• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thumbs up. It was the first gun I ever bought, almost 10 years ago and it's still going strong. It's truly a great gun for the money. Hell it's even a great gun period. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Sweet. Guns up brother

:gun1:

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    If u have more money get a better shotgun... I have a maverick88 and luv it.. but I only bought it because I didnt have alot of money. I would much perfer a vepr12, saiga12, or even a rem870 or the mossberg500a... but like I said I do luv my mav88.. if u dont have alot of money its definatly worth it

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Decent gun, still assembled in TX with some Mexican made parts, will accept SOME Mossberg 500 accs, good for the price but upgrade when you can

It'll take all Mossberg parts except the safety and trigger group. I swapped the slide tube assembly (what the forend attaches to) for one from a 500, and put a 18.5" 500 barrel and heat shield on.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

RRDiesel87

Mar 26, 2010
    Hanover, PA
    Not so sure about the forend, we tried to put a blackhawk kit on one at work, and the slide mounts were different..that was the oem slide though im sure on from a 500 would fit

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    There were 3 pardner protectors at dicks in crofton today at 9pm, still prob will be there tomorrow. Were selling for $199.

Thanks bro, but Crofton is a hike for me. Im in western Md. Ill pick up the Mossberg and run with that. I seen enough good reviews on here. Thanks for the info.

:goodpost:

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Not so sure about the forend, we tried to put a blackhawk kit on one at work, and the slide mounts were different..that was the oem slide though im sure on from a 500 would fit

The forends are different between the two. The Mossberg has an action tube that the forend mounts to but on the Maverick the forend slides directly over the magazine tube. In order to put a Mossberg forend on a Maverick you need to use a Mossberg 500 action tube and bars.

The barrel and buttstock are fully interchangeable. Side saddle shell holders are also interchangeable but if it has a field forend like mine (on either the 500 or Maverick) then the six shot model won't fit unless the forend is replaced or shortened.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    In my opinion I think the pardner pump is way better than the maverick when it comes to cheap shotguns. The pardner is solid as hell.

I've got the Pardner, and it's a solid gun. But you can swap barrels yourself with the Maverick 88, unlike the Pardner which requires a factory re-fit for a barrel (which requires shipping the receiver to the factory, waiting, and then getting it back however many weeks later.)

I ended up buying an 870 for trap shooting rather than sending off my Pardner, spending the $80+ shipping for a decent barrel, and missing out on some trap fun in the interim!

I think you can't go wrong with either gun, but the Mav 88's barrel interchangeability gives it the edge in my book.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    IMHO the '88 is rather like the "5 at 9", in a nightclub/meat market sort of way. It's a good gun, solid, not the prettiest thing out there, but reliable and cheap enough you'll still respect yourself later.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah, the forends are different. I noticed that while I was looking for what few aftermarket parts would fit on the new Winchester Defenders.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah, the forends are different. I noticed that while I was looking for what few aftermarket parts would fit on the new Winchester Defenders.

You can swap out the forend assembly for a 500 slide tube and nut, which is what I did. It was ~$50 for the parts a few years back.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    wish I could find one...

Yea they are hard to find. I missed an H&R pardner pump at walmart by one day last week. I called Dick Sports Satruday and they had a Mav 88 in stock. It was the last one. A floor model, but I took it. I suggest you do the same- call in to different stores. Shotguns are not selling as fast as other guns. And you can still get shotgun shells cheap and easy. 25 for $8. Much better than a 223 round!!!!

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    Picked up a Maverick last tuesday for 220. Has a 20" barrel and the extended tube. I like it. Might put a heavier stock on it to balance the weight a little more and swap the forend for a 500 version but all in all I can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom