• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Just starting to reload for the 350 Legend. Found some Hornady 170 gr SP bullets and Starline brass. I hit the range with some Winchester factory ammo to try out. It was pretty conservative at 2250 fps and I'm sure handloads will do about 2500 fps. ES was 40 and SD was 17.8. Accuracy was 1" @ 100. Rifle is a Savage Axis. I have test loads on the bench awaiting a crimp die. I'll be testing A-11FS, Lil-Gun, and A-5744 powders for the time being. More to follow. Based on research, I hear that feeding in AR rifles is an issue. I'll update after my next range trip

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I also have the Axis in a left hand. I dropped a Timney trigger in mine, which was a HUGE upgrade from factory. Went from about 6.5 to a perfect, consistent 3 lbs.

Do you notice the bolt stacking issue when cocking ? It's pretty pronounced on mine. It's really the only thing I don't care for, but I can live with it. I haven't done any reloading for it yet. Thanks for sharing your findings

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Make friends with the guy Winchester ripped this off from, or do a little reading on forums other than MDS, and you will find that all the “problems” have already been solved.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Got an Axis as well, haven't had time to seriously shoot it cause stuff keeps coming up to side track me. Have Lee dies for it and it of course came with load data but not much. Any of you know where there is loading data for the 350 Legend?

Jef, not sure what "bolt stacking" is. Awaiting education.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Jeff, I cut 2 coils from the trigger spring on this one. Lowered trigger from 6 lbs to 2.5.
    Polished it and it is smooth as silk.
    What did winchester steal from whom?
    No idea what bolt stacking is.
    I'll post more after the next range trip. There is some data on Hodgdons website and Western Powders says that data for H-110 can be used with their 11FS powder.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri

There are two guys on the Internet forums that go by Moleman and 1BIGGUN that came up with straight walled cartridges in .358, .400, And .444 to use in AR’s for states that have straight wall cartridge restrictions. Winchester copied Moleman’s chamber reamer and chamber drawing specs exactly. to. the. last. little. detail. On everything except giving him credit for it. That pretty much constitutes intellectual property theft if I’ve ever seen it. :sad20:

Funny thing is that neither of them wanted any money for the invention of their wildcats. They just would have liked a little credit from Winchester instead of them claiming they developed it in house when it had been on the internet for a decade already.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Hornady does similar stuff. The creedmoor is for the most part a 250 Savage Ackley Improved with a 30* shoulder and a few thousandths different in should width and head diameter. I make 250 ai cases by just running 25 creedmoor brass in my die and fireforming the shoulder.

Range trip with 350 Legend firing Hornady 170 gr SP, Starline brass, and CCI-450 primer. Tested Accurate 11FS, Lil-Gun, and 5744 powders.
    My results confirm the round doesnt like to be pushed hard as accuracy falls off. Rifle hates 5744 as I thought it might and velocities were low.
    11FS shot best with a .26" group @ 100. 2266 fps ES 2, SD 1.7. I think the Lee FCD was huge here, getting consistent crimps.
    Lil-Gun had good velocities (2300+) and decent numbers but groups were running 1"
    I wanted to try N-110 but couldnt find any data. Vihtavouri didnt have the size bullets to test to develop the data. Alliant 2400 might be a good one if they ever develop data.
    350 is a much better alternative to a slug if you hate slugs as I do. Hope this provides a bit of insight into it.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I think I may have my terminology a bit confused, and after a little more internet reading, it's apparently a timing issue common to Savage Axis and 110 rifles called bolt lift. Supposedly it's fixed by polishing in several different sports, to correct engagement of the bolt surfaces to lessen the weight it takes to cycle the bolt handle. Which sounds well above my current skills level. Here's one thread I located on it from a popular Savage forum https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?57628-New-Axis-Stiff-Bolt-Lift&. I shot mine at 50 yards, and could have rounds touching one another - when I could do my part of course !

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Jeff, I cut 2 coils from the trigger spring on this one. Lowered trigger from 6 lbs to 2.5.
    Polished it and it is smooth as silk.
    No idea what bolt stacking is.
    I'll post more after the next range trip. There is some data on Hodgdons website and Western Powders says that data for H-110 can be used with their 11FS powder.

I considered doing that with mine, but just decided to buy the Timney, more or less a lack of patience, to do any tinkering, plus I like their triggers anyway - just my personal preference.

Adjustment was pretty easy, all of my Timneys are adjusted to 3 lb for consistency which is nice, especially since I'm not Carlos Hathcock :lol2:

Can't really comment on the Winchester thing - I ran across somewhere it was a redesign of another cartridge, but I really don't know..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom