• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid :innocent0 - I keed, I keeeed.

Almost all of us remember when we just starting out with this stuff. Those few dicks you run across have probably forgotten what is was like or are covering up inadequacies with douche-baggery...much like most of the dips**ts in the General Assembly.

The biggest problem with reloading is if you screw up, the gun goes 'boom' inches from your head and/or in your hand. Or your buddy's head. Or your kid's head. Hence the liability part the state frowns on. The easiest way to screw things up is to do what 80% of the boneheads on youtube are doing: running a TV directly in front of their bench, drinking, or otherwise not being focused 100% on what the hell is going on.

I'll make the comparison between an open heart surgeon and a good reloader, it only takes a little bit of 'whups' to make a giant 'whupsie', except it is not the doctor's heart that's going to feel the 'boom'. /soapbox

Don't be scared of it but when you get into it, make sure you keep your head in the game. When you don't know something, look in your books, ask here or elsewhere - you already know the most important thing about reloading.

The part where you missed out the details on this comment is when you see these guys on YouTube, they are not "reloading" they are "Showing off" Look at me, Look at me... Most of those guys have not right to even be reloading from the videos I have seen. Plus they ogften times appear to be some complete ding song who should not even own a gun, but, still they are the same ones who have to post a video in a failed attempt to show they know what they are doing no matter how boring or ignorant the final result is.

When I reload I do it at night, by myself, no friends around, no radio, no TV, no one in that room but me. I tell guys who might come by to stay away from this time to this time I am reloading and I'll call you when I'm done.

I don't post videos and I only pictures of my reloads where it is a must for visual reference. I have no one to show-off for. I take my reloading seriously as a matter of life and... well you seem to already know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as far as reloading, or starting in the venture of reloading. Go For It. It's fun, rather easy and you'll learn something useful. I reload because I don't wanna pay the gougers prices in the retail markets. The ammo prices are not bad, the shipping prices are what burns me up.

Just remember three things when you get started:

1) Ask your questions on gun / reloading forums, BUT, don't expect many /any serious answers or technical data.

2) Don't watch YouTube videos on how to do things the right way.

3) Reread 1) several times.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Yep, there are absolutely spectacular manufacturer's videos out there. Then there are the boneheads.

It's the same level of professionalism vs jackassery in other youtube videos. There are some put out by the Army Marksmanship Unit (and many, many others) and then there are the "Hey Bubba, hold my beer while I hand this 95 pound girl who never held a gun before this .500S&W."

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Assuming these professional groups would like to be taken moderately seriously maybe someone should start a website dedicated with how to and how not to videos for the beginner / novice. The issue with public access posting is that you fish through many many videos trying to find the one that you think you can take seriously. YouTube ain't that place. There's no website that is dedicated to truth and facts and has a professional moderator that weeds out the Jackassery and Horsepuckery that I am aware of. I'm sure that there are videios out there that solve the solutions, but, I'm currently not seeing the resources.

jhud10

Aug 28, 2010
    Perry Hall
    i'm the 308 pen guy. looking for someone in central maryland, if anyone could knock out some primers out of about 50 or so 308 shells for me i'd give you a pen. make it easier to drill out the brass for pen making if the primers are out.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    i'm the 308 pen guy. looking for someone in central maryland, if anyone could knock out some primers out of about 50 or so 308 shells for me i'd give you a pen. make it easier to drill out the brass for pen making if the primers are out.

A hammer and a #4 finish nail in 3" will solve your issue with the primers.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex

Pm me I will do it while you wait

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

email me. I should be able to do that. Looking to try my Harvey deprimer on a rifle rd. Located in timonium.

davemon

May 16, 2013
    Pasadena
    ...weeds out the Jackassery and Horsepuckery...

Horsepuckery, great word! :D Yeah SOMDSHOOT, still looking around so I may PM you. I'm surprised to see this thread is still going actually, hadn't posted in a few days.

Was tempted to try reloading and looked into Hornady's equipment a bit, but I don't shoot enough for it to be worth taking up another hobby. Sounds like a lot of fun, but you gotta be selective with your limited time these busy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom