• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Plausibly but I disagree on the "less recoil" argument. I firmly believe that any difference in recoil between the two cartridges (having shot both) is negligible if you can distinguish any at all.

On a side note, with a .260 you can shoot a heavier bullet than a .243 which I believe gives it greater bridge capability if you have to take down bigger game.

As an aside, since you mentioned the .243, why didn't you mention the.244 (aka 6mm Rem). You have the same benefits of a .243 with a .30-06 length cartridge thereby giving you greater powder capacity.

You can buy .243 almost anywhere. Plus you can load the .243 up with 55 grain Vmaxs and blast varmints or load it up with 105's and kill deer sized game. I just think with all of the criteria the .243 is easily the best "Jack OF all Trades" cartridge out there. Heck even many F-class shooters are going back to the .243 as the 115 bullets out now have high BC's and can be pushed over 3k FPS.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Yes it is but again, how many do we need? The 284 was designed for short actions (Model 88 and 100 Win) and it parallels the 280 Rem. Maybe a bit of Thoreau's simplicity is in order. :)

We could easily get rid of half the cartridges out there but yet they're always introducing more.

That's business these days, always pushing for higher profit margins. I like 280 and especially the 280 AI but finding 280 on the shelf is next to impossible. One of my deciding factors in buying a 270 WSM was that, even though it's expensive, you can find a box or two sitting on shelves in a lot of shops. Even my local Walmart has 4 boxes of 270 WSM sitting in the case. Imagine that...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's business these days, always pushing for higher profit margins. I like 280 and especially the 280 AI but finding 280 on the shelf is next to impossible. One of my deciding factors in buying a 270 WSM was that, even though it's expensive, you can find a box or two sitting on shelves in a lot of shops. Even my local Walmart has 4 boxes of 270 WSM sitting in the case. Imagine that...

Yeah but that 7mm08 is a pretty cartridge and lots cheaper BUT I'll never own it..... I'm stuck on the 06. :) (and 44 Mag)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah but that 7mm08 is a pretty cartridge and lots cheaper BUT I'll never own it..... I'm stuck on the 06. :) (and 44 Mag)

I've shot and handled a Remington Model Seven in 7/08 and it was a dandly little rifle...and I mean LITTLE. Great carbine and while it's not a super "impressive" round, it gets the job done on all sorts of critters. It's a great round for recoil sensitive shooters.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I've shot and handled a Remington Model Seven in 7/08 and it was a dandly little rifle...and I mean LITTLE. Great carbine and while it's not a super "impressive" round, it gets the job done on all sorts of critters. It's a great round for recoil sensitive shooters.

There's hotter but this will do for about anybody

140 gr (9.1 g) Nosler Partition 2,800 ft/s (850 m/s) 2,437 ft·lbf (3,304 J)
    150 gr (9.7 g) Speer Hot-Cor SP 2,650 ft/s (810 m/s) 2,339 ft·lbf (3,171 J):thumbsup:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    308, 30-06, and 270 are all good choices. I think the first two are best for all-around use. Whichever you pick, it is only as good as the quality/accuracy of the gun and ammo you buy. In other words, target ammo out of a low-rent rifle is generally not comparable to match ammo out of a high-quality ($$) rifle.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Boom Boom said:
    308, 30-06, and 270 are all good choices. I think the first two are best for all-around use. Whichever you pick, it is only as good as the quality/accuracy of the gun and ammo you buy. In other words, target ammo out of a low-rent rifle is generally not comparable to match ammo out of a high-quality ($$) rifle.

I pick .308 of the three for vast availability of reloading supplies and overall ability of the round when used in a good rifle.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Always trusted my old 30.06 Remington pump model 760 Gamemaster. They don't make the model 760 any longer. It's taken down a lot of deer.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    .260 rem /thread

long range
    close range
    deer
    varmints
    everything in between

I love my 260's and agree with the counsler, but in the overall the 260 is a little lacking in the ass dept. I have loaded 260 with a 160 gr rn bullet and I would not have a second thought laying the cross hair on an elk with this round. But the 30/06 offers me the option for up to a 220 gr bullet.

As I said in my other post in this thread, if you are going to hunt plains game in africa I want the option of the 185 gr or bigger bullet. Its hard to nail down on round for everything. Cause I sure would not use a 30/06 for lion hunting

Oh buy the way rusty your dad is a great guy!!!! it was nice meeting him last month.

Last edited:

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I love my 260's and agree with the counsler, but in the overall the 260 is a little lacking in the ass dept. I have loaded 260 with a 160 gr rn bullet and I would not have a second thought laying the cross hair on an elk with this round. But the 30/06 offers me the option for up to a 220 gr bullet.

As I said in my other post in this thread, if you are going to hut plains game in africa I want the option of the 185 gr or bigger bullet. Its hard to nail down on round for everything. Cause I sure would not use a 30/06 for lion hunting

Oh buy the way rusty your dad was a great guy!!!!

Thanks and I agree that the .06 is a GREAT all time round. You really can't beat it in availability, loadability, and lethality.

As for my dad, far as I know, he still is a great guy...lol:thumbsup:;)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This thread is worth resurrecting. To me, the Jack of All Trades caliber, if it were more readily available, would be the 7mm-08 Rem. Since it's not, I will say 243 Win. Flat shooting. Widely available. Good for teaching young shooters. Just about any model gun is chambered in it. Can hunt varmints and deer. Mild shooter but with some power behind it.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    In my opinion in MD and all other states it would be the 45/70. I have been using a 45/70 for 40+ years, have shot moose, bear, deer, elk and hogs. It is an older cartage and you can shoot from 300 to 500 grain shells. It has made a big insurgence in the 90s and continues to gain popularity. They make pistols that shoot the 45/70, single shot, lever actions and bolt action rifles are very common and made by many manufactures well under 1K. I have made kill shot at 200 yards with open sights. My first moose in Maine was killed at 150 yards with a 450 grain cast. When I lived in Maine the majority of the hunters used a 45/70. In Alaska it was a quite of mixture of calibers and the was always a couple of us using 45/70s. In Montana the guys I was hunting with all had 45/70s except one who had a 7mm mag. In short it is personal preference like asking which car or truck you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom