• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I also shoot ZQI or PriPartizen in mine...

I can hold 5" groups with out much of a problem at 200 yards w/ ZQI.

Make sure you get yourself a good scope mount; the Springfield one is crap. I went with a ARMS/SWAN mount.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I can't wait to shoot this and my Garand this week. I haven't fired the M1 in ages! Unforgivable I know. :(

Not unforgivable at all. I rarely use the one I've got either. Although I've no plans to sell it (every collection should have a Garand), I think the M1's boring and cantankerous. The M1A's a much better rifle in every way.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Not unforgivable at all. I rarely use the one I've got either. Although I've no plans to sell it (every collection should have a Garand), I think the M1's boring and cantankerous. The M1A's a much better rifle in every way.

I can't stop fondling both. The M1 holds a special place in my heart as I grew up hearing tales of it from my Grandfather who served with the 3rd Div 21st Marines on Guam, Bouganville, and Iwo Jima. That M1 has kept me company and I love to hunt with it. I can't wait to hunt with the M1A. If I had to part with one it would be the M1A only because I'd part with my nuts before my Garand. :)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Not really too much Surplus 7.62x51 out there.

I found Portuguese surplus at my shop for $14.95 a box. Brass case non corrosive. Snagged the last 3 boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Portugese stuff should be "FNM" headstamped IIRC and is decent stuff. The Malaysian ball was really good stuff and consistently shot 3/4 MOA outta' my 1/12" twist M1A. Yours should be a 1/11" twist IIRC for the "loaded" model so it may or may not do as well with the 147 to 150 grain loads, may have to up it to the 168's.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The Portugese stuff should be "FNM" headstamped IIRC and is decent stuff. The Malaysian ball was really good stuff and consistently shot 3/4 MOA outta' my 1/12" twist M1A. Yours should be a 1/11" twist IIRC for the "loaded" model so it may or may not do as well with the 147 to 150 grain loads, may have to up it to the 168's.

Yea I should have clarified and said cheap surplus. At this point you aren't saving much by buying surplus compared to new manufacturer.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have a CMP M14 stock on mine. Fits just fine. Only problem is, you'll be sad when you see the empty cutout for the select fire switch. :(

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish" M1A!!!!!!

Look at the Sadlak Ind. mount. I have the steel mount. Rock solid.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The scope (Nikon Buckmaster) is clamped in Leupold MKIV rings. Again, rock solid.
    IF I remember correctly, the scope is 4.5-18x.

Ammo -

I've shot some South African 7.62x51mm surplus stuff through this rifle, and it shoots about 1" at 100 yards out of my rifle.

"I" don't shoot Indian ammo. IF memory serves me, this stuff was "bad juju". POOR quality to JUNK quality.

99% of what I shoot is handloads, using Federal, Winchester or LC brass and Sierra 168 gr MatchKing boolits, and H-4895 or W-748 powder.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Nice Rifle!

I actually just picked up my first M14 type rifle on Tuesday. I found a Polytech from a member on another forum and completed the cash & Carry transfer at Engage (Great Group there BTW). I am completely new to this platform but after being a part of the local USGI stock buy I really got interested in them.

I had to have one and I have a few (to say the least) stock options for her too. Don't at my USGI synthetic paint job, just learning the process at this time! I am meeting with Charlie Maloney on Friday to inspect the headspace and install a USGI flash suppressor that I picked up. I also have the Hawks Eco 2 dummy switch that needs to be installed when I have a moment!

I have some USGI handguards curing right now after some black matte Aluma-Hyde. Need some ammo and range time.

How I got her:

Getting her dressed:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    So since I posted this I've done some upgrades. It sits in a USGI stock I got from Yingpin, and the fiberglass one from him is now on the way. Thanks again!

I found an ARMS #18 mount and ditched the POS crooked promag one. Next is a camo paint job on the fiberglass stock, then M14 bayonet lug. Then I'll sigh her in!

Im not 100% confident in this Vortex ring. Any suggestions on a 30mm ring that is SOLID enough to hold this red dot on the M1A? Bonus points for QD!

Thanks again to everyone who helped so far.

7021e94a3c3b6d30b34daf53dcfa93fe.jpg

Feb 28, 2013
    Geez..:facepalm:

Another one with no bayo lug. Gotta git them thangs swapped out, boys, or Sen. Frankenfeinstein wins.

Can't have that. :cool:

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Ij Congrats on that Purchase ! It is a fun shooter anything inside of 480 Yds is easy with Good Ammo. I bought Mine Years ago along with a Colt .45 1911 series 80 in a Package Deal I could Not Pass up. Crap load of Magazines for both was included. I still have a Place in Md, how is that Treated ? Grandfathered ??.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom