• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I had a chance to pick up a minty CETME for $400 a few years ago and didn't jump on it... I just wasn't into guns at that point and I'd never really heard of a CETME...so I let it pass...I only kick myself a little bit for that lol

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    When I saw CETMEs for $400, it was my first exposure to civilian military style rifles in this country and I wasn't able to own them. I also remember $400 FALs.

By the time I was able to own guns and knew what those rifles were, I mourned. I wish for the days of $400 battle rifles. Today, finding any .308 battle rifle for under $1000 is a challenge.

Using the Dulles gun show as an example (where I acquired my CETME), I have seen exactly three .308 battle rifles for under $1000. Mine, a Greek inch pattern FAL for $850 and another CETME for $715. All the others were DSA guns (very rare) or PTR-91s (available).

My how times have changed! I fully understand the kicking yourself part.

For those interested, here is my CETME.

Matt

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'd go with a PTR-91, I have it on the list for when I make more money, lol... I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a new rifle. Maybe if a used one pops up under a grand... and I can sell some other stuff to make room for it...

Then again I've never shot one, and from what I hear the recoil is ridiculous.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Then again I've never shot one, and from what I hear the recoil is ridiculous.

The recoil isn't bad at all if you get one of the "c" models with the recoil compensator. It is more than an AR of course, but less than an M1A or FAL. I haven't shot one without a compensator, so I can't comment on that.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    The recoil isn't bad at all if you get one of the "c" models with the recoil compensator. It is more than an AR of course, but less than an M1A or FAL. I haven't shot one without a compensator, so I can't comment on that.

My perception was that my FAL had less recoil than my PTR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom