• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordtruck317

Apr 9, 2011
    Middle River
    I was talking to Rob about the "holster draw" and he said they are going to offer classroom training before you are considered to use a holster. I don't feel shoulder holsters should be allowed, just because the muzzle tends to be pointed behind you. My opinion

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I have concerns about some of the policies that have been posted in the other thread about what will be allowed. Drawing from a holster is a big one for me. I will not be shooting at this range unless I know exactly what that means. I will not subject myself to someone shooting near me without some formal training. Negligent discharge and someone’s dead....NOT ME :rolleyes:

I will have to agree with you here as I would be scared also walking behind or standing next to someone doing this trained or not.
    Maybe they can make specific times during the day for holster draw hours kind of like "Adult" swim.... I'm still a kid so I won't attend :D

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Just got back from my first trip to Freestate. It will deff not be my last! I love having a range so close to my house! Thanks to everyone at Freestate for being extremely nice and helpful!

bmoremarine

POLICE OFFICER / SemperFi
    Mar 19, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    These folks have a Huge investment so I would hope they are doing their best to provide a warm welcome. MD Shooters Forum provides "Free" Advertisement for Industry Partners and A new Range in Baltimore County is a good thing for the shooting community as well as the businessman smart enough to do it right.

I frankly would be shocked if anyone posted anything negative about the Staff and how they treated us that made a visit.

I have concerns about some of the policies that have been posted in the other thread about what will be allowed. Drawing from a holster is a big one for me. I will not be shooting at this range unless I know exactly what that means. I will not subject myself to someone shooting near me without some formal training. Negligent discharge and someone’s dead....NOT ME :rolleyes:

I believe its a polite way to say LEO only or those with some kind of training in it. Not your first time gun owner trying to be dirty harry.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Sorta like me Bitching about how Gun Shows Suck.... people get sick of hearing me :lol: ask FPS

bc1969

Apr 1, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I had the opportunity to visit Freestate today and I have to echo the praise that others have given the place. Beyond the facility itself, and its future potential once construction has been complete, I think these guys have place their finger on the sore spot which seems to drive us all crazy. Customer service. It was great. From the moment you walk into the place till the moment you leave.

During my time I experience a jam and did not have any tools with me. Rob, the resident gunsmith, dropped what he was doing and worked on my problem until resolution. I appreciated that and service like that will keep me coming back.

Good job Freestate and I wish them all the success in the world.

P.S. I had the chance to meet a few forum members. I've never been to any of the events or met anyone from MD Shooters face to face. Aucklan, weeman and MauiWowie it was good meeting you all and I hope to shoot with you again.

bc1969

Apr 1, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I think they may need to make that extra room into another range.I think this range will out grow the space already setup. Maybe have a pistol/.22 rifle side and a large rifle/shotgun side. That 12ga that Brian was shooting was LOUD.

Sorry...the Saiga 12 is my baby. She sometimes doesn't know how to keep her voice down, especially indoors :)

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    I will have to agree with you here as I would be scared also walking behind or standing next to someone doing this trained or not.
    Maybe they can make specific times during the day for holster draw hours kind of like "Adult" swim.... I'm still a kid so I won't attend :D

No one will be allowed to holster draw without being certified to do so. We will be a safe facility. However, strong side holster draw is important some people, especially law enforcement. Perhaps we will take your suggestion and do it at specific times?

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    Yes they said they had someone yesterday going full auto that couldn't handle it and shot the ceiling. :lol2:

He did not shoot the ceiling, but he did bounce a few rounds off the last safety baffle. Some pistol shooters did the same thing. He only shot one burst on full auto, then we limited him to 3 shot bursts.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I stopped by freestate today. Met all the owners, got the tour. They got a big'ol MD Shooters logo hung in the front window.

The place is shaping up to be a country club as much as a range. Sure will be a joy to go there but I hope all the extra stuff doesn't become a drain, or a distraction from the core mission of being a gun range. You can't be all things to all people. Focus on being a damn good range first and everything else second.

Best of luck to you guys. I'll be a frequent customer so i'll see ya around.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oh, get over it!

Why should I? If I get bad customer service from somewhere then I will inform people about it every time the conversation comes up and quite frankly, I believe I have that right. If someone would have informed me of the poor level of customer service I got at Continental then I would have never given them my money. Besides the customer service, I was getting tired of taking spent casings to the face from the guy in the lane next to me due to a poor design flaw.

Wouldn't you expect someone who works at a class 3 FFL to at least know the MD firearm laws?

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    I believe its a polite way to say LEO only or those with some kind of training in it. Not your first time gun owner trying to be dirty harry.

Thats my view also. LEO's, MP's, competition shooters, etc. and people that have CCW's other than Fla. Noone else would have any reason to practice drawing from a holster.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    No one will be allowed to holster draw without being certified to do so. We will be a safe facility. However, strong side holster draw is important some people, especially law enforcement. Perhaps we will take your suggestion and do it at specific times?

What they used to do at another range I shot at a lot was that they allowed draw from a holster, strong side, if you were a member of the range and if you had been checked out by their staff on your skills and found to be safe. They marked your membership card as such when they checked you out. After that, if you wanted to practice from a holster, you just had to ask them when you came in. Most of the time, it was fine, and they would just put you to one side of everyone else on the line (I am right handed, so they would stick me as far down to the right as they could) so there would be less chance of inadvertently sweeping someone with your muzzle. If it was really crowded or something, they'd just say "hey, we're crowded, so not until it thins out a little" and then if enough people left, they'd come tell you later on.

I always found it to be a good system, and they did too.

Thats my view also. LEO's, MP's etc. and people that have Maryland CCW's. Noone else would have any reason to practice drawing from a holster.

Except, for, you know, those of us who would like to practice a useful skill with our firearms?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Why should I? If I get bad customer service from somewhere then I will inform people about it every time the conversation comes up and quite frankly, I believe I have that right. If someone would have informed me of the poor level of customer service I got at Continental then I would have never given them my money. Besides the customer service, I was getting tired of taking spent casings to the face from the guy in the lane next to me due to a poor design flaw.

Wouldn't you expect someone who works at a class 3 FFL to at least know the MD firearm laws?

Of course you have the right to not go there. And I suspect they don't want you there. If you had followed this forum you would have known about their so called "poor customer service." And, the spent shell casing issue has never been a problem for me and I go there often.
    I am just tired of the wasted bandwidth rehashing the same old shit.
    So like I said:
    Get over it.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    The issue I have with a unknown person ( to me ) drawing from a holster is that when others see them they will start doing the same thinking it must be ok. This is going to be a sticky subject for the owners and I expect some of the things they say " OK" to now may eventually be not allowed once things get up and running.

I just hope I'm not there when someone has a ND practicing shooting from a draw........Or someone shooting full auto with an AK and taking lines down.

Mitigate Risks..:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom