• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    Even MORE reasons to go with the 06, you're now talking elk, bear, moose in MO, and Saskatchewan. 200 and 220 gr bullets have a lot more oomph in the 06 than the .308, they don't even make a 220 in .308 I don't think.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I can see this is not going to be an easy choice. I do not expect this gun (whatever it is) to take down bear, moose, and elk. For that I would borrow the 7mm wby. Instead I just want something that I can target shoot relatively accurately (and cheaply) and go deer hunting with as well. I may end up with a 243 because my dad reloads them and has all the dies and supplies. When I finally make up my mind i'll be sure to post pics.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    okay i'm gunna throw out some options for youall to ponder....savage 11 vs. weatherby vanguard vs. tikka t3 vs. rem 700 vs. ruger hawkeye annnnnd on the pricier end we'll throw in an x-bolt....talk amongst yourselves....

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    How about a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. By far the most accurate of the mil-surps. Plenty of hunting and target loads available. It even held a worl 1k yrd. record. PLus a good one can be had for 300$.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I can see this is not going to be an easy choice. I do not expect this gun (whatever it is) to take down bear, moose, and elk. For that I would borrow the 7mm wby. Instead I just want something that I can target shoot relatively accurately (and cheaply) and go deer hunting with as well. I may end up with a 243 because my dad reloads them and has all the dies and supplies. When I finally make up my mind i'll be sure to post pics.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with the Finnish Mosin, it is VERY cheap to shoot surplus out of. The other choice would be 8mm mauser. These are both great deer rounds. 8mm Mauser is not as cheap as 7.62x54R, but it's cheap.

Although on the edge of usability an interesting choice could be the CZ-527 in either 7.62x39 or .223, while .223 is on the bottom edge of what is acceptable for deer, it's a possibility. 7.62x39 has a little more thump for hitting deer, but it too is on the bottom edge of acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_527

Mark

Ultimate Member
    walther WA2000

wa2000-ira3.jpg

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Anything mentioned should work just fine, but if you're planning Saskatchewan whitetails, I'd recommend something bigger than a .243--it'll make 'em dead, i'm sure, but those are some big ol' deer and given the price of a hunt up there, bigger holes leak faster. ;)

That said, why not add a few more pics to the thread....

My 700 5R before I shot the barrel out and decided to change things up on the new build:

ferret_piggy_cropped.jpg

dink.jpg

And the new huntin' rig, Model Seven in 7mm SAUM:

seven_swirly.jpg

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    how about the .280 rem. light bullet, flat like a .270. heavy bullet, knock down of a 7mm only a little less range. i reload for mineto a MV of 2800 (loaded down for accuracy) with a 140 grain ballistic silvertip. my velocity thresh hold is just beyond 400 yrds. Very little recoil, ammo can be intersting to find, it shoots .5 MOA with only a trigger job and of course hand loads. factory ammo was MOA. its a rem 700 LSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom