• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Don't recall ever having had that kind of issue with a Glock. Maybe the thick callus buildup from years of self abuse.

All joking aside, what kills me for shooting is when the psoriasis kicks in and the gun starts opening up the affected areas :(

Last edited:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I dont have it, but my father has a gen 4 19, and I've probably put somewhere around 1k through it personally. I've never had a problem with it. The sights dont bother me, and I've never suffered "glock finger" in any of my various range sessions with it, including one that was around 300 rounds. I dont shoot it as well as I do my fnp9, but I'm happy with it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My Gen 4 is a G26 and I have had zero issues with it. I looked hard at a Gen 3 26 but the ergonomics for me just didn't work. The mag release on the Gen 4 is so easy to manipulate. I believe that the recoil spring/rod setup is very similar for the subcompacts btwn the two generations which may account for them not being as problematic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The internals of the gen3 and gen 4 26 are basically the same. The genIV 26 is the one genIV i'd get. I seriously had internal strife trying to decide between it and the m&pc. I'm ultimately glad i went with the m&p, but would've been happy with the gIV26 as well. I just shot a ton through my dad's g19 thurs. I did get a little scraping on my thumb from the left side of the slide, but other than that enjoyed shooting it a lot. It felt weird shooting it compared to shooting my m&p9c and p99.

The glock's slide just felt weird and clunky as it cycled to the rear. It felt like it was cycling in slow motion or something and i could feel the spring compressing and extending more than in other guns. I didn't notice any glock knuckle...as that part of my finger is nice and calloused from the harsh trigger guard on my t15bdx lower. I would instantly change the sights though to something more similar to my meprolights on the p99. The glock sights were fast, but just didn't feel right. I guess it's a training issue that could be overcome as I got used to the sight picture, but they still bugged me.

The it's not a genIV 19 i was shooting(actually it's a 2nd gen) so i didn't have that odd bump on the safety plunger nub to increase friction and make the pull feel weird. It's also been nice and broken in, so it's fairly smooth. I still can't stand the trigger safety on glocks and the v-shaped front profile of it. I'd much rather have it feel like the ppq's trigger.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well i will buy everyones problematic gen 4's. Bc they are junk ill pay 200-250 a pop to get that horrid turd away from you all

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Well i will buy everyones problematic gen 4's. Bc they are junk ill pay 200-250 a pop to get that horrid turd away from you all

No deal! I *think* I fixed mine. I need to shoot it more though. Even though I had some trouble with it, as long as I prove that it's working properly, I have no intentions of getting rid of it.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    That must make a whole two of us in the whole history of the "internets". My Kimber as been 99% flawless and looks as good as it performs.

That being said, my brother carries a glock and as for quite some time. For weight, reliability and overall concealability, I'm seriously considering a different carry piece.

I guess the jury is out on the new ones from the sounds of it. Comparing a 1911 with tight slide tolerances and a totally different design and material make up, with Glock ........? I guess.

I bought a kimber 1911 a while back and it's ruined me for everything else. I love the 1911 style. Looked at and shot some glocks and a Sig 226 and nothing even came close to the 1911. I hate the "mushy" triggers. Ended up getting a Springfield Fully Loaded for a 9mm.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ok so can someone explain the recoil spring issue?

Extractor issue? Is the extractor any different than a gen 3?

The frame flexing? Is the frame any different than the gen 3? I know the grip is different but i mean structurally?

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    The extractor has changed between Gen 3 and Gen 4. I can't recall the details, but many seem to think this has played the biggest part in FTE issues, but is not the entire story.

The flex frame is a result of more people using the built in picatinny rail to mount lights. Supposedly the extra weight, combined with over tightening the mount leads to frame flex during recoil

No idea about the recoil spring. I eventually got tired of reading and figured it would be best to buy a new/used Gen 3, and call it a day.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The extractor has changed between Gen 3 and Gen 4. I can't recall the details, but many seem to think this has played the biggest part in FTE issues, but is not the entire story.

The flex frame is a result of more people using the built in picatinny rail to mount lights. Supposedly the extra weight, combined with over tightening the mount leads to frame flex during recoil

No idea about the recoil spring. I eventually got tired of reading and figured it would be best to buy a new/used Gen 3, and call it a day.

I've seen people actually deform their frame over-tightening crappy doodads.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

The frame flexing? Is the frame any different than the gen 3? I know the grip is different but i mean structurally?

supposedly they've gone to a MIM extractor now on the 9's. It effects the gen IV and gen 3's that are new. The extractors have been reported to have rough areas that need to be filed down and smoothed over to allow them to function correctly. After market extractors remedy a lot of the issues some people have had.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334008244.050105.jpg

Recoil spring- Glock uses the same recoil springs on the 40s and 9s of the same frame sizes, when the gen4's first came out, the spring was way too strong for 9mm range ammo, supposedly it worked ok with full power loads, I don't know- mine has the updated spring. It was a problem and they had to revise the part.

Extractor- the new extractors, well, they suck. They went to MIM as opposed to the cast ones they used to make. They also changed the design of the claw 'to assist feeding' at the cost of reliable extraction and ejection. Im including a pic of my factory (problematic) extractor next to my lone wolf extractor that is a throwback to glocks original design and manufacturing. The lone wolf part is in front, glock part to the rear. I'd love to see someones new Gen3 extractor to see if it's the same as the one the 4's have, I've heard of extractor issues on the new 3's but less so than the 4's.

As far as the frame flexing, I've HEARD this is just a problem on the 40s, I make no promises that that is completely true. It is a problem when a light is installed and somehow negatively affects cycling with the greater recoil of the 40 over the 9. I have not heard of this happening in 9. Structurally, I believe the guns are the same, think of the Gen4 as more of a tweaked Gen3 S.F. with different texturing. I can say that I can flex the front end of the frame of my 19 by hand without much force.

I can't link to it using tapatalk, but search for "Glock Gen4 issues" and read about people's experiences with them. This was my first glock, and unless they fix the problems with them at the factory, I will not be buying another new one.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air

The video was hilarious. But hey I'll pay $275 for any Gen 4 turds anybody wants to sell me. I like to help my fellow MDS's out. :D :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom