• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I just picked up a Tactical Solutions .22 M4 upper and I'm having an issue with it. It uses Blackdog mags and the last round hold back consists of the bolt resting on the mag follower instead of the bolt catch. In order to remove the mag I have to push the mag release button while also pulling the charging handle back to releave the pressure from the bolt resting on the follower. What a pain in the ass!

For those with Tac Sol upper's, is this how it's suppose to operate or am I missing something? There's very little in the manual aside from mantinence/cleaning info.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I just picked up a Tactical Solutions .22 M4 upper and I'm having an issue with it. It uses Blackdog mags and the last round hold back consists of the bolt resting on the mag follower instead of the bolt catch. In order to remove the mag I have to push the mag release button while also pulling the charging handle back to releave the pressure from the bolt resting on the follower. What a pain in the ass!

For those with Tac Sol upper's, is this how it's suppose to operate or am I missing something? There's very little in the manual aside from mantinence/cleaning info.
    Just pull the mag out. Not going to hurt it if the bolt snaps shut. While CMMG makes a real hold open plate that goes on top of the lower mag
    tunnel I have found they don't work too reliably. There are no mags available for a .22 AR that work the bolt correctly. My Taccom .22 upper is just like that also. It uses a CMMG bolt assembly which I am almost positive the Tac Sol does also. If in doubt just do tactical reloads by swapping mags before the last round it shot. That is what I did to beat John Allchin in the Wounded Warrior rifle side match at the 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championship (he uses a $2000 Ruger 10/22)( he won the title that year).
    If you do that it shoots just as fast as a S&W 15-22. That is how I use a tactical rimfire rifle at the PSA Rimfire Challenge also.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Just pull the mag out. Not going to hurt it if the bolt snaps shut. While CMMG makes a real hold open plate that goes on top of the lower mag
    tunnel I have found they don't work too reliably. There are no mags available for a .22 AR that work the bolt correctly. My Taccom .22 upper is just like that also. It uses a CMMG bolt assembly which I am almost positive the Tac Sol does also. If in doubt just do tactical reloads by swapping mags before the last round it shot. That is what I did to beat John Allchin in the Wounded Warrior rifle side match at the 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championship (he uses a $2000 Ruger 10/22)( he won the title that year).
    If you do that it shoots just as fast as a S&W 15-22. That is how I use a tactical rimfire rifle at the PSA Rimfire Challenge also.

Rimfire competition. ... how could you afford the ammo!
    :lol2:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Its known as stocking up early. However I don't practice yearound anymore, even though I have about 9k rounds. I conserve the CCI I shoot at major events and get whatever I can to use as practice ammo. Used to be I only bought CCI and Federal .22. Now I have ammo from just about everybody even the hated Remington, plus Eley, Aguila, S-K, Winchester, etc. You have to buy whatever you find at a decent price, and sometimes even not at a decent price.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

BJ Norris used a Tac Sol upper on one of his lowers to win the 2011 Ruger Rimfire World Championship. That was the first year I used an S&W 15-22 at the same event. Except for the 2nd day's shooting in the 2012 event where I used an AR w/.22 conversion kit I have used the 15-22 exclusively. I tend to consider the 15-22 to be a better competition rimfire AR than a real AR with a .22 upper.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My TacSol upper works the same way. The only drawback I see is the mags don't drop free.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo

What issues have you had with the CMMG BHO adapter and are they dependent on a certain brand mag being used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom