• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Is it safe? Buddy just found a c96 on gunbroker and I was wondering if you could shoot 7.62x25mm out of it. I heard about it happening in WWII, but I wasn't real sure how similar these rounds are, and if it's safe to shoot out of an 80 year old gun. I have a ~1000 rounds left from my case I bouht with my Yugo Tok about a year ago.

Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

-hole punch

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    My understanding is that the newer (WWII and later) are much hotter than the original rounds used in the broomhandles, and thus are not safe to use. Some of it was intended for use in the PPSh and other subguns and runs even hotter.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I've got a C-96 that was converted to 9x19 mm Luger from .30 Mauser. Quite a few were converted and there is no marking on mine. In fact the original 7,63 marking is on the barrel. You might want to be sure that yours wasn't converted. I did a lot of research before taking it out to shoot, especially since it was purchased used. I would recommend checking all the springs and also the bolt stop before shooting, especially on the 9mm conversions. AFAIK, the hammer and hammer spring play an important part in managing the recoil forces on the C-96.

As a brief aside, one day at the range while shooting my C-96 the piece that locks the sight for elevation flew off along with its spring. It was not a cheap part to replace. Actually, getting parts for these things at all isn't cheap or easy depending on which time frame your C-96 was made. But it's easily worth it for the coolness factor. Not sure what it is, but between the Luger and C-96 the Germans made some sweet looking guns.

captainstashu

Jan 26, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've got a C-96 that was converted to 9x19 mm Luger from .30 Mauser. Quite a few were converted and there is no marking on mine. In fact the original 7,63 marking is on the barrel. You might want to be sure that yours wasn't converted. I did a lot of research before taking it out to shoot, especially since it was purchased used. I would recommend checking all the springs and also the bolt stop before shooting, especially on the 9mm conversions. AFAIK, the hammer and hammer spring play an important part in managing the recoil forces on the C-96.

As a brief aside, one day at the range while shooting my C-96 the piece that locks the sight for elevation flew off along with its spring. It was not a cheap part to replace. Actually, getting parts for these things at all isn't cheap or easy depending on which time frame your C-96 was made. But it's easily worth it for the coolness factor. Not sure what it is, but between the Luger and C-96 the Germans made some sweet looking guns.
    for your information. The Luger design is not German. It is American. I believe George Luger from Detroit? designed the gun and competed it against the 1911 Colt for acceptance by the Army. As you are probably aware, Colt won the competition with the 45 ACP. Luger later entered the competition to replace the German sidearm and his Luger design was adapted nby the Germans.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Hearing about parts flying off certain guns, and even having had a few parts fly off myself here and there (some of you may remember...) I'm beginning to think one of those magnetic mail picker-uppers from Lowes might be a good thing to have on hand at the range. Won't help for plastic front sights, but for anything steel...

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    for your information. The Luger design is not German. It is American. I believe George Luger from Detroit? designed the gun and competed it against the 1911 Colt for acceptance by the Army. As you are probably aware, Colt won the competition with the 45 ACP. Luger later entered the competition to replace the German sidearm and his Luger design was adapted nby the Germans.

Looks like we were both wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Luger

Georg Luger was Austrian. According to Wikipedia he improved the Borchardt pistol after US Army testing in 1894.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_pistol

The Swiss were the first to adopt the Luger in 1900.

hole punch said:
    Hearing about parts flying off certain guns, and even having had a few parts fly off myself here and there (some of you may remember...) I'm beginning to think one of those magnetic mail picker-uppers from Lowes might be a good thing to have on hand at the range. Won't help for plastic front sights, but for anything steel...

Not a bad idea, if you notice the part has come off. I didn't realize the part on my C-96 had come off until I was cleaning the pistol much later in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom