• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    Have a question for the experts, wife and I just built a lower, got to the buffer tube install and there is no notch in the castle nut to stake the plate in place. What should I do to keep the two together?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Best option, get a castle nut with notches.. or... you can file or dremel a notch in it, touch it up with a little cold blue and it will be just as effective after staking (just try to keep the notch/s square on the sides like a mil-spec nut).. ;)

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    Any reason to not get the CMMG lower parts kit? I like that I can get it without the grip and trigger group. I don't see that option at Rock River, Bravo, etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, I bought a Spike's lower at the Ho Co gun show (sorry, every time I say gun show, I still want to flex my biceps like some WWF wrestler...like a 12 year old). I was going to just buy it in case laws change this winter, but now my neighbor is talking me in to building it once I can pick up the lower in a week. I don't have the funds to do it right away, but the idea is growing on me. This would be my first AR-15.

I am 95% sure I am going to get a PSA MOE complete lower kit, but sure what exact flavor, but I do want it in OD green. Thoughts? How good is the trigger? I haven't found much in the way of reviews, but my neighbor loves the PSA kits. I don't need a target trigger on it, but something that breaks pretty cleanly with a minimum of grit would be nice and preferably not over about 5-6lbs trigger pull. Knowing me, I'll either get tired of the basic configuration and modify it eventually or build a 2nd one, this time nicer.

I have absolutely no idea on an upper. If I don't end up with multiple lowers some day, I am almost certain I'll end up with multiple uppers. However, whatever I do get, probably this fall/winter, is likely to be it for a couple of years. What I think I want is an 18 or 20" barrel with a 1:7-1:9 twist, mid or rifle length gas block, possibly M4 ramps (I know less needed with mid/rifle length gas block, but I want it to feed all ammo well, including green tip), no front sight as this will be scoped with probably a 1.5-4.5x32 scope QD rings and flip up BUIS. Chrome lines? Any kind of special coatings on the bolt carrier?

My requirements, or at least desires, is a complete upper assembly less than $500, or if more than 500, really close. Preferably with MOE hand guard to match the grip and butt stock MOE OD green, but I am fine if it is a mismatch and I can replace it to match later. I'd like to be able to stabilize up through 69gr bullets, but heavier wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind. I don't know that I'll ever use this for deer hunting, but if I do the extra barrel and stabilizing heavier bullets I feel like is very useful. Ideally I am hoping I can find something that with good hunting ammo can manage <2MOA. It is mostly going to be a range rifle, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll absolutely use it for ground hogs, coyote or turkey and I'll likely some day try it for deer, at least the once. Oh and in 5.56 or .223wylde as I am sure was evident.

I've been trying to do my research and read reviews, but I still feel like I am lost, in part because so few manufacturers seem to either make 20" or 18" barreled uppers, or if they do, they don't have them in stock or available for back order. As my first build, I do not want to buy a stripped upper and piece it together. If that means I HAVE to get a 16" upper, so be it, but I'd really, really prefer not. The closest I can find is Deltron, but they don't currently have 20" uppers...but maybe they will in 3-6 months when I might buy one and Stagarms...which I am a little unclear as to which ones might be 18/20". Thoughts on either manufacturer? Others that might be decent (I don't need the best of the best, but I don't want garbage)?

If I were to get an upper that has an A2 front sight on it, how easy are they to remove since I want a low scope and it would get in the way of that? I assume they are removable?

Thanks!

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So, I bought a Spike's lower at the Ho Co gun show (sorry, every time I say gun show, I still want to flex my biceps like some WWF wrestler...like a 12 year old). I was going to just buy it in case laws change this winter, but now my neighbor is talking me in to building it once I can pick up the lower in a week. I don't have the funds to do it right away, but the idea is growing on me. This would be my first AR-15.

I am 95% sure I am going to get a PSA MOE complete lower kit, but sure what exact flavor, but I do want it in OD green. Thoughts? How good is the trigger? I haven't found much in the way of reviews, but my neighbor loves the PSA kits. I don't need a target trigger on it, but something that breaks pretty cleanly with a minimum of grit would be nice and preferably not over about 5-6lbs trigger pull. Knowing me, I'll either get tired of the basic configuration and modify it eventually or build a 2nd one, this time nicer.

I have absolutely no idea on an upper. If I don't end up with multiple lowers some day, I am almost certain I'll end up with multiple uppers. However, whatever I do get, probably this fall/winter, is likely to be it for a couple of years. What I think I want is an 18 or 20" barrel with a 1:7-1:9 twist, mid or rifle length gas block, possibly M4 ramps (I know less needed with mid/rifle length gas block, but I want it to feed all ammo well, including green tip), no front sight as this will be scoped with probably a 1.5-4.5x32 scope QD rings and flip up BUIS. Chrome lines? Any kind of special coatings on the bolt carrier?

My requirements, or at least desires, is a complete upper assembly less than $500, or if more than 500, really close. Preferably with MOE hand guard to match the grip and butt stock MOE OD green, but I am fine if it is a mismatch and I can replace it to match later. I'd like to be able to stabilize up through 69gr bullets, but heavier wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind. I don't know that I'll ever use this for deer hunting, but if I do the extra barrel and stabilizing heavier bullets I feel like is very useful. Ideally I am hoping I can find something that with good hunting ammo can manage <2MOA. It is mostly going to be a range rifle, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll absolutely use it for ground hogs, coyote or turkey and I'll likely some day try it for deer, at least the once. Oh and in 5.56 or .223wylde as I am sure was evident.

I've been trying to do my research and read reviews, but I still feel like I am lost, in part because so few manufacturers seem to either make 20" or 18" barreled uppers, or if they do, they don't have them in stock or available for back order. As my first build, I do not want to buy a stripped upper and piece it together. If that means I HAVE to get a 16" upper, so be it, but I'd really, really prefer not. The closest I can find is Deltron, but they don't currently have 20" uppers...but maybe they will in 3-6 months when I might buy one and Stagarms...which I am a little unclear as to which ones might be 18/20". Thoughts on either manufacturer? Others that might be decent (I don't need the best of the best, but I don't want garbage)?

If I were to get an upper that has an A2 front sight on it, how easy are they to remove since I want a low scope and it would get in the way of that? I assume they are removable?

Thanks!

I can comment on the PSA triggers. I've used two of their basic LPKs and have been really happy with their triggers. No grit, pretty good for a $45 LPK. I will say that the trigger guard roll pin in both kits was a problem and I ended up getting spring install ones.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I may as well jump in ask questions too. Everyone always said it was cheaper to build than buy(which maybe that meant build quality cheaper than you can buy it). I have an Aero precision upper that already has forward assist and dust cover installed. I have a CMMG LPK. I'm already at around $130. I want to build a rifle to shoot at the range as well as use for HD and a truck gun on my family's farm in WV. Obviously it has to be MD legal. Caliber 5.56, 223 Wylde, have thought about 300 Blkout and 458 SOCOM although I figure the 458 will cost me more? Can someone point me in the right direction? There's a company I saw called Specops who sells complete barreled uppers for $299-around $400, but none are MD compliant. I want to do it as a cheap as possible.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I may as well jump in ask questions too. Everyone always said it was cheaper to build than buy(which maybe that meant build quality cheaper than you can buy it). I have an Aero precision upper that already has forward assist and dust cover installed. I have a CMMG LPK. I'm already at around $130. I want to build a rifle to shoot at the range as well as use for HD and a truck gun on my family's farm in WV. Obviously it has to be MD legal. Caliber 5.56, 223 Wylde, have thought about 300 Blkout and 458 SOCOM although I figure the 458 will cost me more? Can someone point me in the right direction? There's a company I saw called Specops who sells complete barreled uppers for $299-around $400, but none are MD compliant. I want to do it as a cheap as possible.
    I can send you a parts list for 556 that is free floated.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

I've assembled 2 or 3 rifles with the PSA kits now, and they're good stuff. The trick with PSA is getting on their email list and waiting for deals. They rotate sales and change prices on a really regular basis, so if you don't mind waiting you'll eventually get a deal on the stuff you want. I would recommend waiting for one of their kits that uses one of the ALG triggers (either the QMS or the ACT) - for a very small (sometimes like $15) increase in price you'll end up with a much nicer trigger than the basic one. They also put the buffer tube / stock kits on sale regularly as well, so you should be able to get deals on the specific parts you want if you watch their sales.

Oh, also: definitely don't buy the "PTAC" stuff - it's a separate company's products that they carry, and they're lower quality. I would also avoid the "Freedom" line if you can - it's PSA's stuff, but not as nice as their normal or Premium lines.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can comment on the PSA triggers. I've used two of their basic LPKs and have been really happy with their triggers. No grit, pretty good for a $45 LPK. I will say that the trigger guard roll pin in both kits was a problem and I ended up getting spring install ones.

Thanks! The spikes lower I bought has an integral trigger guard for better or worse.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've assembled 2 or 3 rifles with the PSA kits now, and they're good stuff. The trick with PSA is getting on their email list and waiting for deals. They rotate sales and change prices on a really regular basis, so if you don't mind waiting you'll eventually get a deal on the stuff you want. I would recommend waiting for one of their kits that uses one of the ALG triggers (either the QMS or the ACT) - for a very small (sometimes like $15) increase in price you'll end up with a much nicer trigger than the basic one. They also put the buffer tube / stock kits on sale regularly as well, so you should be able to get deals on the specific parts you want if you watch their sales.

Oh, also: definitely don't buy the "PTAC" stuff - it's a separate company's products that they carry, and they're lower quality. I would also avoid the "Freedom" line if you can - it's PSA's stuff, but not as nice as their normal or Premium lines.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom