• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have long time friend who was telling me about a pistol with a folding stock that he inherited. He mentioned to me that he thought the pistol was illegal. However he sent me photos and this thing with the stock extended is 29” long so I said I think it’s legal.

He sent me the following link and something read online which states they are Federally Illegal.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/55/811/marbles-arms-mfg-co-game-getter-combination-22-44

The first Model 1908 left the factory in 1909, and continued in production till 1914.* Production ceased during WW1.* The Game Getter came in three standard barrel lengths:* 12", 15", and 18", with special orders down to 3" or up to 22".* Unfortunately barrel length is what led to the rarity of Marble's "Game Getter" guns on the open market today.* They were legislated out of existence (sounds familiar, doesn't it!) by the US National Firearms Act of 1934, which banned shotguns with barrel lengths less than 18" long.

The Marble's Game Getter is on the BATFE Curio & Relics list, however it was not removed from the National Firearms Act. Therefore, it must be registered under NFA or it is contraband.

940196e723cdafcb1407317b43974b7e.jpg

fa2d3723adff65600bbb84c02f8db8dd.jpg

9808f662d9b667a0aaa0ca291e71e0d5.jpg

So I told him about the brain trust here and said that someone should know the status or can confirm that the item is indeed NFA and therefore needs to be registered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think it's an SBR unless there is an exception like there is for the C96 Mauser. Unless it's a smooth bore.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I think it's an SBR unless there is an exception like there is for the C96 Mauser. Unless it's a smooth bore.

Seriously a 111 yr old SBR... some A-hole at ATF would probably say it needs to be confiscated and then it will end up in museum or worse his basement.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seriously a 111 yr old SBR... some A-hole at ATF would probably say it needs to be confiscated and then it will end up in museum or worse his basement.

Have him check. I read that they DID make some that were smooth bore. That would not be NFA.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If it is a black powder pistol, then it isnt considered a firearm at all.

44 Game Getter Ball cartridge, loaded with 30 grains of black powder and a 115-grain, . 425" diameter round ball, produced about 1000 fps, having ballistics similar to a Civil War-era .

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Wow, a Marble Game Getter, I remember reading about these years ago. If I recall, they are NFA C&R so they can ship direct to an 03 FFL after the Form 4 has cleared.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Gatling guns are not machine guns since they're hand cranked. They're also pre-1898 if original so they're considered antiques and thus not firearms under federal law.

Black powder is not the determining factor, being a muzzle vs breech loader is. If it takes metallic cartridges, regardless of the propellent used in those cartridges, then it is considered a modern firearm (if after 1898).

The Marble has both a rifled barrel and a smoothbore barrel, over/under.

Look them up. I think they're neat little - not sure what to call them - shotcarbinepistols. They serve as perfect examples of how completely asinine the NFA is. Handy little foraging firearms that could be easily carried, stowed, or packed and used to take a large variety of game. How cool would be be if you could buy a modern version of one of these in .22/20 gauge as a pack carbine without dealing with NFA asshattery?

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Working on my .22 cal one right now. If you put a motor on it then it’s NFA IMG_2507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Wow, a Marble Game Getter, I remember reading about these years ago. If I recall, they are NFA C&R so they can ship direct to an 03 FFL after the Form 4 has cleared.

Of that is the case, how does he legally take possession of something that has been in his family for generations. His grandfather died in 1984... Does he have to fill out the paperwork to transfer it to himself?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Of that is the case, how does he legally take possession of something that has been in his family for generations. His grandfather died in 1984... Does he have to fill out the paperwork to transfer it to himself?

If it’s never been registered in its history after the NFA came about or during the amnesty period, I don’t know that there is any way he can “legally” take possession of it in its current form. If ANY federal registration paperwork can be found that mentions the gun, there may be a chance...I’ve heard of people calling the ATF anonymously via a lawyer to inquire about the registration status of NFA items that have been found in family member’s attics and such. If it turns out it’s been registered in the past, there may be a chance.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I think that Game getters are exempt from NFA like the stevens pocket rifles etc. There was a time when they were banned, but I think they are now exempt. I see them for sale on gunbroker as C&R with no requirements for a form 4.

They haven’t been removed from NFA unfortunately:

Section IV — NFA firearms classified as curios or relics, still subject to the provisions of 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, the National Firearms Act, and 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Marble's Game Getter firearms, with combination cal.’s .44 or .410 gauge smooth bore and cal. .22 barrels, both first and second Models, with barrel lengths of less than 18", mfd. by the Marble Arms Corporation of Gladstone, MI, prior to 1943.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Either STFU, or permanently attach a muzzle device.

Again. Have him check the bore. If the bore is smooth he’s gtg.

Jul 1, 2012
    Again. Have him check the bore. If the bore is smooth he’s gtg.
    no, he's not. it's an "SBS"

ATF 5300.11 Section IV: NFA firearms classified as curios or relics, still subject to the provisions of 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, the National Firearms Act, and 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, the Gun Control Act of 1968.

"Marble's Game Getter firearms, with combination cal.’s .44 or .410 gauge smooth bore and cal. .22 barrels, both first and second Models, with barrel lengths of less than 18", mfd. by the Marble Arms Corporation of Gladstone, MI, prior to 1943."

I was in a local shop that had just received a beautiful H&R Handi-Gun smooth bore .410 - and they had to turn it over to the ATF. Stupid but there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom