• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellegon

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    Parkville
    A scenario my kids brought up while watching the riots:

What if someone is outside your house and preparing to throw a molotov cocktail at the home. What now?

As they raise their hand to throw shoot the bottle, instant crispy critter...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    No, when the police arrive the only words out of your mouth should be “I won’t be speaking with you until my attorney is present”
    NOTHING ELSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you suggest including "I feared for my life."

"I feared for my life. I'm not comfortable making any statements until I talk to my attorney."

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    These are the Maryland Pattern Jury Instructions on Self Defense. These are a great resource:

MD MPJI-Cr 5:07 Self-defense

You have heard evidence that the defendant acted in self-defense. Self-defense is a complete defense and you are required to find the defendant not guilty if all of the following four factors are present:

(1) the defendant was not the aggressor [[or, although the defendant was the initial aggressor, [he] [she] did not raise the fight to the deadly force level]];
    (2) the defendant actually believed that [he] [she] was in immediate and imminent danger of bodily harm;
    (3) the defendant’s belief was reasonable; and
    (4) the defendant used no more force than was reasonably necessary to defend [himself] [herself] in light of the threatened or actual harm.

[Deadly force is that amount of force reasonably calculated to cause death or serious bodily harm. If you find that the defendant used deadly-force, you must decide whether the use of deadly-force was reasonable. Deadly force is reasonable if the defendant actually had a reasonable belief that the aggressor’s force posed an immediate and imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm.]

[[In addition, before using deadly-force, the defendant is required to make a reasonable effort to retreat. The defendant does not have to retreat if [the defendant was in [his] [her] home], [retreat was unsafe], [the avenue of retreat was unknown to the defendant], [the defendant was being robbed], [the defendant was lawfully arresting the victim]]. [If you find that the defendant did not use deadly-force, then the defendant had no duty to retreat.]

In order to convict the defendant, the State must prove that self-defense does not apply in this case. This means that you are required to find the defendant not guilty, unless the State has persuaded you, beyond a reasonable doubt, that at least one of the four factors of complete self-defense was absent.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Andrew Branca suggests stating that you acted in self defense at the scene to the first responders. If Squire Branca suggests it, I'm doing it. Beyond that, he says have your attorney present when you speak to the investigators.

ETA: 144 posts and no one mentioned Branca, duh

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    A scenario my kids brought up while watching the riots:

What if someone is outside your house and preparing to throw a molotov cocktail at the home. What now?

This is a tough one. Maryland does have Pattern Jury Instructions for Defense of Home.

MPJI-Cr 5:02 Defense of Habitation — Deadly Force

You have heard evidence that the defendant acted in defense of [his] [her] home. Defense of one’s home is a defense, and you are required to find the defendant not guilty if all of the following five factors are present:

(1) [name of person] entered [or attempted to enter] the defendant’s home;
    (2) the defendant believed that [name of person] intended to commit a crime that would involve an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm;
    (3) the defendant reasonably believed that [name of person] intended to commit such a crime;
    (4) the defendant believed that the force that [he] [she] used against [name of person] was necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily harm; and
    (5) the defendant reasonably believed that such force was necessary.

In order to convict the defendant, the State must show that the defense of one’s home does not apply in this case by proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that at least one of the five factors previously stated was absent.

I'm not a lawyer, 2-4 seem pretty clear in your case. 1 is the one that worries me. Does throwing a Molotov Cocktail constitute attempting to enter a home?I think it could, but to me it doesn't seem as clear cut as the others.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

"I feared for my life. I'm not comfortable making any statements until I talk to my attorney."

Honestly I don’t think I would say anything. You are ALWAYS best served by only talking to the police AFTER you have talked to your attorney. PERIOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    The problem with a molotov cocktail and MDFF's post is that I don't know if you have to prove you couldn't abandon the house if it was firebombed. If you can abandon the home, then 2 and 4 don't apply. And if it is a mob just throwing molotov cocktails without looting, then 1 doesn't apply either.

I would say something along those lines. Refusing to say anything will result in a few days in jail until they figure things out. Telling them the person broke into your house, you were in fear for your life and had to do what was necessary to protect yourself and family is not incriminating.

If you shot them in the back or outside your home then you should probably stay quiet until you speak to a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I would say something along those lines. Refusing to say anything will result in a few days in jail until they figure things out. Telling them the person broke into your house, you were in fear for your life and had to do what was necessary to protect yourself and family is not incriminating.

I'm just going to go with, "He made a furtive movement" and hope for the best. :sad20:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The problem with a molotov cocktail and MDFF's post is that I don't know if you have to prove you couldn't abandon the house if it was firebombed. If you can abandon the home, then 2 and 4 don't apply. And if it is a mob just throwing molotov cocktails without looting, then 1 doesn't apply either.

Yeah, that is a good point about abandoning the house. I imagine a person with disabilities or an elderly person might be a different case than a young, able-bodied person. In terms of abandoning the house, then defense of another might come into play. If you had a family member who could not be moved, such as someone on an IV pump or bedridden, and someone threw a molotov cocktail, you could make an argument that since they can't be moved, the fire poses a real risk to their life.

I'd say this is one a person should talk with a lawyer about their exact situation.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Attachments

• CC17ADB2-01AB-4BBF-A325-14576588766F.jpeg
      CC17ADB2-01AB-4BBF-A325-14576588766F.jpeg
      73.1 KB · Views: 370

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Personally, I have spent a good deal of time thinking of exactly how to respond to the police in a variety of grave situations. I never liked the fact that saying "I'm not saying anything until I talk to my lawyer" sounds guilty as hell. So I have decided that if I am ever in a bad situation my respectful statement will be: "I hope you understand. Because of the gravity of the situation, I will not be making a statement or answering any questions at this time."

I really, really like the suggestion about complaining about chest pain and would add tightness in my chest as well.

Rob.

Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In his in person seminars, Branca does suggest going to the ER before saying anything more than you acted in self defense. You may be in shock. You and quite often the first respondering LEO's are not as fully trained to evaluate this as those in the ER are. Let the experts decide.

Its true, outright refusal to say anything does look uncooperative and/or incriminating. Branca suggests telling first responders what they need to know for their own safety, secondly, where evidence and witnesses are. If others showed up after the fact, you don't want non-witnesses portraying that they were actual witnesses.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    On the call to 9-1-1 also give as much pertinent information as possible...your description...what you're wearing...how many others are in the house with you...if you have time to do so. If you have a second person such as your wife have her keep the phone line open for communications...to provide locations in the house of the occupants and to provide that information as necessary.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Also...if you have a bathroom with a steel tub it would be a good place for the wife and kids to hunker down low in and have the bathroom door locked. It's not a guarantee of safety but it's better than sheetrock.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Unless you are LEO, then it might be OK, legally...

People turn and fire all the time while retreating. My SDPD Lieutenant Brother lost his best buddy in exactly that way, fresh out of the academy, chasing a bad guy without his gun out and the guy whirled and head shot him with a .22.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    On the call to 9-1-1 also give as much pertinent information as possible...your description...what you're wearing...how many others are in the house with you...if you have time to do so. If you have a second person such as your wife have her keep the phone line open for communications...to provide locations in the house of the occupants and to provide that information as necessary.

It's a terrible idea to have a 2nd person on the phone with 911 giving a play by play.
    You have no idea what he or she would say. That recording will be heard by the grand jury and her screaming " OH MY GOD MY HUSBAND JUST SHOT HIM!!!!" sounds guilty as hell. It doesn't help your case.

Leave it on speaker phone after your initial call for service, and throw it on the floor. Then go about defending yourself. Let the evidence tell the story. Not a conflicting 911 recording to gum everything up.

" Sir but your wife said........." " That doesn't correlate with what you said".

IF you tell that person to tell 911 something, what that person say WILL NOT BE EXACTLY what you told them to say.
    Staying on the phone with 911 while things are "Hot" doesn't help you help yourself. That call taker will be asking ALL KINDS OF QUESTIONS during that call.

People don't know that 911 is THE FIRST conversation with the police.
    The 2nd talk with police will be with responding officers and then ultimately with an investigator.

You will talk to the police 3 times. The most information you give will be during that call.

Think about that for a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom