• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    One thing I should mention is that the media is clearly NOT showing the recovery rate of people who had Coronavirus. So far, estimates show that approximately 40,000 people who contracted Coronavirus have recovered with no further symptoms and in full health. The virus is a LOT less deadly than some people are making it out to be. However, the usual at-risk groups are the ones who should meticulously prepare as it seems to have a higher mortality rate among those people than other diseases.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Silly question. If I recollect, you’ve already got a big old first rate hammer that you’re qualified with...

I just use that one to stun them so I can get to work

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This... :thumbsup:

I've seen several Youtube videos of people eating C Rations from the late 60's and early 70's, and for the most part they were still edible.

Your grocery store canned stuff like Chef Boyardee pasta's, Hormel Chili, Campbells soups etc. should be edible for quite some time beyond the expiration date, but they are probably most appetizing if eaten before it goes too far past that date.

I ate c-rations when I was a Cub Scout in the 70’s. Those things were OLD.

With canned stuff, if it doesn’t spoil in a few years, it won’t, as long as the can maintains it’s integrity.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Eldersburg Walmart last night.

I bought 3 boxes of tissues . I'm ready for the Golden Girls marathon
    694cbec3339866443442820a019661fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I ate c-rations when I was a Cub Scout in the 70’s. Those things were OLD.

With canned stuff, if it doesn’t spoil in a few years, it won’t, as long as the can maintains it’s integrity.

:thumbsup:

They were produced for decades, and I still have somewhat fond memories of certain menu items from the early to mid 70's.

As a young GI we used to trade and barter certain items in the C ration box, for example, I didn't smoke so I could trade off the cigarettes for foods I liked..

But you are absolutely right... canned stuff has a much longer lifespan than most people realize. When you open an old can you are going to know pretty quick by the smell if it's spoiled. For the rest, it mainly comes down to a question of palatability.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You know, people going crazy isn't great, but this is still WAY better than them doing it in the few hours before a mandatory quarantine goes into effect. I have a couple more canned foods I need to pick up to feel complete, but I'll just hit Giant or something.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Would be nice if everyone does a run on the stores now,or in the next couple of weeks it will give plenty of time for the stores to restock. The better prepared everyone is, the better.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You know, people going crazy isn't great, but this is still WAY better than them doing it in the few hours before a mandatory quarantine goes into effect. I have a couple more canned foods I need to pick up to feel complete, but I'll just hit Giant or something.
    Went to the Giant in Urbana about an hour ago. Regular Sunday crowd, short lines, and well stocked in canned goods and water (although I was quick). Didn't check for hand sanitizer.

By contrast, my wife said Frederick Costco was a zoo on Friday morning.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Food Lion in Lisbon was just a little busier than normal, but no hand sanitizer or isopropyl alcohol was on the shelves. I didn’t check for water.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Costco Wheaton today was similar to other describes Costcos. Madhouse. Everyone piling up in the back where the bottled water is stocked. Out of hand sanitizer. Surprisingly white bread was low. Rest of the food was normally stocked.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Something I think I will add to my stores is a pump up garden sprayer and some spray able disinfectant. You have seen the videos of the Chinese and Koreans spraying everything. I might want to disinfect something large like maybe a car or a room or even a visiting MDS member.

What would be a good broad spectrum disinfectant that could be sprayed from a garden sprayer?

Sample sprayer:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1501HDXA/307766754

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Something I think I will add to my stores is a pump up garden sprayer and some spray able disinfectant. You have seen the videos of the Chinese and Koreans spraying everything. I might want to disinfect something large like maybe a car or a room or even a visiting MDS member.

What would be a good broad spectrum disinfectant that could be sprayed from a garden sprayer?

Sample sprayer:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1501HDXA/307766754

I use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-...aner-and-Disinfectant-3310100401128/305116845 . Doubt its been officially tested on every day cold (viruses)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-...aner-and-Disinfectant-3310100401128/305116845 . Doubt its been officially tested on every day cold (viruses)
    Product description said it gets other enveloped RNA viruses, including HCV and HIV (HCV is a bit hardier in the environment), so as you said, it probably works with SARS-CoV-2. For those not clicking through, this product's active ingredient is a detergent that solubilizes the lipid membrane of the virus (stolen/pinched off from the host cell membrane) rendering it uninfectious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom