• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goofy810

Jan 14, 2013
    So my wife agreed to get her own gun (this way after oct 1 she won't have I take the training if she gets more as she will have had a regulated gun b4 oct 1 per the ****ed up sb281) she wants small like not much bigger then my Ruger ACP 380. I was looking at the sub compact kel-tec 9mm but wanted to see what others thought?
    Thanks

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I had a P11 for several years and never had a single problem with it as long as I used factory mags.. I put several thousand rounds through it including over 500 +p+ and it never skipped a beat. You may want to also look at Bersa. My 45 uc pro has 2500rds so far with no problems and it suprisingly accurate.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    BIG mistake.

She thinks she wants small because it looks less intimidating.

Small guns kick more, have more blast, and are much harder to shoot.

She will hate it, and it might turn her off to shooting entirely.

A full size gun that fits her hand is a better idea.

This subject seems to be coming up a lot. Take a look at these posts:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2343412#post2343412

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2343607&postcount=16

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2351907&postcount=22

Consider a medium frame .357 revolver, which is probably the most versatile handgun there is. Load it with mild .38 Special Mid Range Wadcutter (target) loads, and it is VERY pleasant to shoot. A mild "pop" and no recoil, very accurate. Load it with full power or +P .38s, all the way up to maximum power .357 Magnum loads, and it is a very respectable defense gun.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If she's fired your small gun and likes it, I don't see a problem with her getting one. I would base my decision on what she wants it for. CCW or range work etc. I wouldn't spend the extra money for a .357 when a .38+P will be plenty.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ifbthe real issue were KelTecs , I would share my experiences. But it's not.

As Threeband points outyou can't predict for anyone else what they will like and shoot well. And certain sterotypes are actively counterproductive.

Have her receive basic instruction , and handle and preferably fire a wide variety of handguns.

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    So my wife agreed to get her own gun (this way after oct 1 she won't have I take the training if she gets more as she will have had a regulated gun b4 oct 1 per the ****ed up sb281) she wants small like not much bigger then my Ruger ACP 380. I was looking at the sub compact kel-tec 9mm but wanted to see what others thought?
    Thanks
    Bersa thunder all the way gtg

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock

The problem with that is "Where to put it".

Mrs. Safetech is finally looking to get something smaller. She has her CCW. Her SR9 was okay in the winter. Lots of clothes to cover it. But now that the weather is getting warmer, it really limits her on when and how she carries. (She's tiny.)

She likes my SR9C that I carry. But that's still too big for her to conceal, wearing just jeans and a tee shirt.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The problem with that is "Where to put it".

Mrs. Safetech is finally looking to get something smaller. She has her CCW. Her SR9 was okay in the winter. Lots of clothes to cover it. But now that the weather is getting warmer, it really limits her on when and how she carries. (She's tiny.)

She likes my SR9C that I carry. But that's still too big for her to conceal, wearing just jeans and a tee shirt.

It sounds as if Mrs. Safetech has experience with handguns and understands and has grown used to recoil. If the OP's wife is new to handguns then Threeband is spot on.

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    Reasons for bersa
    Small just enough to cc and comfortable to shoot
    Rock solid
    In my opinion it's like ppk but won't slide bite you .
    I should be picking mine up in week bought 2-21-13 from ffl due any day if you'd like we could meet at a range she can try for her self. I am not a dealer just fan of bersa the non big name make that is often overlooked. I purchased because of opportunity and price point ( in front of me under $300) I was looking for new colt mustang good luck locating one now. I am glad I found it for 300 came with extra mag and leather holster, I was all over it. I did look at all of the guns on your list and as far as 9 vs 380 some small frames shoot very hard as you and others know but this bersa is an all day shooter. Sig sauer has a colt mustang clone maybe 290 or something it is also one to look at before you buy its very nice and has hands down the BEST sights out of all ccw

dentman217

Aug 2, 2012
    Sig p238 is the colt mustang improved and 290 is the 9mm version very nice guns IMHO
    My first pick for cc if price doesnt matter.
    The new mustang has been improved from questionable reliability to reliable however sig and bersa when cleaned regularly both solid trustworthy

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Take her to Continental or another range that rents and let her shoot a few sub-compacts. The right pistol is an individual choice, but in a tiny pocket pistol even more so.

I love Kahrs, as does my wife. Nice trigger and they feel less "snappy" than some other tiny pocket pistols. Also check out the S&W Shield. Both are superior to the Ruger/Kel-Tec in the same category IMO.

I like the look of the Bersas but have never shot one. The tiny Sigs are very appealing but no experience with those either.

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    When I got my S&W Bodyguard .380, the wife claimed it as "hers" until she actually shot it at the range. After 6 rounds she said it was too "snappy", said I could have it back and commandeered my 4" XD .45 for the rest of our time. I dig the BG though, it's a fun little back-up piece.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    BIG mistake.

She thinks she wants small because it looks less intimidating.

Small guns kick more, have more blast, and are much harder to shoot.

She will hate it, and it might turn her off to shooting entirely.

This subject seems to be coming up a lot. Take a look at these posts:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2343412#post2343412

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2343607&postcount=16

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2351907&postcount=22

Consider a medium frame .357 revolver, which is probably the most versatile handgun there is. Load it with mild .38 Special Mid Range Wadcutter (target) loads, and it is VERY pleasant to shoot. A mild "pop" and no recoil, very accurate. Load it with full power or +P .38s, all the way up to maximum power .357 Magnum loads, and it is a very respectable defense gun.

I agree. My wife wants to buy her first handgun for the exact same reason as the OP's wife. In fact, my wife read through SB281 and caught the training exemption on her own and then asked me about buying a handgun for her. She has only ever shot a 20 gauge semi-auto Beretta and that was 10+ years ago.

So, I knew I wanted something full frame with a small cartridge for her. Thought I would get a .380, but trying to find that cartridge in a full frame gun is almost impossible. So, 9mm in a P226 is what it is most likely going to be. Other option is 9mm in a P250 full frame.

scottymd

Mar 2, 2013
    MoCo Ag zone
    The Baretta PX4 Storm 9mm Compact is a great sized soft shooting firearm! Right sized, well made, 15 rounds, soft shooting with the rotating barrel, single/double action with safety. Well worth the look for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom