• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Any one try a Lee EZ X Rod (.223) in a Lee Universal De-primer die?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why would you put an expander into a die that does not size the neck?????

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    I was thinking I could modify it for a custom application. I have never seen either the die or the expander and was thinking ahead. If the shank of the expander does not fit the head of the die, I will try something else.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I keep the ops separate... decapping die for decapping and an expander die for expanding necks. I load a lot of different boolits and have several different expanders, depending on what I am loading (jacketed, cast, caliber, etc... ). Expanding is done after sizing in my operations when required.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You only need an expander when you reduce the neck size. So part of the sizing die.

Lee Univeral Decapper, just punches out the primer, nothing else.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You should probably go with RCBS because it's green and the Left likes that.

Lee seems to be a problem right now.

Same for Longstreet, Picket, Hood, etc...

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Lee Univeral Decapper, just punches out the primer, nothing else.

Yes, was looking for punch options. No sizing required.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    Why would you put an expander into a die that does not size the neck?????

Not that OP is doing this, but if you want to FL size and neck expand in different steps, like if you are using a size/trim die and RT1200.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, once you full length resize, trying to shove the expander into the neck may crush the case.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the universal decap rod goes in the universal decap die.

the ez x rod goes in sizing dies. its beefy. supposedly you can hammer on it to remove stuck cases.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    The problem is, once you full length resize, trying to shove the expander into the neck may crush the case.

You might with some older thin wall cases like hornet.

I've done this upwards of 20,000 times in modern bottleneck cartridges with no crushed cases yet. I use either a carbine expander or lyman M die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You shove the expander into the neck after sizing?????

OK, if it works for you.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It is often done when loading cast boolits.. ;)

Noe makes a whole range of expanders to be used with the Lee expanding die for various cast boolit applications.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    You shove the expander into the neck after sizing?????

OK, if it works for you.

Yep, trim/size in the same station with a Dillon RT1200. It trims and FL sizes but does not neck size. Have to do that in a different step. High volume goes much faster to prep on the progressive press.

Also do it with cast bullets. The neck needs to be flared, so it does not make sense to neck expand once and then do it again to flare the neck. I FL size without the neck expander, and then run the cases through an M die.

Brass needs less trimming doing it this way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When you say it FL sizes but not neck sizes, it does not reduce the neck size, or it does not neck expand?

Different things.

Why would you expand twice?

to neck expand once and then do it again to flare the neck

When I load cast bullets in pistol cases the neck expander will flare.

When I load them in rifle cases, I do not flare.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    When you say it FL sizes but not neck sizes, it does not reduce the neck size, or it does not neck expand?

Different things.

The 1200 trim dies do not have any expander or decapper in them. They have to full length size so the case is held in place so it doesn't spin with the cutter head.

My 650 processing heads are as follows.
    1. Universal decapping die and primer pocket swager.
    2. Blank
    3. Rt 1200 to size the outside of the body and neck.
    4. Blank
    5. Lyman M die

I use the Whidden tool heads with the UT tool head locks. Very consistent and rock solid.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A couple of things. I would probably ream out the neck sizing part of the 1200 die to avoid over sizing the neck, then just use a neck sizing doe, before or after, to handle the neck.

And if not, still use a neck sizing die, probably a bushing type, but without any bushing if the next is already sized.

Oversizing the neck is a god way to reduce the life of your brass.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Pinecone...

The 1200 trim die xoes not oversize the neck. It sizes the neck the same way that a normal fl sizing die does. The m die does the same thing an expander does in a fl die in a separate operation. They have been used for decades to expand rifle cases for cast bullets. The 1200 does not chamfer the case mouth, but cuts clean enough to make chamfering unnecessary.

The m die is like shoving a bullet into the mouth of the case. This bullet just happens to be a carbide mandrel on the end of a die. It does not oversize. With quite literally over 100k rounds loaded in this manner over the last 20 years, I have never seen any signs of premature brass failure due to fatigue.

OP... Instead of trying to cobble something together to expand your necks, I would recommend the Lyman M die. That expander is designed to go into a piece of unsized brass and be drawn out after the sizing operation. It is 1 way like Charles Street. The M die was designed from the ground up to expand from the outside. I think you are going to end up getting frustrated with this one and end up buying the M die anyway.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013

Different things.

Yes, that was a typo. I meant neck expand.

My process is exactly like Caeb75's. Works great and I find that my cases last longer. Might have to do with the M die neck expanding downward.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone...

The 1200 trim die xoes not oversize the neck. It sizes the neck the same way that a normal fl sizing die does. The m die does the same thing an expander does in a fl die in a separate operation. They have been used for decades to expand rifle cases for cast bullets. The 1200 does not chamfer the case mouth, but cuts clean enough to make chamfering unnecessary.

The m die is like shoving a bullet into the mouth of the case. This bullet just happens to be a carbide mandrel on the end of a die. It does not oversize. With quite literally over 100k rounds loaded in this manner over the last 20 years, I have never seen any signs of premature brass failure due to fatigue.

OP... Instead of trying to cobble something together to expand your necks, I would recommend the Lyman M die. That expander is designed to go into a piece of unsized brass and be drawn out after the sizing operation. It is 1 way like Charles Street. The M die was designed from the ground up to expand from the outside. I think you are going to end up getting frustrated with this one and end up buying the M die anyway.

A FL die does oversize the neck. That is why you need an expander. It reduces the neck to smaller than required, then the expander EXPANDS the neck to the proper inside diameter.

This is why many precision rifle shooters use bushing dies, to pick the proper outside diameter to size to, without needing to expand.

Over reducing the neck size, then expanding it again is working the brass more, and brass work hardens. So you either reduce the life of the case or increase the need to anneal the case mouth.

I was not familiar with the M die, but it looks like it pretty much like a second stage die for straight wall cases, like use for pistols. I assume that there is a nice taper to allow the epxanding plug to enter the case and slowly expand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom