• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    So, a couple of years ago I saw Clandestine sporting a new Millett DMS scope on one of his AR builds and was intrigued. On a impulse, I saw them on sale at midway and they came with a free mount. I bit. I actually have not had an issue with this particular Millett.

Fast forward a few months, and my need for a cheap 16x brought me to consider the Millett TRS. I talked myself into it and it has sat atop one of my 700's for a year now. This particular 700 is duracoated, and so is the scope. I did the work myself. I didn't use any solvents on it. Nor did I cure it in an oven. Plus the scope has been duracoated since I received it and has been flawless for a year. Well, I was shooting it yesterday and noticed two small pieces of floating debris INSIDE the scope. Now the duracoat was applied appropriately. And I never tampered with the internals of the scope. The turret knobs were all taped off so no duracoat could compromise those, as were the ocular and objective.

So I call millett today to explain my problem, knowing that I'm probably going to eat this one because I modifief it. But the reason they gave astounded me.

The Tard in charge said "of course you have floaters, duracoat is applied at boiling temperatures so it compromised all of your seals". That's right, I voided my warranty because the durcaoat is dipped into boiling liquid. When I attempted to explain that duracoat is neither dipped, nor is it above room temperature, they would hear none of it.

The world is full of morons and Millett has one at the helm of their warranty department. Don't make my mistake. Don't duracoat your optics and don't buy a millett.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I had a Millet a number of years ago. I forget which model but it was to 24x. It was mounted on a Savage BVSS and it lasted for about 6 months shooting maybe once a week or so. After that it would never hold zero, and I also had junk inside moving around. I did' get a warrenty replacement. It lasted a little longer than did tha same thing. Thats when I moved to all Bushnell Elite series scopes.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    What do you mean, floating debris in the scope? Is there liquid in there?

No, not liquid. They are small irregularly shaped (two of them).that move about with recoil and are not remedied by cleaning the lenses, meaning they are inside the tube. They look like pieces of lint but jet black.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    As far as I can tell, all Millet products are cheap Chinese crap. I have a Millet DMS 1-4x on a range toy but I sure wouldnt want to trust my life to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom