Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    The elephant is pretty tasty...:innocent0

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I still think It will be interesting to see how they approach the definition of business owner in their eyes.

TD

The definition is no different today, without restriction, than it was yesterday with restriction.

They aren't changing the definition of owner, just removing the restrictions for business owners.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    FWIW, I don't see a dime's worth of difference between a company owner's inferred danger and that of an "ordinary" person out and about on any given day. Put another way, the life of my spouse and children surpasses the value of, say, a vendor's stash of fishing poles. Kudos to those who finally get unrestricted permits! Hopefully, I'll live long enough to see Shall Issue in this upside down state.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    FWIW, I don't see a dime's worth of difference between a company owner's inferred danger and that of an "ordinary" person out and about on any given day. Put another way, the life of my spouse and children surpasses the value of, say, a vendor's stash of fishing poles. Kudos to those who finally get unrestricted permits! Hopefully, I'll live long enough to see Shall Issue in this upside down state.

It is bitter sweet for me the victory , it is the men and women left behind that bother me .
    I already know and understand your frustration and agree with you 100% , I am no better or worse then you and hope you will be able to share in the joy of positive movement .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    New modification form is up on the MSP's website.

68753075_2433433480035699_387656682915758080_o.jpg

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Its def. a change in the correct direction. But I still am cautious for the future. Wonder if it will encourage more small business? Still think we will see an interesting, very limited version of the definition of business owner. A guy doing odd jobs part time is a sole proprietor...........

Of course I watched the news for about ten minutes tonight and thats all it took to make me wonder about the future in general...........

TD

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

I have no illusions. I'm fighting for my great grandchildren's right to open carry.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

I’m not defending the decision, but I think I can explain the rationale. You’re free to disagree. It’s not my logic. Just my interpretation of theirs.

This decision isn’t about whose life is more valuable, although I understand why some are seeing it that way. The mindset isn’t about value of the life, its about the probability that a person is the target for an attacker. While it’s true that a mom, pushing her stroller in the park, would be an easy target, what would the reward be for attacking her? A few twenties and some car keys? Now how about the owner of the liquor store, at closing time. Thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in cash on him. Wouldn’t it seem to offer a better “reward” to target the business owner over the normal citizen? And if so, it would seem more likely that the business owner would be targeted. Thus, the business owner is more at risk. Doesn’t mean his life is worth more, just that he’s more likely to be targeted. I think there validity in this conclusion - that the business owner may be more at risk. Doesn’t mean he deserves the permit any more than a regular Joe. But under the current mindset of MSP, where to get a permit you need to prove you’re more st risk than a regular citizen, being a business owner seems to satisfy that requirement. I think most of us agree it’s a bogus requirement. Again, I’m not defending it. Just trying to understand the logic behind this decision from their side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I’m not defending the decision, but I think I can explain the rationale. You’re free to disagree. It’s not my logic. Just my interpretation of theirs.

This decision isn’t about whose life is more valuable, although I understand why some are seeing it that way. The mindset isn’t about value of the life, its about the probability that a person is the target for an attacker. While it’s true that a mom, pushing her stroller in the park, would be an easy target, what would the reward be for attacking her? A few twenties and some car keys? Now how about the owner of the liquor store, at closing time. Thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in cash on him. Wouldn’t it seem to offer a better “reward” to target the business owner over the normal citizen? And if so, it would seem more likely that the business owner would be targeted. Thus, the business owner is more at risk. Doesn’t mean his life is worth more, just that he’s more likely to be targeted. I think there validity in this conclusion - that the business owner may be more at risk. Doesn’t mean he deserves the permit any more than a regular Joe. But under the current mindset of MSP, where to get a permit you need to prove you’re more st risk than a regular citizen, being a business owner seems to satisfy that requirement. I think most of us agree it’s a bogus requirement. Again, I’m not defending it. Just trying to understand the logic behind this decision from their side.

If the perp were pursuing her as a rape victim instead of $$$, the answer is a definitive NO!

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    If the perp were pursuing her as a rape victim instead of $$$, the answer is a definitive NO!

True. And a great example for why the rationale is BS.

However, playing Devil’s Advocate, remember: they start with the mindset that you need to be significantly more at risk than an average Joe (or Jane) to have a GAS reason to carry. The woman target doesn’t have that. She’s just as likely as any other woman to be raped, thus no more at risk than anyone else. And therefore, she doesn’t qualify. The business owner IS more at risk (presumably) than the average Joe, because he may carry cash, possess equipment, have access to trade secrets, or who knows what else. Since most people AREN’T business owners, he appears to be more at risk than an average Joe. So the logic holds. But it’s all based on the horse shit premise that you should some how be “worthy” of a permit because you’re a higher risk for being a victim than the average Joe. Interestingly, living in Baltimore City does NOT (in their eyes) make you more likely to be a victim than living elsewhere... you’re the same as every other City resident, thus, not special.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

“We” are more important to the state because we are a source of additional tax revenue. Maryland is our pimp. They want to keep their 6% safe.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    “We” are more important to the state because we are a source of additional tax revenue. Maryland is our pimp. They want to keep their 6% safe.

Your cynicism runs deep young padwan...but I believe you’re correct!

I read this thread with the strangest mix of feelings. On one hand, I’m glad for any increment of progress. On another, it irritates me once again that Marylanders have to beg, plead, and finagle with the MSP for a right that is guaranteed in the Constitution. We just moved from Maryland to the great state of Tennessee, and I was talking with someone in the TSP yesterday about what I need to do to get my concealed carry permit here. A short class, a range demo, proof of citizenship, proof of residency and $100 gets you an EIGHT year permit. $300 gets a lifetime permit. The person telling me this apologized for the fees. I wanted to kiss her, but suspected she probably already had her own permit :-)

I don’t mention this to discourage all of you who live there, but it’s only one of several examples I could already offer. For reasons I don’t really understand, Maryland suppresses individual liberty. The sense of freedom and personal responsibility I feel in transactions like yesterday’s is literally like fresh air.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For reasons I don’t really understand, Maryland suppresses individual liberty.

Leftists suppress individual liberty. It's central to their entire world view. And through decades of work in the public schools, they have turned Maryland into a state run by leftists. It's as simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom