on the "new" range once or twice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty much spot on.
    I gave Select Fire 3 chances. The first time I went in there other than being reminded about leaving my cell phone in the car, I was pretty much ignored by the two guys behind the counter who couldn't be bothered to even ask if I had any questions or if I needed help with anything.

The second time I actually used the range, but the guys acted like signing me in to shoot was some kind of inconvenience, and they would rather I wasn't there.

The last time I walked in and the guy was almost apoplectic in yelling at me to leave my cell phone in the car. By this point I already knew the drill - my phone WAS in my car. Then it was the same thing - they couldn't be bothered to deal with me at all - they just wanted to converse amongst themselves.

Ziggy must have been there at Continental Arms during one of my visits back in 2013 when I picked up a pistol in there out of the consignment case, but if he was, I don't recall dealing with him in any way. Every other time I've been there has been a pleasant experience.

One bad experience will do that...

I never met Ziggy, or he never hassled me. I used to like Continental when I lived up there although I've only shot on the "new" range once or twice.

I gave Select Fire 3 chances. The first time I went in there other than being reminded about leaving my cell phone in the car, I was pretty much ignored by the two guys behind the counter who couldn't be bothered to even ask if I had any questions or if I needed help with anything.

The second time I actually used the range, but the guys acted like signing me in to shoot was some kind of inconvenience, and they would rather I wasn't there.

The last time I walked in and the guy was almost apoplectic in yelling at me to leave my cell phone in the car. By this point I already knew the drill - my phone WAS in my car. Then it was the same thing - they couldn't be bothered to deal with me at all - they just wanted to converse amongst themselves.

Ziggy must have been there at Continental Arms during one of my visits back in 2013 when I picked up a pistol in there out of the consignment case, but if he was, I don't recall dealing with him in any way. Every other time I've been there has been a pleasant experience.

The stereotype 1980's rock band roadie or carnival worker is how he got the nickname "The Roadie". He reminds me of Ricky's dad on Trailer Park Boys (pictured below). They don't look alike, but he was the same genre. If you have met him, this picture would be a good reminder.

Attachments

• Ricky's Dad.jpg
      Ricky's Dad.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 421

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ziggy has been gone since 2015. Gone but not forgotten.

In an industry oftentimes known for less than stellar customer service, ol' Ziggy may have set the standard for the longest lasting legacy.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

In an industry oftentimes known for less than stellar customer service, ol' Ziggy may have set the standard for the longest lasting legacy.

Dave at Bel Air Gun and Pawn would have been a challenge to beat...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

There really is something to that. In my own observations - and this is purely anecdotal with no actual supporting evidence - that there is a personality type that gravitates towards working in a gun store/range, and it doesn't always run hand-in-hand with good customer service.

On Target is the shop/range I've gone to the most over the years, and there have been a few helpful folks in there - there's an older gentleman I've seen in the shop there who is very nice, very knowledgeable, very helpful, and he's definitely a credit to the store. I don't know if he's the owner/operator, or if he just works there, but I've always enjoyed chatting with him.

One of the things that I've often seen from guys who work behind the counters at these shops is a level of condescension toward the customers - it's like they have the belief that they automatically know more than the customer, simply because they happen to be on that side of the counter. It's possible that it's a learned thing - Lord knows we've all come across some rank beginners in our own trips the range. Unfortunately though, it becomes an automatic response, and most of us here on this board, especially those of us with some years on us, have absorbed a great deal of gun knowledge over the years, and can speak intelligently about gun-related things they may not even be aware of.

This isn't to say that I think you need to be an expert to work on that side of the counter - just don't automatically assume that because I'm on the customer side that I don't know anything.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    Add me to the list of people so offended by Ziggy I don't think I can walk through their door again!
    Disclaimer - I hate all ranges and most gun stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom