Japanese Arisaka in local shop... should I bite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    thanks for the advice, guys. i have a box of 7.7jap and i think i'll atke my type 99 out and shoot it next week :thumbsup:

here's to the experts :beer:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You mean after all this time you haven't yet fired that Arisaka?

You could do what I did with mine on its first shot: Hold the sucker at arms length with one arm and stand as far away as you can get with the rest of your body parts. Or you could duct tape it down and tie a string to the trigger.

None of us can make the judgement call on it's firability. That's on you to check out and do your due diligence. My experience with mine tells me you'll likely be pleasantly surprised with its accuracy and how well it shoots.

We expect a range report!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    You mean after all this time you haven't yet fired that Arisaka?

You could do what I did with mine on its first shot: Hold the sucker at arms length with one arm and stand as far away as you can get with the rest of your body parts. Or you could duct tape it down and tie a string to the trigger.

None of us can make the judgement call on it's firability. That's on you to check out and do your due diligence. My experience with mine tells me you'll likely be pleasantly surprised with its accuracy and how well it shoots.

We expect a range report!

heard that!

it's my general inexperience that has intimidated me and kept me from firing it. i trust you guys, and the collective knowledge of this forum, more than some random guy at the range. :thumbsup:

maybe i'll take it with me to green ridge this weekend since i know i'll have a partner to shoot with.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    heard that!

it's my general inexperience that has intimidated me and kept me from firing it. i trust you guys, and the collective knowledge of this forum, more than some random guy at the range. :thumbsup:

maybe i'll take it with me to green ridge this weekend since i know i'll have a partner to shoot with.

Cool, you can let him go first. :lol2:

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    There is an online reference to the arsenal marks, from those you should be able to tell if its an early or late production. I was told one I have was a "last ditch" but according to the arsenal markings it was made in '41, and it shoots fairly well by milsurp standards. Even if it is a "last ditch" you can always take a sawhorse with you and strap it to the saw horse, shooting down range while its attached. Of course, use your own best judgment.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom