• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello All,
    I picked up vintage FN Mauser, chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp.I am looking to purchase a set of Redding Dies and Brass to load.Redding offers two sets of dies for this cartridge;219 Donaldson wasp and 219 Donaldson wasp short. All of my loading data shows one version of the cartridge.I cant find any information on the "short".Can any one shed some light on this or point me in the right direction? Thanks for your time and help.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    As I recall, the original version IS the "Short" version. There was some sort of snafu, like the 6.5-284 Hornady version vs Norma's (standard these days).

Great cartridge, never had one though.

Do you have Parker Ackley's handbooks? My copies are at the shop, but I think there is discussion of the original dimensions there.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Found out it was indeed a .060"+/- dimensional error perpetuated in some loading books and by EABCO, a barrel maker. Wikipedia says .063" and provides a little more info.

EABCO sells ".219 Long" brass. My suggestion would be to buy some and try it. If it fits, your rifle is a "Long". If not, it should resize/trim to the correct dimension if the rim fits your extractor.

Otherwise, get some CerroSafe (Brownells) and do a chamber cast, find the questionable dimensions and call Redding's guru.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I have the two original Speer Wildcat manuals from the late 50's early 60's if you need old data or dimensions. I also have PO Ackleys book.
    Let me know if you need info

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom